• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2020-2021 Utah Resorts, Weather, Conditions and Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I still have my one Wasatch benefit day at Alta. Maybe next weekend we have a mini-gathering??

I have not been paying attention to Utah resorts, but we'll be driving through this coming weekend on the way to Colorado. Looks like we'll be skiing somewhere in Utah if anything is open and has good conditions.
What's open?

TS
P-Ute

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have not been paying attention to Utah resorts, but we'll be driving through this coming weekend on the way to Colorado. Looks like we'll be skiing somewhere in Utah if anything is open and has good conditions.
What's open?
Alta reopens for Friday thru Sunday.
Snowbird is currently open daily.
Solitude is open Thursday thru Sunday (Moonbeam and Apex lifts only) per email from Solitude that I received this morning.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What's open?
Well, bad timing! Bring your bikes! We're heading south to ride the new trail system in Richfield, right off I-70. UNLESS the forecast changes and it's better weather for skiing. It's not looking that way, though.

It occurred to me yesterday that we should have skied BOTH Alta and Snowbird while we were up there yesterday. I mean, why not? The Mountain Collective lets us ski both. We spent the morning at Alta skiing with friends from the ski instructor world, including the most rippin' 6 year old girl. What a hoot! Off-piste was pretty well done but the groomers were rather spectacular. I finally rode Supreme, and saw the treed areas that people rave about. We avoided the Collins side because we were a little concerned about the yahoos over there who could take out anyone, but especially a 6YO, really easily.

A good way to end the season. Unless we get a burr up our butts and hit Snowbird for a day in the next few weeks. Shoulder season always tests my patience.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
my knuckledraggin friends are pushing me to hit the bird this weekend. ill PM ya if that changes
Not knuckledragging here. It was nice to ski with @Jim Kenney and many in the Utah crew.
Back in Tahoe but haven’t skied since due to sister from NE Oregon visiting. She left today for a self only 11 hr nonstop drive home! Sounds rough. So a few more Squaw/Alpine days and a Mammoth trip in next 4 weeks. Will pass on the Pre-Mother’s Day trip to A basin this year. I don’t know if it’s officially happening this year but people are going anyway.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What's open?
Have unlimited pass to Snowbird, but also one free day at Alta. Plan to use the Alta day Fri, Sat or Sun. Not sure which day yet. Sunday is Alta's absolute last day of the season. Snowbird will be open another 1-2 months.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have unlimited pass to Snowbird, but also one free day at Alta. Plan to use the Alta day Fri, Sat or Sun. Not sure which day yet. Sunday is Alta's absolute last day of the season. Snowbird will be open another 1-2 months.
Mrsjmills got the Gold Passes for Friday and is taking the day off to ski her second day of the season after hitting Alta Sunday. I asked Brandt about hitting Alta Friday as well so if he goes (he didn’t take the Gold Pass Sunday) we could get an Alta pass for you or Brandt for $60. I’ll pitch in half so you both can save the Wasatch Benefit day for Saturday or Sunday.

Day 1
E2B2EB42-9AE7-4DF7-9DC0-123096C33288.jpeg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Mrsjmills got the Gold Passes for Friday and is taking the day off to ski her second day of the season after hitting Alta Sunday. I asked Brandt about hitting Alta Friday as well so if he goes (he didn’t take the Gold Pass Sunday) we could get an Alta pass for you or Brandt for $60. I’ll pitch in half so you both can save the Wasatch Benefit day for Saturday or Sunday.

Day 1
View attachment 131878
No need to pitch in for me. I still have one free day for Alta and it's looking like I'll use it on Friday with @P-Ute . Maybe I'll bring my portable grill for hot dog lunch (or après ski) in the parking lot if folks are comfortable with that?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like several of us will be skiing at Alta this Friday, Apr 23. Chime in here if anyone is interested in trying to rendezvous. I may bring my grill for cooking some food for a picnic.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Fast and Firm at the Bird yesterday! - Flat light made things that much tougher . couldn't see anything in Mineral when i dropped in there around 1130 . yikes . overcast and windy so it really didn't soften up much ( at least while i was there) - bought this sticker to commemorate the fun
IMG_8438.JPG

should be back to full spring conditions soon with the heat returning

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Did y'all see the forecast for early next week?

