• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Squaw was skiing real nice today. Still good coverage most places.
I'll have to ask Andy and Phil, but I think we'll be at Rose this morning before we pick @dbostedo up at the airport.

Last edited by a moderator:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Per above post was supposed to now be on a road trip in the Sierra foothills and not skiing this season again after the Great Basin trough forecast looked weak yesterday. Well that still holds true for Mammoth in this season of much flip flopping. Could not pull the trigger getting on the road yesterday...sort of lazy unenthused. However now latest NWS forecast and BA shows areas of Tahoe given a shift a bit north, could see a half foot overnight by Wednesday morning though everything underneath is going to hard freeze till a warm up Thursday. Would readily enjoy doing even some shallow fresh powder GoPro videos on Nevada Heavenly so now packing ski gear again, wait and see. Nice to have retirement flexibility.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
This storm definitely seems to be setting up on the NE side of the lake thus far. SquAlpine sensors are only showing trace amounts but up here on Brockway we’ve gotten about 3”and it’s looking like Mt rose already has close to 6”! Maybe it will push more to the crest overnight but as of now Rose is getting the brunt

SSSdave

Skier
1am, snow bands over the south lake now. HV and NS snow stakes both show about 4 inches new. Down at lake level, SLT shows 0.36 precipitation inches. Waking up again in a couple more hours, will be interested if it shows just a couple more. Regardless, for any skiing Wednesday, aesthetically, it will look like a winter wonderland that given our droughty recent period is so so welcome.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
1am, snow bands over the south lake now. HV and NS snow stakes both show about 4 inches new. Down at lake level, SLT shows 0.36 precipitation inches. Waking up again in a couple more hours, will be interested if it shows just a couple more. Regardless, for any skiing Wednesday, aesthetically, it will look like a winter wonderland that given our droughty recent period is so so welcome.
Just enough to hide the rocks!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well thanks! But I hate to be picky... but.. umm... couldn't you have flipped it around so that Squaw got 10"? You know what... I need to speak to your manager.

:ogbiggrin:
It's not that much further to Rose and we have buddy passes!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thought about it... but I'm sitting here like 100 feet from he lifts at Squaw. Tough to consider the drive and ticket.
Ticket is only $49. $12 each. :ogbiggrin:

SSSdave

Skier
Rose wins! Get some Andy.

Woke up again at 4am and saw no more snow added since 2am so let the notion of getting up go. But about a groggy 6am, new bands of snow began forming from west after passing over tall Crystal Range that are riding over Heavenly and now at 8:35am snow stake is up to 6 inches with temp a cold 22F at 8.5k with at least a little more snow to fall. Forecast today shows temps only rising into high 30F's with pm scattered sun so new snow ought stay reasonable above 8k across all surfaces though will mostly track out today. I'll be content with the cold new snow just on groomed and skier packed surfaces. So will pack up and leave by mid day out to the Sierra. Will bring my Daymakers and skins that I might just do a climb and GoPro run on a slope east of Caples Lake. Late pm in Hope Valley for some photos. Sleep in Forester in Hope Valley at sunrise drive to South Lake Tahoe for a day or two skiing Heavenly. On way back drive SR49 down to below Yosemite.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Get some Andy.
Andy wound up at Squaw... I feel bad. Kind of. :ogbiggrin: Had a great, though short, first day... skied a bunch of areas I haven't before, given I've only had one wind-holdy day at Squaw prior to this. Skied with @Chris V., @Tricia, @Philpug, and @Andy Mink. Did some off piste that was actually pretty nice with the few inches of refresh we got. Also skied the easier stuff off KT-22 (which is still a bit challenging).

Not having skied in a month, and coming from DC yesterday, my legs wore out pretty quickly. But it was still lots of fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online