• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2020-2021 Utah Resorts, Weather, Conditions and Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As much as it pains me to skip out on 14 inches and still falling (and COLD, should be blower!) today, I have no desire to deal with the traffic and parking hassles, the lift lines, which no doubt will be worsened by avy control (and maybe wind) lift closures at least for the morning. I feel like the best powder days have all been on Saturdays this year. With LCC closed until at least 8 a.m. that won't help. I'll stay home and get the snow blower out and have a party clearing the driveway and sidewalks and wait until tomorrow, which I think will be off the charts in the areas that don't get opened today. Bonus is I'll have my trusty husband guide, who I'm finally ready to follow through some of the gates into controlled areas.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
As much as it pains me to skip out on 14 inches and still falling (and COLD, should be blower!) today, I have no desire to deal with the traffic and parking hassles, the lift lines, which no doubt will be worsened by avy control (and maybe wind) lift closures at least for the morning. I feel like the best powder days have all been on Saturdays this year. With LCC closed until at least 8 a.m. that won't help. I'll stay home and get the snow blower out and have a party clearing the driveway and sidewalks and wait until tomorrow, which I think will be off the charts in the areas that don't get opened today. Bonus is I'll have my trusty husband guide, who I'm finally ready to follow through some of the gates into controlled areas.

It's up to 19" now. And, yup, I'm not fighting the traffic, sitting in traffic, and getting stuck at Strawberry gondola.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's up to 19" now. And, yup, I'm not fighting the traffic, sitting in traffic, and getting stuck at Strawberry gondola.
My husband got a private lesson with two guys from Michigan today. They are skiing all over the mountain having a blast! He’s paid his “dues” on LC and Becker/Wildcat this year. I’m glad he’s out with the blower pow going over his head. Hopefully he’ll get some pics. 11” and counting on my driveway in Mtn Green. :yahoo:

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
My husband got a private lesson with two guys from Michigan today. They are skiing all over the mountain having a blast! He’s paid his “dues” on LC and Becker/Wildcat this year. I’m glad he’s out with the blower pow going over his head. Hopefully he’ll get some pics. 11” and counting on my driveway in Mtn Green. :yahoo:
I'm going tomorrow morning. Just gotta decide which pair I'm taking...90 or 104 wide. Hmmmm

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
No matter how good JP was gonna be this morning I just couldn’t get myself to deal with the frenzy :( .
Instead I went up the road & hiked Baldy (not Alta) a few times...
8E5E1FB3-0703-4334-8946-E185CFBDBB7B.jpeg

F15C409F-FE1A-4000-B774-09297FFAD555.jpeg

Ended up at PM yesterday as well. Kind of a sleeper day with 5 or 6 unexpected inches.
E8020E60-A8DA-4B07-955D-597749E33E64.jpeg

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm going tomorrow morning. Just gotta decide which pair I'm taking...90 or 104 wide. Hmmmm
104. I wasn’t at snowbasin today but considering they got more than canyons where I was, 104 is an easy choice for tomorrow.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
104. I wasn’t at snowbasin today but considering they got more than canyons where I was, 104 is an easy choice for tomorrow.

104 is the right call. They got over 20 inches of new snow. Not sure what opened after 1 pm since I had to leave for a funeral but all lifts opened today.

Last edited:

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snowbird quoted 11" new this morning. And it snowed intermittently through the day. Peruvian was delayed so we made our way over to Gadzoom and even at 9:30 was surprised that the line was so short. Until maybe 10:30. Though 210 opened pretty much right on schedule at 8:00, I guess the hoards were delayed getting here and booted up. And I heard later that the drive was pretty treacherous, with people sliding off the road and the person relating the experience said they barely missed a collision.

As to the snow, I found it more work than I expected. For as cold as it got overnight, it was heavier than I would have thought. Definitely not blower. Or maybe it's because today is my first day on new powder skis, which definitely have a learning curve. Or maybe my Covid-gym-shut-down lack of conditioning is showing. Anyway, I'm beat.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I hired an instructor for early load tomorrow. Me and 4 friends. Said instructor for the first time in a long time wished he’d skied his 100s today. Said it was blowing over his head every run.

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
As to the snow, I found it more work than I expected. For as cold as it got overnight, it was heavier than I would have thought. Definitely not blower. Or maybe it's because today is my first day on new powder skis, which definitely have a learning curve. Or maybe my Covid-gym-shut-down lack of conditioning is showing. Anyway, I'm beat.

I felt it was a bit dense in some spots for how cold it was and that it didn't get that windy last night. I toured this morning and then made some turns at Alta in the afternoon...pretty fun day.

Where you all skiing Sunday and Monday?

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hit LCC around 1230 Saturday planning to go to Alta. It might be that I’m not dealing with everyone else first thing but I have yet to see UPD enforcing the traction law this winter.
It was stop and go most of the way up having to squeeze by cars chaining up halfway in the road. Once I hit the bypass road I checked for Snowbird parking and reserved a spot since it was available.
Having a date planned with mrsjmills I knew I couldn’t get caught in traffic going down the canyon. I had a great two hours in Mineral and made it home without getting myself in trouble.
She will be cleared to ski April 5 but think she will be happy waiting until next season to ski and focus on punishing me on the tennis court. If she is confident her shoulder is repaired and is able to hit a serve, I know I’m in trouble.

CF5CB576-8B9D-4D74-8E11-DB67C2E177D0.jpeg 0B69340F-6572-415F-B1FA-8E1AB78B1700.jpeg C3460B89-9E14-4EC4-92F4-38D93E4AB009.jpeg 9A276781-163F-455C-83D0-CAA959427593.jpeg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Today was a good day at Snowbird, UT, 2/28/21. It snowed more than a foot in the last 24 hrs and parts of the mtn were finally opened after being closed for weeks, so they skied even deeper. I missed the mid Feb storm and started skiing Snowbird fairly regularly since Feb 19. Today was the best conditions I've seen since I got out here to UT.
Many of these shots are from Red Lens Line, Tiger Tail and Thunder Bowl. vince 1.jpg vince 2 (3).jpg vince 3 (2).jpg vince 4 (2).jpg vince 5 (2).jpg jim 1 (2).jpg jim 2 (2).jpg jim 3 (2).jpg DSCN3724 (2).JPG

Around 130PM we met up with @Spooky He's a real strong skier, in fact he had climbed Mt Superior at 530AM today, skied down it and then put in a full day of resort skiing! Nice to meet you Spooky.
DSCN3731 (2).JPG DSCN3732 (2).JPG DSCN3735 (2).JPG DSCN3744 (2).JPG DSCN3745 (2).JPG DSCN3747 (2).JPG

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
My first morning run down Dan's at Snowbasin. Tried several times to go down Strawberry from Bear Springs, but saw a long line each time. PXL_20210228_170310124~2.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My first morning run down Dan's at Snowbasin. Tried several times to go down Strawberry from Bear Springs, but saw a long line each time. View attachment 126182
We had first gondola on Strawberry, got to the top, the doors opened, the gondola stopped, giving us a couple minutes head start. Got first tracks in Strawberry Fields since it had not opened on Saturday. The mountain was already pretty chewed up by our second run where we dropped along the ridge between Strawberry Fields and lower DeMoisy. I really loathe the busy-ness up there anymore. It just feels like a frenzy and it's hard to take in the moment and relax and enjoy it. It feels like a race. Regardless, it was a really fun day with fun people. I skied more places than I have ever ventured--it was so good for me, but by 1 o'clock, I was COOKED. I kept skiing until 2:30 which was probably a bad idea as I could have gotten hurt.

We forgot the GoPro :doh: and forgot to take pictures. Part of the whole feeding frenzy vibe is that it's hard to slow down enough to take pics and take things in. We were also having too much fun chatting and laughing and skiing.

This storm definitely over-delivered for Snowbasin--20+ inches on the snowstake meant well over 2 feet up higher. The masses definitely showed up. I have never seen No Name skied out the way it was, NEVER. Never mind the rest of the mountain, where there was not one square inch of untracked to be found. Gone are the days that you could find untracked for days after a storm.

They released pass prices for next season, up by what, $150? I feel it's overdue, the problem is, the skier experience is going downhill (no pun intended) yet the cost is going uphill. The Epic pass needs to go. Bring back the Mountain Collective if we have to be on a mega-pass. I'm not remotely alone in those sentiments. I sure hope they plan to use some of that added revenue to put a lift in on Strawberry (which has been approved by the Forest Service) and upgrade some of the other lifts. I've heard rumblings that Becker is going to be re-routed and upgraded (???) I fear it's going to run to the top of the Diamond or something, which will forever ruin that gem of real estate that takes a bit to get to.

Another thing I've noticed this year that I've never seen or noticed before is the number of straight line cuts across some of the best not so traveled powder stashes, including the Diamond and also the area off the track to get to the Diamond if you drop skiers right. People traverse across those pitches instead of skiing the fall line, and I'm not really sure where they're going? Is this just a symptom of the straight line culture combined with the inability to buy a turn in powder even on fat skis? Do people not understand the fall line anymore? (I'll venture the answer to that is "yes".) I'd like to order up a Tuesday powder day. It's still busy, but nothing like the weekends. Forecast looks like a taste of spring skiing this week. I'll definitely take advantage and hope for a bit of quietness.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I hired an instructor for early load tomorrow. Me and 4 friends. Said instructor for the first time in a long time wished he’d skied his 100s today. Said it was blowing over his head every run.
So, how was it?

EDIT: you were reading my mind :ogcool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor