• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshuawjc

Getting on the lift
Skier
Really impressed with the management of SV/AM to leg this out into May with a super-subpar snow year. The Sierra snowpack is at 25% of normal right now, by some estimates. Just crazy to still spin the lifts, particularly with retail/lodging/food/booze receipts so down.

So does this management trend mean that we can pretty much count on skiing through Memorial Day going forward for every normal year (let alone above-normal)? That'd be great news if so.

I don't know if it's because management is "committed to the skier" or they need all the community goodwill to build the waterpark or, as one wag on a chairlift told me, "you can't print all those Spring Skiing Capital T-shirts and then close in March" or what it is, but I like it. I LIKE IT.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Really impressed with the management of SV/AM to leg this out into May with a super-subpar snow year. The Sierra snowpack is at 25% of normal right now, by some estimates. Just crazy to still spin the lifts, particularly with retail/lodging/food/booze receipts so down.

So does this management trend mean that we can pretty much count on skiing through Memorial Day going forward for every normal year (let alone above-normal)? That'd be great news if so.

I don't know if it's because management is "committed to the skier" or they need all the community goodwill to build the waterpark or, as one wag on a chairlift told me, "you can't print all those Spring Skiing Capital T-shirts and then close in March" or what it is, but I like it. I LIKE IT.
As fo I! Current mgmnt is a looong way from the old Alex Cushing days... though i do recall yrs ago when the mtn opened a couple of long July 4 weekends back in the day. Even still have the I skied July 4 t shirts.... somewhere.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Woof ...... got hammered today by the variable glop at AM. I knew my first turn would be soft but not that soft. A little bit of salt at the base of Summit, while unacceptable ecologically, would have helped. Really brought home how much core strength is needed to ski such conditions; I've been able to convince myself that I was fine core-wise all year - turns out it's much easier to fool yourself when the snow's resistance is consistent :doh:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Missed it by "that much". :nono:
Oh, well. I'll be happy to ski anything.

Bring your knee braces and high fluoro wax.
We had couple early retirements from our crew today. Wimps. :nono:

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the bright side they can pull all that snow off bullet and saddle and whatnot and push it down to keep Mountain Run open.

KT & Headwall not making it to the weekend.

KT was rumored to be done earlier in the week itself. So they got a few more days in over the whisper numbers.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
On the bright side they can pull all that snow off bullet and saddle and whatnot and push it down to keep Mountain Run open.
I hope there's a lot of snow up there since Mountain Run is getting pretty sketchy!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I hope there's a lot of snow up there since Mountain Run is getting pretty sketchy!
If the Squaw one lift can run in reverse it would be another way to download after the mountain run closes.
OTOH hand the top is difficult to access except for advanded skiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid