• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Interesting...dbostedo, you'd have much happy on a windblown MM day.

This last week was looking into hitting Mammoth if the trough next week actually sets up as a great Basin Tonapah Low. It is in April that happens most often at Mammoth that has potential to create incredible windblown powder conditions if enough snow falls that with such a low is certain to blow around for days. But the $140 lift ticket with a 600 mile $100 gas bill $60 lodging has me only likely to commit if it looks more certain. I'd ski a last day at Heavenly then overnight cheap in Gardnerville. Next morning up at dawn drive the 2+ hours and then after the ski day may or may not linger for photo reasons for a day/night at Mono Lake and if I stay anywhere to the south disperse camping inside my Forester is my game. Would be nice to do some POV GoPro videos at MM with windblown powder as my Santa Anas will be an optimal fun tool. Plus there are my Daymakers and skins that deserve attention up on Virginia Lakes Road after a breeze arise at Mono mid morning. And as a retired senior I'm really not as much a peon as I make out.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Reno NV
253 PM PDT Sat Apr 10 2021

Winds will be increasing on Tuesday as well, as the cold front moves

through the area. The southern Sierra Front, especially south of
Highway 50 and along US-395 could get pretty gusty on Tuesday
afternoon as the front moves through the region with gusts up to
40 mph for wind prone areas.

We have continued to mention the chance of showers on Tuesday and
Wednesday as well, with cold air aloft creating instability enough
for rain and snow pellet showers. We could even see a few
isolated thunderstorms during the afternoon/evening hours on those
days due to the strong instability in the atmosphere. As of now,
the thunder chances have been left out of the forecast, with the
chances less than 10%.

The cut-off low wobbles around the Great Basin through the end of
the week. There is still much uncertainty in how long this will
stick around
. If it moves off to the east and allows for ridging
to build back again along the coast, we will see warming
temperatures and clearing skies. If the low remains longer, we
will see a slower warm up and lingering instability showers

through the end of the week. -Hoon

Thursday April 8, 2021 Posted at 8:49 am by Howard

snippet:
Over the next 7 days, this PV resets south of the Bering Sea and the result is a positive tilt ridge into Western Canada. The return flow over that ridge may dig a trof into the Great Basin toward the middle of next week. That pattern would bring cooling, wind and the chance of some light snow. Now, the NWS is going with persistence through mid week next week, as there are not enough ensemble members to challenge the sensible weather pattern we currently have. Looking at the MJO phase space, it shows a robust MJO moving into phase 7. This suggests that our exceptionally warm weather may not last beyond early next week. It also suggests in its composites, this time of the year, precipitation over Northern CA later next week. So, odds for a change in the pattern is being supported by the MJO for at least cooling out west.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tony

tseeb
Skier
My plan is Kirkwood’s closing Sun, Heavenly for a few hrs early on Mon, Mammoth Tues/Wed, Squalpine Thu/Fri and Heavenly for a few hours early on Sat, then home.
CCE77D1D-BC30-4C91-AFA1-5DEBB5AC5551.jpeg
Lucia and I are spending Sat night in camper at winery less than 60 mi from Kirkwood. That bottle is a very special 15+ year old Zin and equals 18 regular bottles. The guy pouring at winery bought it for his daughter’s wedding, then she eloped so he opened it today.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whoa ..... so much packed into those last three sentences! How much of a dent did you put in that bottle? Had to delve into wine bottle sizes and was flabbergasted to discover that there's FIVE larger sizes than that! Assuming that the wine held up that must have been a special Zin vintage to last 18 years. Daughter really messed up.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does anyone else feel like we're missing people this year because our faces are covered?
I rode the chairlift with someone I know well and had no idea who it was until long after we got of the lift.
I also skied up to a couple I did recognize and started talking to them. When they finally said, "who are you?"

I bumped into @bud heishman at Rose and started talking to him, had to pull my mask down so he'd acknowledge me.

It will be nice when we can bump into each other and know we're among friends.
:mask:

SSSdave

Skier
Does anyone else feel like we're missing people this year because our faces are covered?
I rode the chairlift with someone I know well and had no idea who it was until long after we got of the lift.
I also skied up to a couple I did recognize and started talking to them. When they finally said, "who are you?"
I bumped into @bud heishman at Rose and started talking to him, had to pull my mask down so he'd acknowledge me.
It will be nice when we can bump into each other and know we're among friends.
:mask:

As someone often looping lifts down the same run, actually quite a bit and it can be embarrassing. More acquaintences I've road lifts with or talked with on slopes in past years recognize me than I can remember their names, much less when their faces are covered up or they are wearing different ski clothes. What does sound familiar are voices. Will welcome not having to wear masks again for that secondary reason alone.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As someone often looping lifts down the same run, actually quite a bit and it can be embarrassing. More acquaintences I've road lifts with or talked with on slopes in past years recognize me than I can remember their names, much less when their faces are covered up or they are wearing different ski clothes. What does sound familiar are voices. Will welcome not having to wear masks again for that secondary reason alone.
I've sat on the same lift as my neighbor and good friend and didn't realize it was him until he said, "It's me, you idiot!"

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The fun run at Alpine is Kangaroo. The lift isn't running so you have to access it from Beaver Bowls or across a traverse at the bottom of the wiggles at Wolverine. Groomed and creamy, very few other tracks.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Whoa ..... so much packed into those last three sentences! How much of a dent did you put in that bottle? Had to delve into wine bottle sizes and was flabbergasted to discover that there's FIVE larger sizes than that! Assuming that the wine held up that must have been a special Zin vintage to last 18 years. Daughter really messed up.
It was 2005 vintage of this: https://www.noceto.com/product/2016-OGP-Zinfandel

Busy day on the Wall, but no line for lift. Cornice had a full maze last time I went past.
F4EFF1E4-2601-4BDD-8233-0D4867099288.jpeg

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Definitely a benefit (for me) of spending the season someplace where the only people I knew were the people I was planning to meet up with on a particular day. And even then, I would ski by them in the lift line. :doh:

SSSdave

Skier
Latest weather forecasts show the coming Great Basin low will be rather weak so my resort skiing season is indeed likely over. Thus instead likely to drive up to North Table Mountain near Oroville for peaking spring wildflowers and later days drive south along SR49.

TallGuy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Skied my last day of the season today at Sugar Bowl and it was a really fun day. East-facing slopes in the morning had already softened by opening and the whole mountain softened nicely a few hours later without getting too sticky (granted, we left at 2:30pm, so the flats may have become stickier after we left). At midday the north-facing slopes were really fun with plenty of smooth corn on the runs with lower traffic levels. No lift lines to speak of all day, but there were lots of people on the mountain and there was a fun, positive vibe everywhere -- people were having a good time today! Another enjoyable season for my family in the books with no significant injuries, but we are looking forward to next season with the hope of no masks needed and normal access to lodges.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK... I'm going to be skiing Squaw or Alpine this coming week, Wednesday through Friday... who wants to make some turns?!? :) Feel free to post or PM.
PM me, I'll be in the neighborhood.

If anyone's up for tomorrow (Monday), I now have both Rose and Ikon passes. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online