I know. I haven't retired my boots to the basement yet...it's kind of killing April biking, as the trails (especially on the Wasatch back) are not drying out at all.

Only problem is I don't know my way around Snowbird at ALL. My husband does, but he has this pesky FT job during the week. Oh, and I have to shuttle my 14YO to a tennis tournament next week, and as is the norm with tournaments, I don't know what days yet. :rolleyes:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Will have hot dogs to share at Alta in wildcat lot around 1230-1pm Apr 23 flying red flag over my gray outback.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
I know. I haven't retired my boots to the basement yet...it's kind of killing April biking, as the trails (especially on the Wasatch back) are not drying out at all.

Only problem is I don't know my way around Snowbird at ALL. My husband does, but he has this pesky FT job during the week. Oh, and I have to shuttle my 14YO to a tennis tournament next week, and as is the norm with tournaments, I don't know what days yet. :rolleyes:

I can empathize. I'm out of town through next Thursday.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Well, there's this amazing form of bicycling that takes place on paved roads, and there are plenty of them on the Wasatch back and front that are in prime riding condition right now. That should suffice until the trails clear enough to ride without destroying them.

Growing up in SLC I remember the shoulder season. I'd throw narrow tires on my MTB (or ride it on the road with the extra rolling resistance) and ride the canyon roads and others until the fire roads and singletrack cleared out. It was not only a great stopgap, but it also worked areas of my biking that riding exclusively off road didn't.

Trying to find some upsides, @AmyPJ.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, there's this amazing form of bicycling that takes place on paved roads, and there are plenty of them on the Wasatch back and front that are in prime riding condition right now. That should suffice until the trails clear enough to ride without destroying them.

Growing up in SLC I remember the shoulder season. I'd throw narrow tires on my MTB (or ride it on the road with the extra rolling resistance) and ride the canyon roads and others until the fire roads and singletrack cleared out. It was not only a great stopgap, but it also worked areas of my biking that riding exclusively off road didn't.

Trying to find some upsides, @AmyPJ.
I’ve been on some road rides. I get boooorred.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Two words: Utah drivers
Two more words: Shawn Bradley

I get it, but drivers everywhere in the U.S. are a problem. Drivers in this country are under-trained (it's far too easy to get an license in the States and laws are poorly and/or haphazardly enforced). Many often drive beyond their abilities and drive distracted, and the over-sized SUVs with poor sight lines don't help the situation (seriously: a hood/grill that's almost 5 feet above ground level isn't safe for anybody).

And yes, Shawn Bradley's injury is totally inexcusable. The driver who crashed into him had zero excuses. At least he's still alive. Road violence kills and injures too many people in the U.S. Drivers often get off easy, such is the car-centric culture we have right now.

But I grew up riding bicycles with Utah drivers on the roads. I ride on roads in the greater DC area (spoiler: our drivers are far, far, far worse than anything Utah produces) every day. Sure, it's not ideal but I'm also not going to let fear dictate whether I do an activity I enjoy.

When I was in SLC from September to December of 2020, I brought my road bike and was on it a lot. I rode all over the Salt Lake valley, in southern Davis County, and in the various canyons out of SLC. Plenty of fellow riders out there as well. Drivers in the greater SLC area were like all drivers in the U.S. Most were more predictable than those in the greater DC area. Also: the roads in Utah are wider than most here in the east (newer roads built to a more forgiving standard), so there was always enough space for folks to coexist.

Anywho... let's just say that riding a bicycle on the road is statistically very safe. Is it perfect? No, but mountain biking has its own risks, as does skiing. We all choose which risks to take in life. As I often say: your mileage may vary.

I’ve been on some road rides. I get boooorred.

Huh. Where have you been on these rides? There are plenty of non-boring road rides in northern Utah. Some of the best roads to ride in the U.S. happen to be out there. And if you add gravel roads to the mix, there's a full-on buffet of great rides in Utah. And no, you don't need a gravel bike to ride them (tho it's easier on the hands and wrists to ride on wider, more pliable tires).

I get the attraction of the trails in northern Utah, though. They're still my favorites to ride MTB. But after my total hip replacement my MTB days are mostly done. In terms of acceptable risk, I'd rather not go through a revision and riding in fear is an easy path to injury.

OK - back to skiing stoke. Hope the snow lasts at The Bird for a bit longer, as I may have a chance to get a day up there when I'm out in early May.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor