• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keys2Ski

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm not sure they could confirmed that 209mph figure from Kirkwood. Alpine's number may still be the record. ?

Weather trivia. Cat5 hurricane Andrew totally wrecked Homestead Fla 25 years ago. Top wind speeds are unknown as Andrew blew the wind Anemometer off the roof of nearby National Hurricane Center headquarters in Coral Gables FL. They just say 175+mph. 3 months later I walked thru the area and saw unbelievable damage even then!
And for years later. Andrew was a scary killer. Blew up and turned at the last second, few were prepared. :(

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I returned to Kirkwood on Friday and skied 9-a few minutes before 2 as planned. Even though it was a short day and I rode slow lifts The Wall (3X), Backside (5x), Caples (3x) and The Reut (once), I had 26K vertical. The entrance and most of The Wall were more treacherous than usual. The first time up I saw ski patrol trying to ski-pack the blocks groomers had left on main entrance.
1003WallEntrance.JPG
I found out why when I knocked one loose that almost took me out a couple of turns later before continuing way down then hill. Snow was good, once past entrance, but there were a lot of rocks showing so I did not go very far off main path. Second time down I looked at Eagle Bowl, but did not see a way in without removing skis so I continued down ridge to very top of Conestoga/Shotgun next to Norms Nose.

I moved to the Backside where I found a good path into windsift/packed powder in trees between chair and Elevator Shaft that I repeated three times. Then I exited Backside via Thunder Saddle and Two Man Chute where snow was so good that I repeated it, even though it required two slow chairs. It started snowing about 11:30 which was OK up high, but seemed wetter around 7700' Village. I skied the Wall once more, but it was mostly survival skiing as visibility was poor and enough people were on it that there was not enough new snow left to cover the bumpy sub-surface. My face was pelted with graupel and it was wasn't until liftie at Cornice reminded me, I hadn't realized I had not pulled my masked back up after removing it to drink some water on chair.

I was surprised when I rode Cornice and skied Olympic that enough new snow had fallen on the top half that it smoothed it out and skied great. I ended up riding and skiing Cornice five more times; repeating Olympic and trying a couple of the Rabbit runs just past Sentinel that were also great with new snow for the top. I also braved the bumps once on Lookout Janek and skied mainline Zachary’s once. Seen on Cornice chair.
1012Pandemic2020.JPG
I almost caught up with the sun returning to Bay Area. This is within a mile or two of Tesla factory and taken through a dirty windshield.
1016AlmostHome.JPG

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt. Rose is hanging in with good but thin snow. I'm kind of surprised I'm not seeing the guns going full tilt when I peek at the cameras in the middle of the night. Long lines today at 10-15 minutes.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Best to skip weekends (or come early/leave early) and now Fridays to avoid lines.

1) More day trippers - seen in increased traffic on 80/50 at the usual peak times.
2) No lodging on CA side making the out-of-the-way or small resorts without much expert terrain to be less crowded than usual, as they are not "worth a daytrip to".

I saw photos of zero lines at Homewood over the weekend.

This was Crystal Ridge Express, the main chair to the summit at Diamond Peak all of yesterday-
PXL_20210110_194625816-01.jpeg

Joshuawjc

Getting on the lift
Skier
1) More day trippers - seen in increased traffic on 80/50 at the usual peak times.
2) No lodging on CA side making the out-of-the-way or small resorts without much expert terrain to be less crowded than usual, as they are not "worth a daytrip to".

I saw photos of zero lines at Homewood over the weekend.

This was Crystal Ridge Express, the main chair to the summit at Diamond Peak all of yesterday-

How do Diamond Peak and Homewood compare to Squalpine/Rose in terms of general "COVID compliance" among the folks skiing?

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How do Diamond Peak and Homewood compare to Squalpine/Rose in terms of general "COVID compliance" among the folks skiing?
This season I have so far been to Mammoth, Squaw, Alpine, Diamond Peak, and Sierra. Of these, the Ikon resorts (Mammoth/Squaw/Alpine) definitely were better organized to deal with COVID compliance. Especially given that they get higher traffic too.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose must have received a bit of rain last night. Constant misty clouds at the top today, enough to require goggle wipes a couple of times per run. High winds that I expect may close at least NW lift. The snow was turning into spring conditions; soft in most areas turning a little slushy. Then there are the growing areas of dirt. A fun morning but we left early due to probable lift closures.
20210113_085123.jpg
Looks like planting season is just around the corner.

20210113_093047.jpg
My friend Jeff removing the death star from the run. It rolled off the side slope.

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey, @textrovert , is Preacher’s Passion a tree run? Or did I miss the turn onto it? I thought I was going onto Preacher’s, but I wound up in trees today, which was less than ideal given I was alone, the snow was waterlogged, and coverage was meh.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, @textrovert , is Preacher’s Passion a tree run? Or did I miss the turn onto it? I thought I was going onto Preacher’s, but I wound up in trees today, which was less than ideal given I was alone, the snow was waterlogged, and coverage was meh.
It's not a tree run. You cut left at the top of castle just after the initial section (there's a sign) and after that you can't miss staying on it. It can be pretty rocky on preacher's till the coverage gets good.

From a few seasons ago. This clip starts at the top of Castle and shows the entry to Preacher's-

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Huh. I did something totally wrong. I followed a sign for the run, but then I went past another sign (caution, unmarked obstacles) on my right. I guess this means I need to try again!

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Huh. I did something totally wrong. I followed a sign for the run, but then I went past another sign (caution, unmarked obstacles) on my right. I guess this means I need to try again!

I remembered this 10 year old video from Outside TV featuring preacher's passion. Disclaimer- all the clips in it are from nice powder days :D It is going to be nothing like that right now, especially given the type of snow that has fallen this last two weeks. Also, some of the folks interviewed mention it being not accessible from the top and that you have to cut through trees to get to it - ignore that part.

However, the sense of being by yourself and away from the resort will still be there, regardless of snow conditions.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
PreachersSAT.jpg

40 feet per vertical contour line. When snow depths several feet, on fresh deep days, useful areas between Castleway and Preachers to explore after descending 400 feet below steep top. Beware of boulders they rolled off trails.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at Alpine today morning for a few hours. Firm to start, but softening quickly, especially the aspects in the sun. By noon it was almost corn snow. Warner day today too. Reduced layers of clothing needed.

Groomers continue to ski very well and with good coverage. Off-piste getting thin in places. Lookers right on Wolverine Bowl was nice, as it took in the sun.

Started getting cloudy by the time I left (around 12:45pm). This is looking back at Alpine Bowl & Wolverine Bowl from Scott chair-

PXL_20210115_202917959-01.jpeg

Earlier in the day, it was blue skies.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ah. Okay. Looking at the satellite photo, I think what I did was enter Preacher's Passion and then went into the trees, following the fall line. I thought I was going to get sucked into a gully and water feature. :huh:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at Sierra today from 8:30am-1:30pm.

Another light layer day. Felt warmer today that yesterday. Again a firm start followed by softening. The high traffic areas were getting sticky at 1pm - brakes grabbing on the flats if not skiing on edge.

Surprisingly, didn't see long lift lines the entire time I was there. Till around 10:30am it was straight to chair on West Bowl. But even when it got longer later in the day, nothing like what we saw during Christmas week. This was at 9:45am-
PXL_20210116_172318403.jpg

After @Pequenita 's Preacher's Passion adventures earlier, decided to see what the conditions were. Summary: Terrible. The regular entry from Castle was all rocks and trees. A little below there was an alternate entry through trees, but PP itself was very bony. Cut back into the trees and it wasn't much better. Decided to get back to Castle for the rest of the way down and it was rock solid giant bumps even at 12:30pm. This is what looking up Castle was like-
PXL_20210116_204650094.jpg
I could easily hide in those trenches:roflmao:

Finally, a groomer clip from West Bowl.

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Decided to get back to Castle for the rest of the way down and it was rock solid giant bumps even at 12:30pm. ...
I could easily hide in those trenches:roflmao:

Lol, that is partially why I decided to go look for Preacher’s Passion! I saw the size of those bumps on Castle. I was on slalom skis and was like, “Eff this. There has to be an easier way down.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online