• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
anyone visit Killington from the sf bay area?

my new job is based out of San Francisco and since I just bought IKON am thinking of making a trip there next year.

Whats the best airport to fly into?

I could leave from SFO.

I have a college friend that lives outside of Boston and it seems like a 3 hour drive from there.

What is the drive like? Major elevation changes? Road / snow conditions?

Is there a better place to fly into besides Boston.

Figure I will get accommodations at or near Killington for 2-3 nights.

Any intelli would be much appreciated....

thank you in advance
Killington is 3 hour drive from Boston. I89 through New Hampshire can be an interesting drive in bad weather but roads are well treated - it‘s not like your driving from bay area to Tahoe with people who don’t know how to drive in the snow. The skiing in Killington this January and February was probably some of the best skiing in the US outside of Jackson Hole or the Pacific NW. We had plenty of ”real” snow on top of the man made base. SFO - Boston will give you the best connections, i.e. non-stop flight, but you could also fly into Manchester NH save yourself an hour on the driving. Base area of Killington is 2400 ft roughly and Boston is sea level and it is about 160 miles - so no big elevation changes.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
anyone visit Killington from the sf bay area?

my new job is based out of San Francisco and since I just bought IKON am thinking of making a trip there next year.

Whats the best airport to fly into?

I could leave from SFO.

I have a college friend that lives outside of Boston and it seems like a 3 hour drive from there.

What is the drive like? Major elevation changes? Road / snow conditions?

Is there a better place to fly into besides Boston.

Figure I will get accommodations at or near Killington for 2-3 nights.

Any intelli would be much appreciated....

thank you

Albany Airport is about 2hrs to Killington,Straight up the Northway (87) I think the fastest-
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=killington+vt+to+albany+ny&ia=web&iaxm=directions&start=what:Albany%20International%20Airport,where:737%20Albany%20Shaker%20Rd%2C%20Albany%2C%20NY%2012211%2C%20United%20States&end=what:Killington%20Resort,where:4763%20Killington%20Rd%2C%20Killington%2C%20VT%20%2005751%2C%20United%20States&transport=drive

there's also the Rutland Airport- not big, not sure about car rentals there either but it's the closest- 40min

Lots of places to stay. I like the Killington Motel. Mom and Pop- call direct for best rates, huge rooms, hot water heat, hot showers, breakfast included and he roasts his own coffee beans. nothing fancy but Very clean and nice people and Steve the cat.

You'll be about 1hr from Sugar Bush and 1hr from Stratton-- stay Longer ski more Eastern IKON Mts.. Could even go to Loon- Loon back to Albany Airport about 5hr drive in clear weather.

No big elevation here compared to the West.. Top of Killington about 4200Ft.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snow was spectacular down in Mammoth today. C'mon down and get you some. :beercheer:

I think I know the rough answer to this...what time are you getting out? I’ll be in the area at the end of the week and wondering whether it’d be worthwhile to get out early for a few turns.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I know the rough answer to this...what time are you getting out? I’ll be in the area at the end of the week and wondering whether it’d be worthwhile to get out early for a few turns.
We got on the hill about 10:30 this morning. The snow was already soft on all but the very top of the hill. (And we still got a decent parking spot at Stump Alley at that time.)

We will proabably do a split arrival the rest of the week -- some of us close to opening and some mid-morning.

I posted some pictures in the Mammoth threaad at https://www.SkiTalk.com/threads/202...-resorts-conditions-meetups.20469/post-614327

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:useless:

Also, please eat the food I left with @mdf without giving him a hard time about it.

Dude, one simply does not post Mammoth pics in the Tahoe thread. Propriety.
Don't be so lazy and check the Mammoth thread.

@mdf arrived in Mammoth sans extra food. He said he ate everything enroute.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
State is so damn big it has two threads.
3 ... But SoCal is done for the season.

We are hoping to hit Mammoth and join you all... but we are in the middle of setting up house in Reno and the delivery companies are being terribly uncooperative!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dude, one simply does not post Mammoth pics in the Tahoe thread. Propriety.
Don't be so lazy and check the Mammoth thread.

@mdf arrived in Mammoth sans extra food. He said he ate everything enroute.
Did you make it through Bridgeport without being pulled over on suspicion of steeling all the pots and pans from William Sonoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online