• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2020-2021 Utah Resorts, Weather, Conditions and Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI: Brighton opened today for season passholders only. Four lifts, more trails than that. Very soft opening with little-to-no publicity. On-hill facilities other than lifts and restrooms completely shuttered: no food service, no ski school, no rentals.

Brian Head and Park City open tomorrow (November 20), not sure how much terrain will be open but the local NBC affiliate showed a pic from Brian Head and coverage looked decent on the run they showed.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snowbird’s parking spots are completely booked on weekends until Sunday, February 14th, according to their website. It should be noted that the large majority of weekdays still have reservations available. :eek:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbird’s parking spots are completely booked on weekends until Sunday, February 14th, according to their website. It should be noted that the large majority of weekdays still have reservations available. :eek:
And here we go, I think my worst fears of being able to “lie low” at Snowbasin are truly shot. Also, Snowbasin pushed back opening to the 27th (smart move, I think. The forecast is not favorable for an earlier opening.) https://www.snowbasin.com/news/arti...ff-80th-anniversary-season-friday-november-27
314D2828-F1DC-4521-A095-D967409BF3B3.png

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Snowbasin pushed back opening to the 27th
UGGhh, disappointing decision . Should have tried to open Monday or Tuesday of this coming week and catch people off guard like Brighton did. Now you’ve got opening on a holiday and everyone amped to go at the same time. I certainly hope it doesn’t fail but with limited lifts and terrain, I couldn’t imagine a worse scenario :( . If lack of preparation is what is holding them back than they could’ve just waited till Monday the 30th.
I was really hoping (assumed) they would have wildcat and middle bowl so we would not have to ride the gondola.
this development means I may not even go. I am pretty unsure (scared) about riding on the gondola.

Last edited:

tnerb

Booting up
Skier
I was also really hoping they could get wildcat early. I ski solo often, and loading a 6 pack with somebody on the opposite end of the chair sounds a lot better than getting stuck in the gondola with some mouth breather. Maybe I'll try for Sunday afternoon depending on how I hear Friday and Saturday go.

I see that they've added some language to the Gondola and Chairlift sections of the 2020-2021 season page. I'm not sure how unknown groups riding together "if both groups are comfortable" is sound COVID policy. I didn't realize the virus was not transmittable if people felt comfortable near eachother. :huh:https://www.snowbasin.com/2020-21-winter-season

4ster

Instructor
I was also really hoping they could get wildcat early. I ski solo often, and loading a 6 pack with somebody on the opposite end of the chair sounds a lot better than getting stuck in the gondola with some mouth breather. Maybe I'll try for Sunday afternoon depending on how I hear Friday and Saturday go.

I see that they've added some language to the Gondola and Chairlift sections of the 2020-2021 season page. I'm not sure how unknown groups riding together "if both groups are comfortable" is sound COVID policy. I didn't realize the virus was not transmittable if people felt comfortable near eachother. :huh:https://www.snowbasin.com/2020-21-winter-season
l am with you! I have no plans of riding a gondola with ANYONE at this point unless I am reasonably sure they have been quarantining. I’m just not sure l am comfortable riding it solo 12 minutes after someone else has. Are there plans to sanitize the cars between riders? Will the windows all be open once a group disembarks at the top? Has anyone calculated the risk level of riding a gondola car with or without others?
Maybe I am over cautious and taking this whole pandemic thing way too seriously But I just have to assume that everyone I encounter is potentially infected.
my worst case scenario was that I just wouldn’t use the gondolas this year. Hoping the conditions were at least similar to last year when I seem to spend most of my time on John Paul anyway. Since realistically we wouldn’t have JP open early season, I just figured wildcat would be a priority even above Needles gondola considering the current situation. What did they build that lift for anyway??? :doh:

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
UGGhh, disappointing decision . Should have tried to open Monday or Tuesday of this coming week and catch people off guard like Brighton did. Now you’ve got opening on a holiday and everyone amped to go at the same time. I certainly hope it doesn’t fail but with limited lifts and terrain, I couldn’t imagine a worse scenario :( . If lack of preparation is what is holding them back than they could’ve just waited till Monday the 30th.
I was really hoping (assumed) they would have wildcat and middle bowl so we would not have to ride the gondola.
this development means I may not even go. I am pretty unsure (scared) about riding on the gondola.
We won’t be there, and I don’t think I’ll go during the week until we get more snow. Definitely not until more lifts open.
Any forecasts on the lines for Little Cat? I have my thoughts...all those Learn and Earn in essentially private lessons. Plus the masses coming with Epic passes and those bailing on LCC due to parking restrictions.

@tnerb, definitely not sound COVID policy. Those cars used as hotboxes proves how long airborne crap can last in them even with the windows open.

Last edited:

4ster

Instructor
I’m fine with the WROD just not sure I am comfortable riding a gondola. Thought I finally was gonna have to eat my negativity about Wildcat chair. Just assumed it would be the go to with an airborne viral pandemic!!!

4ster

Instructor
The snow guns at the top of Wildcat, down Herberts and top of Becker are making snow.
Thanks that’s good to know ogsmile. I could even live with Becker & Middle Bowl chair. What’s that, about 1/2 hour to the top? Old school.:ogcool:
In the teens at my house this morning and looks like well below freezing nighttime temperatures next week.
There is hope!
I would hate to miss an opening day because the way things are going everyday may be the last.

So the other day I return to my car at the trailhead & as I open my car door an SUV pulls in right next to me. Plenty of parking 10, 20, 100 feet away but they park right next to me. Out jumps about 6 high school age dudes, none of them wearing masks or making the slightest attempt at distancing. Pretty obvious that they are not family members or all living together in a safety bubble. Pretty sure I’m not gonna go sit in that SUV or the gondola car they were in just 12 minutes ago.
5E985DFB-2466-4590-A218-AF12217A6E9D.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So the other day I return to my car at the trailhead & as I open my car door an SUV pulls in right next to me. Plenty of parking 10, 20, 100 feet away but they park right next to me. Out jumps about 6 high school age dudes, none of them wearing masks or making the slightest attempt at distancing. Pretty obvious that they are not family members or all living together in a safety bubble. Pretty sure I’m not gonna go sit in that SUV or the gondola car they were in just 12 minutes ago.
View attachment 115495
I hear ya. That's just one of the many reasons my spawn is schooling at home. I'm very grateful to have an introvert at the moment. She doesn't care to socialize anyway.

Be glad you have touring gear!

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
The salt lake tribune has a front page article on opening day at PCMR. Unfortunately I don't know how to share the link properly as a digital subscriber but perhaps Google will get you to the story

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pickin’s are mighty slim...
Wondering if you are hitting rocks, logs or dirt at PM. It was really warm at Snowbasin Tuesday and Wednesday. Good thing we have a 12 million gallon snowmaking reservoir and state of the art snowmaking. I remember patch skiing in January on Chicken in the early '80's. The not so good old days!

4ster

Instructor
Wondering if you are hitting rocks, logs or dirt at PM. It was really warm at Snowbasin Tuesday and Wednesday. Good thing we have a 12 million gallon snowmaking reservoir and state of the art snowmaking. I remember patch skiing in January on Chicken in the early '80's. The not so good old days!
I have glanced a few but extremely cautious how & where I am skiing. Only on slopes I have inspected when they are dry or I’ve skied in previous low tide conditions. I think it is really done till it snows again & wouldn’t recommend it. Pretty much just out to be out & get a little exercise.
89C0071E-FB19-49EC-B044-A0F822BF4A67.jpeg

Most areas got tracked & hammered pretty hard & haphazardly during last weekend’s warm storm. If it hadn’t been for the extra couple of inches midweek I would not have gone Thursday & Friday.
Now facets are beginning to form on top of a melt/freeze crust. Hopefully it heals before a big storm piles up on top of it...
72EAD38F-A101-417F-8ECF-DF672A0D0E1A.jpeg

Are you working up on the mountain? How’s it going?

Last edited:

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are you working up on the mountain? How’s it going?
We completed our refresher/recertification/lift evac training this week. We start mountain set up tomorrow. It is going well. The warm weather melted a lot of snow early in the week but the snow guns have been going full blast when cold enough. I am amazed how much investment, planning and preparation has happened to get open and stay open this season. Many innovations and changes to provide the best experience possible in very difficult times. Proud to be part of an amazing organization.

4ster

Instructor
We completed our refresher/recertification/lift evac training this week. We start mountain set up tomorrow. It is going well. The warm weather melted a lot of snow early in the week but the snow guns have been going full blast when cold enough. I am amazed how much investment, planning and preparation has happened to get open and stay open this season. Many innovations and changes to provide the best experience possible in very difficult times. Proud to be part of an amazing organization.
Good to hear! Patrol has always done a great job & glad to know it is full steam ahead. A part of me misses working up there. I know I sound negative sometimes but it is only cuz I love that place & want it to be the best for everyone.
Sometimes it is hard to sift through what is genuine & what is just marketing spin.
We all have a big investment, hope it all works out to be a safe & productive season.
Thanks for your efforts!

AltaFan

Booting up
Skier
Does anyone know how the Wasatch Benefit on the Alta season pass works this year for resorts that require advance lift ticket purchase like Deer Valley and Brighton? Can I just show up with the Alta pass?

For example on Deer Valley's website it says:
Deer Valley Season, Ikon Pass and Ikon Base Passes, or advance purchase lift tickets are the only way to access the mountain this winter season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online