• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I checked the snow report early, perhaps a bit too early, and it said 0".
I don’t get fooled often but this morning I did :doh:.
I must be losing my touch but glad you got it for me Andy! BTW, my plan would’ve been the same as yours, low angle Shirley & then escape the frenzy to Solitude.
By the time I figured out that I had looked before the update, it was too late. Oh well, it’s not like I don’t get my fair share. I did get some errands done at least. Bundling up for a MTB ride now too vent some energy, should be some prime brown pow on the trails ogsmile.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
20210426_092701.jpg

This was my first look from Shirley Lake chair, wondering why there was only that one set of tracks. No one went over between the photo and when I got off the lift. Crazy.

Those 2 "deep powder" tracks are just the spring wiggle/snakes partially covered up, right?

Ejection trap when they get fully buried. The Nose area on KT usually has a couple too.
:philgoat:

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So @Andy Mink is who I have to blame for today’s traverse, eh? ;)I heard there was a marmot in a hole about 20ft to skier’s left of the wiggle - freaked out two of the guys I rode the lift with! I feel like my spring skiing is never complete without a marmot sighting.

The most amazing part about today was that Mountain Run was sugar at about 130. Wow.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ugh I should have gone skiing! Not only did I miss all the fun, but I went mountain biking instead and crashed hard...now waiting for X-rays.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ugh I should have gone skiing! Not only did I miss all the fun, but I went mountain biking instead and crashed hard...now waiting for X-rays.
Oh no! Hope it's just bangs and bruises and no snappy snappy.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, people. I fractured my humerus. This is painful, but it could have been worse. I fell off the trail down a steep embankment, and I guess I'm lucky I didn't hit my head or break my neck. My shoulder my have landed on a rock, there were a few of those around.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Thanks, people. I fractured my humerus. This is painful, but it could have been worse. I fell off the trail down a steep embankment, and I guess I'm lucky I didn't hit my head or break my neck. My shoulder my have landed on a rock, there were a few of those around.
:geek:
:nono:

Hope you have a quick recovery.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yikes. That rots, luliski.
I'm also selfishly disappointed because I was looking forward to skiing with you again next week. :(

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

Yeah, let's be grateful it wasn't any worse. On the bright side, there is plenty of time to get yourself strong for next ski season! All the positive vibes here, think good thoughts, drink the good stuff and before you know it you are recovering for next season. Swimming will make the recovery even more fun!

:hug:

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
So, here is both a bit of stoke from yesterday (can't believe I didn't bump into you, @Andy Mink ), and a demo of how not to mount your camera (when I took it off it did look like it was pointing too low :roflmao:). Best pow for me was on solitude:

Otherwise, break it out had an outstanding amount of soft snow sitting on top of large frozen bumps. Arete was quite good as well. But again, there were areas where you would hit ice after a lovely turn on soft. The little of KT I did when trying to get to the upper mountain was forgettable (frozen bumps here were covered on a lot less powder). The Granite Glades are close to be done, I think. Many thin areas towards the bottom. Snow was really good but there were choke points that got crowded and that's not what I like of skiing. Here is towards the top, much wider and nicer:

1619528230801.png

For those of you lucky to be able to get there, I think these next few days will be spectacular on the upper mountain as it softens towards noon. The new snow will be on top of soft bumps, hero shit! Go get it!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yikes. That rots, luliski.
I'm also selfishly disappointed because I was looking forward to skiing with you again next week. :(
Likewise. Although, the way this year is going, I probably would have done this skiing if not riding :(

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Coming up Thursday, when that powder will be a faint memory, and am confused by the trail and grooming status at AM - pretty well established that only Summit is running currently, but the trail and grooming status is confusing at best e.g. neither Alpine nor Wolverine bowls are groomed? All the Roundhouse runs are groomed? Treeline Cirque runs are groomed with no chair?? Leaning towards SV unless there's some grooming on the upper Summit runs.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Coming up Thursday, when that powder will be a faint memory, and am confused by the trail and grooming status at AM - pretty well established that only Summit is running currently, but the trail and grooming status is confusing at best e.g. neither Alpine nor Wolverine bowls are groomed? All the Roundhouse runs are groomed? Treeline Cirque runs are groomed with no chair?? Leaning towards SV unless there's some grooming on the upper Summit runs.
Alpine Bowl is marked as groomed but closed right now. Which is odd - if the lift is running, that's the easiest way down. Seems like something is wonky with the listing today.

I would expect both Alpine and Wolverine bowls to be groomed, as well as one of the D's and all the Roundhouse runs (which you use once below the bowls). The Kangaroo and TC stuff is groomed in part, and open because you can still get over there from the Summit lift (though may have to ski some more difficult stuff to get there - Kangaroo in particular.)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I am skiing Squaw for 2 days on May 6-7 before moving on to Napa/Sonoma. Because of the short ski portion of the trip, I'm only planning to bring one pair of skis. I'm debating between my main pair of rock skis which are 82mm (if KT-22 is still open/good and sharks are prevalent) or one of my more mid width surfy pairs for the corn if coverage is good up top (but all 3 of those 100-112 pairs are in pristine condition).
Short answer is bring the old skis. I would make sure they have a decent edge for morning runs especially if we continue to have freezing nights. Also a coarse Spring base structure would be helpful to help break suction as the snow gets wet later.
Upper mountain should still have decent coverage & I kind of doubt KT will be open by then. I would be more worried about hitting rocks early season than now unless you’re skiing with reckless abandon or there is some fresh snow to hide the rocks. The problem with using new or treasured skis this time of year is that the snow is dirty with all kinds of nasty stuff that can contaminate your fresh bases or also be very abrasive. 82mm should be fine, even if there is fresh snow it’s more likely to be dust on crust than bottomless blower
Spring skiing is great as long as you time things right & have realistic expectations!
Last Friday from Squaw One...
38E2325E-281D-46DC-BC7B-B8E2AEB845D9.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor