• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
High winds and rain in Reno.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The "trick shot" mid-way through this clip - where I toss the camera to my daughter - is possible only because it is a 360 camera. Not otherwise possible to have everything so stable and framed. The camera was actually spinning randomly in the air when I threw it. :D

I was wondering what was going on - pretty neat!

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll go get in a few run at Squaw today but not expecting anything great. Alpine was fun corn yesterday until about 1pm.
At my house (7100 ASL) by Diamond Peak it snowed quite hard- mostly melted on warm surfaces but on top of existing snow it was a nice half inch at minimum. Now it's all melting again, but will be nice to freshen surfaces a bit. Tomorrow might be a grab fest though.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New Topic: next year's pass : Ikon plus what?

Wise Mavens of Skitalk:

I'm interested in POV on what to do for next year. This year I did an Ikon full pass (and really enjoyed Squaw on blackout days which were often good snow with low lines) and a Diamond Peak pass since I live in IV. My theory was to ski DP on storm days, occasional afternoons for exercise and that kind of thing.

How the year turned out, DP closed the upper mountain on most storm days, and I actually found myself buying Rose tickets a few times in the season seeking altitude when we had that long Feb and Early March thaw. DP never really got what I would call truly healthy coverage in the trees except for a couple weeks. I still enjoyed skiing there but for next year would probably just get a midweek pass since all I will use it for is little afternoons out and living in IV it's very inexpensive.

So for next year, since I really do love SVAM, I'll buy another Ikon full pass. I'm just torn on what to do for the rest. I like the pass holder experience where you don't need to fuss with a ticket and just show up and ski as you like, so I'm tempted to buy another pass product to cover what in my opinion SVAM doesn't cover- storm/trees, and high altitude.

To me the choices are a Rose midweek+Sunday pass or an Epic Tahoe local pass. NS has good storm skiing and HV good altitude. Given the realities of my life I don't see myself getting down to KW very often as full days are difficult for me, so that's not of a ton of value. Rose is a more convenient drive certainly but the drive to SVAM from me (40 minutes) doesn't bother me. I think Sierra is maybe more of a drive than I would want to do, and Homewood passes are expensive- though both are great skiing it doesn't seem like they address my issues.

Thoughts? Or someone thinks I'm nuts and should just buy Rose day tickets when it's hot out and Homewood day passes in storms? Is Rose better in storms than I know (I've never done storm skiing there but given the elevation and exposure it seems like it could get closed out). It may be I am overweighting this season's weather and crowd conditions in my math, but it's the first season I've lived locally.

BTW, I used to think Squaw had decent storm skiing and still do but these days it's just too many people there for the low capacity on Red Dog and Far East- and when it's howling I personally just don't feel safe going up KT. too many ways to hurt yourself in low vis up there.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
New Topic: next year's pass : Ikon plus what?

Wise Mavens of SkiTalk:

I'm interested in POV on what to do for next year. This year I did an Ikon full pass (and really enjoyed Squaw on blackout days which were often good snow with low lines) and a Diamond Peak pass since I live in IV. My theory was to ski DP on storm days, occasional afternoons for exercise and that kind of thing.

How the year turned out, DP closed the upper mountain on most storm days, and I actually found myself buying Rose tickets a few times in the season seeking altitude when we had that long Feb and Early March thaw. DP never really got what I would call truly healthy coverage in the trees except for a couple weeks. I still enjoyed skiing there but for next year would probably just get a midweek pass since all I will use it for is little afternoons out and living in IV it's very inexpensive.

So for next year, since I really do love SVAM, I'll buy another Ikon full pass. I'm just torn on what to do for the rest. I like the pass holder experience where you don't need to fuss with a ticket and just show up and ski as you like, so I'm tempted to buy another pass product to cover what in my opinion SVAM doesn't cover- storm/trees, and high altitude.

To me the choices are a Rose midweek+Sunday pass or an Epic Tahoe local pass. NS has good storm skiing and HV good altitude. Given the realities of my life I don't see myself getting down to KW very often as full days are difficult for me, so that's not of a ton of value. Rose is a more convenient drive certainly but the drive to SVAM from me (40 minutes) doesn't bother me. I think Sierra is maybe more of a drive than I would want to do, and Homewood passes are expensive- though both are great skiing it doesn't seem like they address my issues.

Thoughts? Or someone thinks I'm nuts and should just buy Rose day tickets when it's hot out and Homewood day passes in storms? Is Rose better in storms than I know (I've never done storm skiing there but given the elevation and exposure it seems like it could get closed out). It may be I am overweighting this season's weather and crowd conditions in my math, but it's the first season I've lived locally.

BTW, I used to think Squaw had decent storm skiing and still do but these days it's just too many people there for the low capacity on Red Dog and Far East- and when it's howling I personally just don't feel safe going up KT. too many ways to hurt yourself in low vis up there.
Vail gives you a) the best bet to be open in high winds and b) a high altitude resort for warm/low tide days. As much as I like Rose, and supporting an independent, the Tahoe Local literally gives you two for one. Plus it is cheaper.

freddie

Booting up
Skier
how is mammoth the week between Christmas and New Years on the week days not the weekend.

same for Presidents week in Feb the weekdays not the weekends.

Thinking for next season to go for 3 nights something like arrive on a Tue and depart on a Friday?

freddie

Booting up
Skier
with the season slowly coming to an end is there any word on Squaw Merchandise being discounted considering the pending name change.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Besides the quick 1/3” dusting on upper mtn Monday morning been more of the same out at Alpine the past 5 or so days. The warm weathers toll is becoming rapidly apparent as we quickly loose access to terrain. South face-T across the gully's went on Monday, high line across the back of ward yesterday, and as of today the notch through big bend keyhole is quickly disappearing. Thinking Sherwood should hopefully make it through the weekend but highly unlikely past then. It’s gotten too patchy to even groom the main run at this point.

Been pretty fun lately though. The NE face off big bend cornice has been smooth and fast pretty much everyday before patrol closes the traverse between 11:30-12:30. Monday with the fresh dusting center of lower saddle to high yellow gully was the play. Today central beaver chutes were nice smooth corn. Now at the point where it’s better to bootpack up idiots and across than trying to sidestep along the boundary line to access beaver & Estelle, as of this morning a few spots where PCT is poking through.

Haven’t lost hope for another couple storms quite yet but this little blast of “fools spring” is carrying on a little to long!

Beaver chutes
328C473B-A16F-4F07-BFD8-7C7506924BFD.jpeg
Big bend Cornice
41EFD87A-29C0-4766-AFEB-8F1669D2071C.jpeg
BB notch going as of 11:30 this am
9BCFE54D-1F10-4E5C-A194-F13C54EE3D09.jpeg
upper saddle yesterday
DDD1F663-3967-43D7-90AC-07CE3D91D400.jpeg

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
The warm weathers toll is becoming rapidly apparent as we quickly loose access to terrain. South face-T across the gully's went on Monday, high line across the back of ward yesterday, and as of today the notch through big bend keyhole is quickly disappearing. Thinking Sherwood should hopefully make it through the weekend but highly unlikely past then. It’s gotten too patchy to even groom the main run at this point.
It's it just me or does if feel like the Spring melt is moving much more rapidly than past "average" seasons? Feels like this would be 3rd week of April conditions in the 1st week itself. I guess a week of 55°F highs is taking is toll.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
with the season slowly coming to an end is there any word on Squaw Merchandise being discounted considering the pending name change.
Alpine had some SquawAlpine co branded stuff on sale. @Tricia, what was the discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.