• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcs24

a day on the slopes beats a day in the office
Skier
I might be the only person who has already skied at two Tahoe ski resorts this season. I skied the morning at Heavenly and the afternoon at Rose, and thought I'd share my impressions on the skiing and also how each of these resorts is operating so far wrt to the pandemic.

First, the last snowstorm was mostly rain below 7000 feet, and there must have been a good bit of rain mixed in until around 8500 feet. Above that there is a marked improvement in coverage and snow quality, and over 9000 feet the snow quality is very good with coverage good enough to ski off piste. This means that Squaw, Northstar, Sugar Bowl, and lower elevation backcountry areas like Castle Peak are probably not in great shape right now. Heavenly snow was OK because only the upper mountain was open (starting over 8000 feet), and Rose was excellent especially at the top.

Heavenly had 2 trails open, and one was just a beginner run to access the "primary" run, Ridge Run under Canyon chair. So basically everyone was lapping a single run served by a single lift. Despite Vail ostensibly limiting visitor counts by requiring advance reservations -- and their claim that they are especially restricting visitors in the early season -- it was crowded at Heavenly. I waited 45 minutes in a line to pick up my pass, then waited up to 30 minutes to get on the lift. The lines were not socially distanced and despite a zillion signs telling people to wear face coverings, many people kept their buffs under their noses, some tucked under their chins. Also the Canyon chair is a quad, but it was organized into one singles line and one "group line." There was no one from Heavenly directing traffic, and no one knew how to load the lifts because the policy is that a single should only ride with another single, not with a group. So it made no sense to have one singles line and one group line merge into the same loading zone. The open run was crowded, as expected when it's the only way down. Things didn't feel particularly risky in term of contagion because everything was outside and it was breezy, but it also felt like there was a big disconnect between Vail Corporate (which has put signs everywhere instructing people on social distancing and face coverings) and what was happening on the ground (employees were not enforcing). While it felt good to be out on the mountain, overall it was not a very satisfying ski experience and didn't instill a lot of confidence in Vail's ability to execute when the season starts in earnest.

Rose was a better experience, both in terms of the skiing and pandemic safety. The mountain is open top to bottom and has something like a dozen ways down. The crowd level was lower, and at the bottom of the lifts there was a liftie organizing chair loading. There were two singles lines on opposite sides of the main line, and the liftie alternated chairs between pre-formed groups and two singles sitting on opposite ends of the chair. They had a box of face masks for guests who showed up without one. Not everyone in the lift lines consistently wore their coverings, though, and many others removed their coverings as soon as they loaded the lift. The mountain policy is that coverings are required both in line and on the lift. Despite it sometimes feeling awkward to ask one's chairmate to put their mask back on, everyone complied when I asked them.

The biggest challenge is going to be how the resorts manage lift lines when the lifts are loading at 33-50% capacity. I doubt the resorts will be limiting guest visits by half or two thirds, so lift lines will likely be much longer this season. Rose did fine today, but I suspect that was because it was the first day of the season and they deliberately didn't announce that they would be opening until this morning.

Lots of backcountry tracks across the highway in the Mt Rose Wilderness. Still a bit thin coverage for the steep stuff, but mellower routes looked prime. There were a *lot* of people out there, though, especially for a weekday in November. It'll be interesting to see just how crowded the backcountry will be this season, and how the backcountry newbies fare with regards to snow safety.

Attachments

• rose.JPG
    rose.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 10

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Thanks for the hands-on report dcs. Am looking forward to my Tuesday exercise on Ridge Run. Forecast is for a low 40F's dry day with minor breezes. Heavenly was wise to first just watch how customers would act if they don't apply any pressure on them to mask up or whatever. Shows where fair numbers are leaning and most outside SLT locals today were no doubt from Nevada. But so was Rose and that shows how a small amount of control goes a long ways.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
I might be the only person who has already skied at two Tahoe ski resorts this season. I skied the morning at Heavenly and the afternoon at Rose, and thought I'd share my impressions on the skiing and also how each of these resorts is operating so far wrt to the pandemic.

