• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Flying in tomorrow to ski Squaw a few days. Bummed that KT and Headwall didn't stay open another week. Is the reverse traverse still in play as an option to get to some decent terrain? What lines off the ridge still have coverage? What about Palisades? Thanks!
we did reverse traverse a couple of times today to North Bowl.

Reverse Traverse
1FC35F89-FAD2-4B2E-8E45-2D22B401A1DC.jpeg

@mdf dropping in
4055E571-2EC6-4D7D-9853-63594658B469.jpeg
& out
E3E14324-CBE2-4675-8129-61AC6C2CF36A.jpeg

@John Webb
577CD6A4-867E-4AFA-9A6C-5D034A5CA878.jpeg

@Tony S
637E657E-B7D5-43B0-A374-CAD3D8F54ABD.jpeg

Palisades were open & Granite.

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So for those who are skiing at SV tomorrow, I didn't see a meetup time and place, but I'll have on an electric blue under armor hoodie, grey pants, charcoal Smith helmet with white goggle strap and Salomon orange and black boots. For skis, not sure what I'll be on but I'll make sure it's a set with Pugski stickers. Depends on whether I can get motivated to wax tonight. Most likely an ancient set of skilogiks.

I answer to the name Phillip and absent some other plan will hit the Funi or Squaw One and Gold Coast and make my way to the backside expediently at opening.

I'm surprised to hear you're on Shirley early, I would expect the sunny side of Granite, but if it's staying THAT warm then who knows. But back there somewhere.....

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Flying in tomorrow to ski Squaw a few days. Bummed that KT and Headwall didn't stay open another week. Is the reverse traverse still in play as an option to get to some decent terrain? What lines off the ridge still have coverage? What about Palisades? Thanks!
@mdf , @4ster ,@Tony S and I did 2 reverse traverse hikes to the Headwall area. North Bowl is via snow covered traverse. Headwall/nose which I split off for one run requires a 20 foot walk across rocks (best skis OFF but hey I just walked across skis ON with very old eastern rock skis )

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was too slow to catch the drop-in and too far to make great footage on the phone. Notwithstanding my shortcomings as a videographer, @4ster was making very sweet turns in North Bowl, after guiding us flatlanders out there.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I was too slow to catch the drop-in and too far to make great footage on the phone. Notwithstanding my shortcomings as a videographer, @4ster was making very sweet turns in North Bowl, after guiding us flatlanders out there.
Dang, I’d have smiled had I known. Y’all have fun today ogsmile !

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like you're all having a fun time. I can't get away until the end of May. Does it look like the snow will last that long? I was almost ready to book a flight to Bend/Bachelor, but I'm wondering if Squaw/Alpine will have more terrain open.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like you're all having a fun time. I can't get away until the end of May. Does it look like the snow will last that long? I was almost ready to book a flight to Bend/Bachelor, but I'm wondering if Squaw/Alpine will have more terrain open.
I can't imagine Alpine will have anything at all open by mid May. Squaw, maybe. I'd be surprised if they made it to Memorial Day. Alpine has one open lift. Squaw is slowly closing in. Red Dog, Far East, Headwall, and KT22 are all closed. There is still good snow up top though, so it will depend on how warm it gets.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmmm...so wondering if it makes more sense to fly into Reno and drive to Mammoth? Or Bend, though some of the terrain I'd want to ski is closed (though that's obviously true everywhere that's still open).

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Better plan on Mammoth or Mt Bachelor instead. Mt Bachelor got a lot of snow this winter. Squaw is a maybe but I'd think unlikely. They'll probably loose Siberea in a week or so. Mountain Run also.
They have a decision to make.. When Mountain Run is done they have to download skiers (only upper mountain lifts are running) by Funitel or Tram which is a bit questionable with Covid.
So few are skiing now that the Funitel will likely not have any backups so maybe Squaw can continue.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
So for those who are skiing at SV tomorrow, I didn't see a meetup time and place, but I'll have on an electric blue under armor hoodie, grey pants, charcoal Smith helmet with white goggle strap and Salomon orange and black boots. For skis, not sure what I'll be on but I'll make sure it's a set with Pugski stickers. Depends on whether I can get motivated to wax tonight. Most likely an ancient set of skilogiks.

I answer to the name Phillip and absent some other plan will hit the Funi or Squaw One and Gold Coast and make my way to the backside expediently at opening.

I'm surprised to hear you're on Shirley early, I would expect the sunny side of Granite, but if it's staying THAT warm then who knows. But back there somewhere.....
Well didn't see your post until today. actually right now as I posted one of the group shots. Are you around tomorrow I know what to look for and you can look for the people wearing the clothes in the group shots. Many don't get out at 9 but some do and I personally head up Funi what ever somewhere between 9 and 10 ish and then go over on big blue to Shirley, Granite, area. I also hit Siberia yesterday but not today.

Hmm edit.....I guess I forgot to post the group shot, here's the group.
DSCF2209_2.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online