• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2020-2021 Utah Resorts, Weather, Conditions and Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
PCMR development in the news

I don't completely understand the article as my understanding was Vail already sold the parking lots.

But obviously there are big plans to develop the lots into some sort of monstrosity in addition to trying to court another Olympics.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
PCMR development in the news

I don't completely understand the article as my understanding was Vail already sold the parking lots.

But obviously there are big plans to develop the lots into some sort of monstrosity in addition to trying to court another Olympics.
Yeah, it's kind of vague what exactly it is that they're planning. Of note was the comment that those parking lots were very useful for event staging during the 2002 Olympics.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anybody know if they did anything at Snowbird about remodeling the Mid-Gad Restaurant? Seemed to me that last year they were talking about doing a major renovation. I actually hope it got tabled for this season because that lower warm-up room beside the restrooms might continue to be my low traffic way to get in out of the elements this winter.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snowbird is doing free parking reservations to limit overcrowding.

TS
P-Ute

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The start of a new snow base for 2020-2021 Season!
1604850587222.png
Solitude Roundhouse Webcam

1604851137258.png
Alf's at Alta and the snow is coming down heavy. Alta website reports: "Heavy snow (30–51 in.) throughout the week."

1604852869097.png
Silver Lake at Deer Valley; Falling from the sky and from the snow guns.

1604852198286.png
Snowbasin is getting some too!
Daily high temps at Resorts are below freezing all week :snow:
Just a couple more weeks:daffy:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, this week looks really good for getting down a base for the season.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Saw a piece in my newsfeed today about Utah's governor requiring masks statewide. The piece also said something about many other restrictions including a $10,000 fine for gatherings (not sure on size). Wonder what that might mean for ski areas?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
A2A15AA9-723A-4B2E-BD4C-92C4FC931D54.jpeg 7C3DBEB2-5213-4DA6-933A-01143BC9076B.jpeg

Saw a piece in my newsfeed today about Utah's governor requiring masks statewide. The piece also said something about many other restrictions including a $10,000 fine for gatherings (not sure on size). Wonder what that might mean for ski areas?
Me too :huh:

This came over my phone about 9 PM last night.
7286E94D-6640-46C1-BC9F-4BC5FD321197.jpeg
Mask mandate goes into affect at 1 PM today. No groups of more than 10. This goes through November 23, at least for now. Maybe too little too late but hopefully it will help people pay attention because I don’t think they have been previously & our ski season may depend on it!
:doh:

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
I shell out $1650 for my Alta bird pass and they let me reserve a whopping 7 days to park my truck at the bird. ( and another 7 days "of the week" parking whatever that means. seems like a ploy to get us on the ski bus.
now i gotta spend money on a damn Solitude parking pass just to ensure i have a place to ski every time i want to . fucking joke

olpolecat

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Solitude parking pass doesn't guarantee a spot, either. Just saves you the daily fee if you can find a spot

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 114336 View attachment 114337

Me too :huh:

This came over my phone about 9 PM last night.
View attachment 114338
Mask mandate goes into affect at 1 PM today. No groups of more than 10. This goes through November 23, at least for now. Maybe too little too late but hopefully it will help people pay attention because I don’t think they have been previously & our ski season may depend on it!
:doh:

Based on what I'm seeing on social media and out and about, I'm not very hopeful that people here are taking it as seriously as say, the Seattle area, where my family is. Unfortunately, the precedence was set early on that this state wasn't going to take it very seriously, and was going to ask nicely for people to be good citizens and social distance and wear a mask. Unfortunately, there is a large majority who have decided to flip it all the bird. Not sure how to put that toothpaste back into the tube now. We are taking it seriously--I even pulled PeeWee out of group tennis lessons until the end of the month at least. The schools are seeing a huge jump in numbers, which also highlights the fact that the piecemeal approach that the governor is taking this time around it too little, too late. There are 659 families who are missing a loved one now who probably feel the same way.

I shell out $1650 for my Alta bird pass and they let me reserve a whopping 7 days to park my truck at the bird. ( and another 7 days "of the week" parking whatever that means. seems like a ploy to get us on the ski bus.
now i gotta spend money on a damn Solitude parking pass just to ensure i have a place to ski every time i want to . fucking joke
So wait, how far in advance can you reserve the parking? Is this only for weekends? We were planning a day or two there this season. What a *hit show this is all turning into, as if parking or getting up there during a "normal" season isn't already one.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
ow far in advance can you reserve the parking? Is this only for weekends? We were planning a day or two there this season. What a *hit show this is all turning into, as if parking or getting up there during a "normal" season isn't already one.

i dont know what they are going to do about non-season pass holders parking . i reserved parking days in May and late April since thats about the only time i ski at the bird. i normally would just cross over from Alta - the calander dates were open for all days , including weekdays.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
i dont know what they are going to do about non-season pass holders parking . i reserved parking days in May and late April since thats about the only time i ski at the bird. i normally would just cross over from Alta - the calander dates were open for all days , including weekdays.
Interesting. We might have to sneak over there during the week. I'm assuming Alta has the same parking policy in effect?

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Solitude parking pass doesn't guarantee a spot, either. Just saves you the daily fee if you can find a spot

yeah i know . i was there plenty last year. solitude giving me $75 discount on parking pass being a return customer. wasn't planning to ski there that much this season but Snowbird seems to be pushing me to do so.

Everyone will end up wanting to go Alta that rides on 2 planks that cant get a parking pass for the Bird that day. this will surely resulting in a shitshow situation for parking at Alta - have a feeling ill be getting up very early all winter

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Interesting. We might have to sneak over there during the week. I'm assuming Alta has the same parking policy in effect?

not aware of any new parking policies at Alta this year. first come first served. they do save closer spots for car pooling.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Not much talk about it but little Nordic Valley is putting in a new lift which will serve new terrain. It looks to be relatively steep & l believe the lift is a detachable 6-pak. l have been up there a couple of times trying to figure it out & from a distance l cannot see any lift towers although I have to believe that they are in.
Most of the hardware & chairs are sitting in the lot at the bottom. Interestingly, it does not look accessible from the bottom of the mountain which means they will rely on an old slow lift to the top & then a ski down to the base of the new lift. Maybe they will put in a surface lift or something.
Anyway, thought it may be a nice diversion if there is good low elevation snow this winter. I took this photo this morning from across the valley. It's a little easier to see the runs now that there is a little snow...
8664D930-E466-4C8F-8E0B-A0A747C1B5B0.jpeg

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not much talk about it but little Nordic Valley is putting in a new lift which will serve new terrain. It looks to be relatively steep & l believe the lift is a detachable 6-pak. l have been up there a couple of times trying to figure it out & from a distance l cannot see any lift towers although I have to believe that they are in.
Most of the hardware & chairs are sitting in the lot at the bottom. Interestingly, it does not look accessible from the bottom of the mountain which means they will rely on an old slow lift to the top & then a ski down to the base of the new lift. Maybe they will put in a surface lift or something.
Anyway, thought it may be a nice diversion if there is good low elevation snow this winter. I took this photo this morning from across the valley. It's a little easier to see the runs now that there is a little snow...
View attachment 114375

NE facing, even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor