• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2020-2021 Utah Resorts, Weather, Conditions and Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
So I guess no more parking reservations required at Snowbird for any day!. A mtn host told me the other day that Snowbird plans to operate 7 days per week until at least Mother's Day, May 9. Likely only weekends starting then or a bit later.

Thanks for the update Jim! that's great news

I hear its rocking and rolling up there today

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Today was so damned fun. I’m bummed I had to leave early to get my second vaccine dose! Sun starting to come out and we had several inches of fresh that was starting to blow in and fill in old tracks.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
Today was so damned fun. I’m bummed I had to leave early to get my second vaccine dose! Sun starting to come out and we had several inches of fresh that was starting to blow in and fill in old tracks.

I hate you :)

My BIL just sent me a video while snowboarding at Snowbird. Sigh....

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You didn’t miss anything.
I went up looking for sunburn relief after skiing in shorts.

I found it. :)

71D40933-1D5A-4DCC-A058-F7DB2CE5182A.jpeg
I was up there with my son from about 1-4. Don't know how I missed the big guy in shorts with bright red sunburned legs!
Thanks for the update Jim! that's great news

I hear its rocking and rolling up there today

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Today at Snowbird 4/6/21 was one of those secret powder days. They got about 9-12" with very low crowds. I only skied about 2-3 hours, but they were quality! Joined by @John Webb, us geezers had fun.
john apr 6 pow.jpg john apr 6 gad 2.jpg

We skied in the afternoon and almost saw the sun a couple times.
john apr 6 face.jpg

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Tahoe skier checking in. Here for the week. Skied a half day today `and it was fantastic. 9 to 10 inches from a storm everyone yesterday (except powderchasers.com) thought would stay north. Midweek skiing, powder day, and no lines on any lifts at Snowbird. This never happens at Snowbird. Period.. Great first UT day. could still find some afternoon powder in Black forest and in Mineral Basin. Last 2 rides on Alta Chair were half untracked at 3 &3:28pm I'm guessing mineral wasn't open when the early am powderhounds were out. A local said it was one of his 5 best days of the year ! I'm calling it my best powder day of the year ! but not quite this::bestday:

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Runs that were smooth, edges of trails and some woods runs at the Bird skied great with soft powder. Even the cut up stuff was quite skiable. Runs that had large moguls that were icy after last weeks heat wave were tricky, not so good & you could hit scratchy layers. Tomorrow should be primo on any groomer trails. Then a medium warm up that will have unknown effects.

They forgot to roll the tunnel door down last night- 95% of the tunnel had snow on the floor but it was running. Snow must been blowing sideways making it a wind tunnel ! Should meet Jim at Brighton tomorrow.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup.

Great couple of hours this morning for me before work beckoned--would loved to have stayed longer.
Same! Was up until 11:30. Lots of off-piste today. We were amazed at how good it was!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Super beautiful day at Brighton today 4/7/21, 35 degs, packed and loose powder with a little spring snow near the bottom of the hill. I got to ski with @Daniel , @P-Ute , and @John Webb , good guys and good turns!

I had never skied with Daniel before. He's a terrific telemark skier and very photogenic. Sorry if I embarrass him, but here is a photo blast of Daniel: dan best brighton.jpg dan spray brighton.jpg dan pose brighton.jpg dan genuflect again brighton.jpg dan cord brighton.jpg dan milli.jpg dan scree brighton.jpg dan low 2 brighton.jpg dan low brighton.jpg dan best closer brighton.jpg
L-R: Daniel, John, P-Ute with Mt Timpanogos in background.
guys brighton view.jpg paul genuflect brighton.jpg paul scree brighton.jpg paul chute brighton.jpg
Snakes hanging out at Snake Creek chairlift.
john snake creek brighton.jpg john brighton soft snow.jpg guys brighton offpiste.jpg
The most scenic cat track in Utah?
daniel scenic brighton cat track.jpg

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for reaching out with the idea of getting together for a ski day, Jim. It was an excellent blend of enjoyable company, fun conditions, and great weather! Already looking forward to the next time!

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
gorgeous blue bird day at Alta yesterday - Ballroom and Backside were untouched from Tuesday. Tremendous April Powder skiing
IMG_8108.JPG

only bummer of the day was snagging my jacket on a branch and ripping a 2 inch square in it

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Great writeup @Jim Kenney Good skiing with you, @P-Ute,@Daniel on Wednesday. Today I skied Alta wirh a not so early start. Groomers stayed excellent all day. No lift lines. Off-trail stuff was a bit of everything. We're in day 2 of freeze thaw cycles that continues all week. Evergreen area & Devil's Castle still had 8 inches untracked light powder from Tuesday's storm. Area between Sunspot and Stone Crusher had 8 inches of mush. some lower off trail areas had a sun crust that was hard work. The high traverse,had the best snow coverage I've seen, corner to Greely bowl fully covered with no rocks. High Rustler was not so good (firm moguls).
This wiggle on the Ballroom is getting large !

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 15

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So is Snowbird about the only hill staying open past April 18th?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So is Snowbird about the only hill staying open past April 18th?
Yes, Bird full ops until at least May 9, then probably partial ops. PC and DV close 4/11. Sol/Bright closes 4/18. Alta closes regular ops on 4/18, but I think they will reopen for an encore the weekend after that only.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a great day at Deer Valley 9 APR 2021 with @John Webb, @P-Ute and some surprise guests. It was super sunny and warmed to about 45 degs with light crowds. Fun stuff.
Pretty day, John on Stein's Way
:mask:
pretty day 2 apr 9 dv.jpg
P-Ute
pretty day 9 apr dv.jpg
When in Utah, drink what the Utahn's drink!
paul polygamy 9 apr dv.jpg
P-Ute off the Empire lift.
paul action dv 9 apr.jpg
John mingling with the rich and famous.
dv john neon apr 9.jpg
Not much photographic value in this shot except to prove I was there too :mask:
dv selfie 9 apr.jpg john dv apr 9 action 2.jpg dv apr 9 view.jpg john apr 9 action.jpg

The Bear House.
dv 9 apr bears.jpg dv 9 apr guitar view.jpg
We thought seeing this guy playing live electric guitar on the slopes was the highlight of the day until...
dv 9 apr guitar face.jpg

...WE RAN INTO THE @KingGrump 'S AT 4PM FOR HAPPY HOUR!:martini:
mamie dv 9 apr.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My son and I were up at Snowbird today from about noon to four. It was coolish and some areas remained firm, but the snow softened in enough spots to be fun.
Vince and @John Webb
snowbird 11 apr vince and john.jpg

@jmills115 joined us for a few runs.
snowbird 11 apr justin and john.jpg
John cruising below the summit restaurant.
snowbird 11 apr john mb.jpg
There was a freeride competition in Little Cloud bowl.
snowbird 11 apr freeride.jpg
This was John's last day in Utah. He skied six straight days. I joined him for four of those. Birds of a feather flock together.
snowbird 11 apr john and jim.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor