• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2020-2021 Utah Resorts, Weather, Conditions and Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Mostly likely the 16th (my birthday) - happy to have some Pugs to ski with (and help document the day). Might consider the 15th as well, but the 16th is almost certain.
Well I am locked in for the 14th, 15th and 16th. Now the only question is which Stocklis should I bring. Right now I am leaning towards my AX for the crisp mornings and my SR95s for the soft ones and afternoons. @LindseyB you know my quiver, what are your thoughts :)

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
Well, I think I'm calling it for the season. On this Mother's Day, I went up to the Bird for a few runs before having lunch with mom and sisters. It was another bluebird day. Temp got below freezing the past couple of nights, so the snow was nice and firm early in the morning. Did a couple of fun runs in Mineral basin via the Peruvian tunnel.

Beginning next week, I believe, the resort will only be open on weekends (@dovski ). Also had a very nice chat with Bubba, who provides security/parking assist at the Bird...he's a funny and a good man.

Fwiw...for you late visitors, be very careful as you make your way down to Mineral Basin from the tram/lift. There were a lot of exposed rocks on the cat-track; perhaps, more dangerously, watch out for the thinned ice/snow patches in that there were some sharp rocks just under the surface as you navigate around the exposed ones...ask me how I know. :(

PXL_20210509_152011981~2.jpg PXL_20210509_151534670.NIGHT~2.jpg

dovski

Skier
Well, I think I'm calling it for the season. On this Mother's Day, I went up to the Bird for a few runs before having lunch with mom and sisters. It was another bluebird day. Temp got below freezing the past couple of nights, so the snow was nice and firm early in the morning. Did a couple of fun runs in Mineral basin via the Peruvian tunnel.

Beginning next week, I believe, the resort will only be open on weekends (@dovski ). Also had a very nice chat with Bubba, who provides security/parking assist at the Bird...he's a funny and a good man.

Fwiw...for you late visitors, be very careful as you make your way down to Mineral Basin from the tram/lift. There were a lot of exposed rocks on the cat-track; perhaps, more dangerously, watch out for the thinned ice/snow patches in that there were some sharp rocks just under the surface as you navigate around the exposed ones...ask me how I know. :(

View attachment 133393 View attachment 133394
They are only open Friday thru Sunday at this point.
Double checked before I booked and just reconfirmed this. So will be skiing those days next week and anyone who wants to join us is welcome. I do agree that the season is definitely coming to a close.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 133393 View attachment 133394

We made it up a little after 1pm today and skied Mineral until the run to the car.
Traversing towards the Bookends it was firm and tough to keep an edge on. Gave up on making it too far around and was surprised how soft it was off of the bulletproof traverse.
Hiking Alta with Verts snowshoes is the plan until Friday

8A4FB1A1-D20B-4F20-A929-963D4B12EB7D.jpeg 90179A69-0F55-4D74-A7C7-00766911E9FF.jpeg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
They are only open Friday thru Sunday at this point.
Double checked before I booked and just reconfirmed this. So will be skiing those days next week and anyone who wants to join us is welcome. I do agree that the season is definitely coming to a close.
@dovski and @Rudi Riet
Weather looks quite good for your visit to be classic spring conditions, 40 low at night and 55 high at daytime with part sunshine Fri-Sun. That means Mineral Basin will likely be soft and fun from opening bell in the morning up until about noon, then slushy, but then you move to Peruvian and finally Little Cloud for best snow as sun eventually softens entire mtn. High temps of 55 are better than highs around 35-40 as has been the case yesterday and today as snow will soften and be edgeable instead of remaining quite firm most of the day. Your idea of bringing a carver for the mornings and a wider ski for PM sounds good. Lately if Mineral starts off soft at 9am I just go with my wider slush busters (98mm) for all day over a narrower carver. But either could work.
Good chance I'll be up there one or more days during your visit. Send me your phone number in a pm and I'll send a text around thursday. If we get a quorum maybe I'll bring my bbq grill and cook us some lunch.
I'm going for a visit to Zion Nat Park Lodge on Tues and Wed with my wife!

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the intel, @Jim Kenney! Gonna go with a wider ski all day - only brought my boots given the scope of this trip isn't ski focused. Also: my carvers are narrower than would be practical out here (67mm waist) and I'd best save their edges for actual boilerplate. No matter: I can pilot whatever I latch to my feet - all good!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Bizarre..so weird. One of the things (even today), I still almost take for granted that in the ski/mountain community you can almost always leave your gear..even brand new expensive skis, on the rack and it will (almost) always be there when you get back. I attribute some of that (perhaps naively) that we all have an understanding that you value your skis and I value mine b/c they ride how you like them, are sized to you and "I don't need your skis and you don't mine". Luckily for me, my faith has been rewarded every time over nearly 45 years of skiing. I know others haven't been so lucky and its always a few who really muck it up for all of us. While its not life or death, that guy needs to learn a hard lesson b/c that is so uncool and illegal. Its better the police found him b/c if someone caught him in the act, I suspect it would be a bit more vigilante/hard knocks justice which obviously isn't good for anyone either.

My one random story of thinking my skis has been stolen was around 2005 when I had some old piece of crap Salomon's and was at Vail. Came out after lunch and they were gone and just couldn't imagine why someone would want them. Ski patrol called around and turns out some dude stepped in them at the bottom of the mtn..thinking they were his...lol...and realized at the top that they were not. Needless to say, sadly I was reunited with those skis...secretly I had kinda hoped they were gone! :)
I remember @Rainbow Jenny had skis stolen at a Whistler GTG midmountain restaurant. 6 of us looked unsuccessfully for them. She went back in for a cup of tea and when she came out the skis had been returned/
Either someone doing a free demo or had taken the wrong skis.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember @Rainbow Jenny had skis stolen at a Whistler GTG midmountain restaurant. 6 of us looked unsuccessfully for them. She went back in for a cup of tea and when she came out the skis had been returned/
Either someone doing a free demo or had taken the wrong skis.
I remember that... Given that it was mid-mountain with no easy way to take them down to the base, I think someone just grabbing the wrong ones and not realizing it is the likely answer.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
At last season’s JHMR gathering someone took @Dean ‘s skis from the rack but left a similar looking pair. Fortunately they were returned the next morning but he missed out on going to Targhee because of it.

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Also had a very nice chat with Bubba, who provides security/parking assist at the Bird...he's a funny and a good man.

In a parts of the thread colliding, Bubba was the one who caught the ski thief. I own an auto repair shop and work on a lot of ski folks vehicles, Bubba being one of them.

Bubba was in my shop a week or so ago and told me the story of the ski theft caper. A couple weeks ago he was chilling in his truck after work in a lot, dude comes walking by in obviously not ski attire carrying skis. Bubba follows him to his car and writes down the plate number. A week later same time, same place, Bubba chilling in his truck and the same dude wearing the exact same clothes comes by again carrying skis. Bubba called Snowbird public safety, they come and surround the guys car and call UPD. Real cops show up and the guy confessed to it immediately. Turns out the guy lives with his parents in Cottonwood Heights a few doors down from Dave Fields (Snowbird GM).

I’ve known Bubba for years, great guy, he worked the shack at the pond lot for a long time. He loves pistachios, I used to bring him a bag of them most days I parked at the pond lot.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll be up Saturday cooking pizza on the bypass. I’ve kept my eye out for Jim but haven’t seen him this season.

My crew and I are getting pretty good at the pizza production.

View attachment 133484 View attachment 133485

(And yeah, that is the Utah Jazz sideline reporter.)
I'm thinking you'll make do just fine if nobody else were to show up :huh:

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
I’ll be up Saturday cooking pizza on the bypass. I’ve kept my eye out for Jim but haven’t seen him this season.

My crew and I are getting pretty good at the pizza production.

View attachment 133484 View attachment 133485

(And yeah, that is the Utah Jazz sideline reporter.)

Good stuff. Perhaps I should extend my season by one more weekend just for the pizza. haha

dovski

Skier
Bird is the word :) Flying from Seattle to Salt Lake tomorrow after work so I can ski the following three days at Snowbird. This will be my first flight in over a year, which is the longest stretch I have gone without flying in over 30 years. Had to cancel my Snowbird/Alta trip earlier this year so glad I can squeeze in 3 days before the end of the season. Anyone who is going to be there and wants to grab a couple runs please PM me. Weather is looking great so should be a fun long weekend!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
May 14, 2021 Beautiful spring ski day with @dovski, Rafael, and @P-Ute at Snowbird.
L-R: Rafi, Dov
rafi dov mb.jpg dov angle.jpg
Dov in the Bookends dov bookends.jpg
White Diamonds
dov white diamonds.jpg
Dov and P-ute on little cloud lift dov and paul.jpg
Rafael rafi chips.jpg rafi dov.jpg
Rafi on Chips Face with Cliff Lodge below rafi cliff lodge.jpg dov summit lodge.jpg dov may 14.jpg
Tailgating in 60 deg temps!
dov rafi tailgate.jpg

Gonna do it again tomorrow.

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
In a parts of the thread colliding, Bubba was the one who caught the ski thief. I work on a lot of ski folks vehicles, Bubba being one of them.Bubba was in my shop a week or so ago and told me the story of the ski theft.

I’ve known Bubba for years, great guy, he worked the shack at the pond lot for a long time. He loves pistachios, I used to bring him a bag of them most days I parked at the pond lot.
I’m wondering if Bubba helped me with a dead car 15 years ago. I had an elcheapo rental Pontiac car and parked it at top of Chickadee. The ignition switch jammed and car became immobile. A guy from a Bird office across the road in employee housing helped. He had a similar problem with his own car (transmission jammed) solved by rocking the car back & forth. Tried this but no luck.

I said screw this, called the rental car company, gave Bubba or whoever the employee was my information and took off skiing the next 6 hours. At quitting time I’m having a beer with Cirquerider (From Pittsburgh) ,this Epic GTG trip leader, but get a call on my phone from Snowbird that a second car (Dollar or Budget) just arrived on a flatbed tow truck.
He & I rush up to the car, Snowbird blocked the bypass road while we swapped cars !

5 years later I read these small chevy’s & Pontiac’s were recalled by GM due to cheap plastic parts breaking inside the ignition switch.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
May 14, 2021 Beautiful spring ski day with @dovski, Rafael, and @P-Ute at Snowbird.
L-R: Rafi, Dov
View attachment 133773 View attachment 133774
Dov in the Bookends View attachment 133775
White Diamonds
View attachment 133801
Dov and P-ute on little cloud lift View attachment 133776
Rafael View attachment 133777 View attachment 133778
Rafi on Chips Face with Cliff Lodge below View attachment 133779 View attachment 133780 View attachment 133781
Tailgating in 60 deg temps!
View attachment 133782

Gonna do it again tomorrow.
That looks awesome.

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Was that Jim snapping a pic of me as they drove down the bypass? You should’ve stopped by.

The pizza was fantastic, no pics taken, I was busy stretching and cooking.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
May 15, 2021 was another beautiful late spring day at Snowbird. I skied with my son Vince, @Rudi Riet , @dovski and friend Rafael.

Rudi has a racing pedigree and is a treat to ski with, he and Vince wore me out.

Rudi and Vince at the beginning of the day. Vince skied with Rudi when he was a teenager more than a decade ago and was inspired by him.
rudi and vince may 15.jpg

Rudi sequence in the Bookends:
rudi bookends 1st.jpg rudi bookends 2nd.jpg rudi bookends middle.jpg rudi bookends next to last.jpg rudi bookends last.jpg

Vince in The Bookends
vince book good.jpg
The funny stuff comes out as the season reaches its conclusion
graduate.jpg bunnies may 15.jpg skiing guitarist.jpg elvis.jpg

Rudi:
rudi daltons draw.jpg rudi edge mineral.jpg rudi mark malu.jpg

Dov:
dov face.jpg dov mark malu.jpg

Random pond skimmer on Anderson Hill, there was a big crowd watching this:
pond close up.jpg

Vince skimming (I had the skim of shame and had to be fished out of the pond, sorry no photos!):
vince pond skim may 15.jpg

L-R: Jim, Rudi, Dov, Rafael:
group may 15 jim rudi dov rafael.jpg

Best action shot of the day: @BobMc baking pizza off the back of his truck!!
bob mc pizza oven.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.