First, the last snowstorm was mostly rain below 7000 feet, and there must have been a good bit of rain mixed in until around 8500 feet. Above that there is a marked improvement in coverage and snow quality, and over 9000 feet the snow quality is very good with coverage good enough to ski off piste. This means that Squaw, Northstar, Sugar Bowl, and lower elevation backcountry areas like Castle Peak are probably not in great shape right now. Heavenly snow was OK because only the upper mountain was open (starting over 8000 feet), and Rose was excellent especially at the top.

Heavenly had 2 trails open, and one was just a beginner run to access the "primary" run, Ridge Run under Canyon chair. So basically everyone was lapping a single run served by a single lift. Despite Vail ostensibly limiting visitor counts by requiring advance reservations -- and their claim that they are especially restricting visitors in the early season -- it was crowded at Heavenly. I waited 45 minutes in a line to pick up my pass, then waited up to 30 minutes to get on the lift. The lines were not socially distanced and despite a zillion signs telling people to wear face coverings, many people kept their buffs under their noses, some tucked under their chins. Also the Canyon chair is a quad, but it was organized into one singles line and one "group line." There was no one from Heavenly directing traffic, and no one knew how to load the lifts because the policy is that a single should only ride with another single, not with a group. So it made no sense to have one singles line and one group line merge into the same loading zone. The open run was crowded, as expected when it's the only way down. Things didn't feel particularly risky in term of contagion because everything was outside and it was breezy, but it also felt like there was a big disconnect between Vail Corporate (which has put signs everywhere instructing people on social distancing and face coverings) and what was happening on the ground (employees were not enforcing). While it felt good to be out on the mountain, overall it was not a very satisfying ski experience and didn't instill a lot of confidence in Vail's ability to execute when the season starts in earnest.

Rose was a better experience, both in terms of the skiing and pandemic safety. The mountain is open top to bottom and has something like a dozen ways down. The crowd level was lower, and at the bottom of the lifts there was a liftie organizing chair loading. There were two singles lines on opposite sides of the main line, and the liftie alternated chairs between pre-formed groups and two singles sitting on opposite ends of the chair. They had a box of face masks for guests who showed up without one. Not everyone in the lift lines consistently wore their coverings, though, and many others removed their coverings as soon as they loaded the lift. The mountain policy is that coverings are required both in line and on the lift. Despite it sometimes feeling awkward to ask one's chairmate to put their mask back on, everyone complied when I asked them.

The biggest challenge is going to be how the resorts manage lift lines when the lifts are loading at 33-50% capacity. I doubt the resorts will be limiting guest visits by half or two thirds, so lift lines will likely be much longer this season. Rose did fine today, but I suspect that was because it was the first day of the season and they deliberately didn't announce that they would be opening until this morning.

Lots of backcountry tracks across the highway in the Mt Rose Wilderness. Still a bit thin coverage for the steep stuff, but mellower routes looked prime. There were a *lot* of people out there, though, especially for a weekday in November. It'll be interesting to see just how crowded the backcountry will be this season, and how the backcountry newbies fare with regards to snow safety.
Thanks for the detailed report.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, rose was in very good shape, and not over crowded. As much snow as I have seen at this time of year for a long time. And with the delayed opening the mountain had been able to move snow around to excellent effect. The mountain was doing a great job of organizing the lift line as well so kudos to them. Will be interesting to see how the lines build up tomorrow.

@dcs24, I think I rode the lift with you in the afternoon.

6709EA3D-4AB2-4D1D-8259-FC53D2A7989D_1_201_a.jpeg C9F9153A-454F-41FF-B708-7CCA30AE7D23_1_201_a.jpeg AC00B7A8-7556-4351-8F94-42F2761F0425_1_201_a.jpeg 45DBCE1F-3019-4D67-BED4-212CBAA10C42_1_201_a.jpeg

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Friend who lives about 10 miles from Northstar texted me the following report:

“Plenty of snow. 22” new this week. Vista and Arrow only. Pass holders only until Dec 8. Only one way down from Vista. Upper and lower Main St. I made 7 runs. Reservations required. 6 lift lines of 5 minutes. I (line) of 9 (minutes). 4 ticket windows open. Very spaced out. Masks required. As a single I rode gondola by myself. Limited to two people on Vista unless groups of three or four were in line together. Those rode together. Comstock may open Sunday. Long line of people trying to access the inside ticket sellers. In line they were 6’ apart. Probably not letting many people inside. One comes out, one goes in. They eliminated paid parking in Village View. No food sales.”

I think he wrote it for someone else and forwarded it to me as I already knew Northstar opened with only green runs. From website it looked like you needed to download one of the gondolas as Village Run was not open. While I’d like to go someday soon after my longest break from skiing in over 20 years, it’s hard to justify the ~8 hours round trip for such limited terrain, even if I skied multiple days. And I have to pickup pass since I downgraded and they did not send me a new one.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
that northstar report raises more questions to me.
For the tickets are they all in line for? since early season is supposed to be for passholders only with online res should be no line. That many people have pass issues or need passes printed? Or clueless people now forced to buy a pass same day? Or they're trying to get into the reservations same day? or all of the above?

Whats the deal with castlepeak parking. any sign of how they or they just going to make the big portion of their satellite parking work

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tahoe ski season opens with great snow, new COVID restrictions

“The theme of this year is, know before you go,” said Fortune of Heavenly. “Things are changing so quickly. … And please respect the rules. We all want to open and stay open all season.”

dcs24

a day on the slopes beats a day in the office
Skier
that northstar report raises more questions to me.
For the tickets are they all in line for? since early season is supposed to be for passholders only with online res should be no line. That many people have pass issues or need passes printed? Or clueless people now forced to buy a pass same day? Or they're trying to get into the reservations same day? or all of the above?

The lines are for mostly people who need to print their season passes. I bought mine in August but they never mailed it to me, and a lot of other people in line said theirs was never mailed either.

The line also had some day pass skiers who had to pick up their tickets. Vail's claim that the early season is only for passholders is a bit disingenuous because people can just buy a 1-day Epic pass and then reserve for that day.

If you have an old pass, you might be able to go straight to the lift. At Heavenly there was an employee reactivating old passes for people. You also need to sign and hand in some waivers but if you have a physical pass already apparently you can do it in the app.

Last edited:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heard from a tennis buddy, their family is headed to Heavenly next few days. They are not pass holders, and were able to get day tickets/reservations online. Thought this season was going to pass holders only. Guess only changed to mostly.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yea wih epicpasses still for sale, makes it a loophole big enough to drive a truck through.
Reminds me a little like national forest /wilderness trails where beuracractically it is permit required. And signs saying stop you must have a permit. But a permit is feee and whole stack of them from that box at the trailhead

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Heard from a tennis buddy, their family is headed to Heavenly next few days. They are not pass holders, and were able to get day tickets/reservations online. Thought this season was going to pass holders only. Guess only changed to mostly.
There's a loophole to the "pass holders only" rule. Epic Day Passes (which can be for 1 to 4 days) also count as a pass. But I would not want to blow a full day price on minimal early season terrain.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Rose is skiing awful. Avoid Mt. Rose until at least next week. We will take one for the team and report back every day, all this coming week with how the conditions might progress but we are not holding any hope. I would also dismiss any rumor of beautiful mid season conditions and that the Slide Side will be open in the next few days by Thanksgiving.

F0C4E20D-88B2-40FC-9967-225E071AA04B.JPG 3E67ACA7-C356-43A3-8329-6548B63AA0E3.JPG 1C0B8BE7-703F-459F-9297-537A35048450.JPG 05DF0BE9-A3B1-435D-833B-15ADBD282810.jpeg 0DBFFF9A-C846-4BDE-8D44-8FBD8EC94217.jpeg 27D941FC-F38A-4C09-951C-E6BBCD9D150F.jpeg 176DADD2-F92E-4378-9BED-86F8375AED5B.jpeg

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose is skiing awful. Avoid Mt. Rose until at least next week. We will take one for the team and report back every day, all this coming week with how the conditions might progress but we are not holding any hope. I would also dismiss any rumor of beautiful mid season conditions and that the Slide Side will be open in the next few days by Thanksgiving.
I'm so sorry to hear you are suffering so greatly to do this valued reconnaissance. I hope it's not too painful and you can recover soon. Thanks for the heads up. See you in mid Dec when conditions firm up. :ogcool:

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm so sorry to hear you are suffering so greatly to do this valued reconnaissance. I hope it's not too painful and you can recover soon. Thanks for the heads up. See you in mid Dec when conditions firm up. :ogcool:

Yep. Move along - nothing to see here......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online