• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2020-2021 Utah Resorts, Weather, Conditions and Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Went up to Snowbird today and it wasn't bad for a cloudy day, place was empty. The temps were above freezing so the groomers in Peruvian side were soft and pretty friendly, not as windy as they previously predicted, even much of the offpiste was soft spring snow. We skied from 11-3pm. Flat light in Mineral and Little Cloud, one and done for both of those.

The last few seasons I would not have missed closing day at Alta for anything. A few weeks into this season I upgraded from an Alta family pass to an Altabird with my wife not being able to ski most of the season
Skiing many days alone and then with my Snowbird guides @Jim Kenney and Brandt has made for a great season that isn’t close to being finished.
Mrsjmills agreed to a parking pass and moving the family pass to Snowbird for next season.

Jim looking smooth in the soft spring snow.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
This retro dude, jeans,mismatched gloves, mohawk hair, rear entry boots has record for last chair at Alta.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
April 26, 2021 was a powder day at Snowbird with few people, but visibility wasn't the greatest.

April 27 was another story, and sunny with about 11" new snow in the last 24 hrs. It was a really primo day, but a lot of people knew that and one of my lift lines took 15 mins. I met a knew friend, a local guy named Craig and we skied together for about 2.5 hrs. He was 60+ but a really strong skier and made for a great subject in some photos I took. We skied some fairly challenging offpiste terrain in Mineral Basin, Little Cloud bowl, and The Cirque.

Apr 27, spring is underway in the valley, but up in Little Cottonwood Canyon it's still wintry.
apr 27 spring.jpg

Craig entering Little Cloud bowl
apr 27 craig lc side.jpg
Skiing offpiste beside the Little Cloud chair, note very small line at base of lift, while other parts of the mtn were quite busy. This chair was MONEY today.
apr 27 craig LC back.jpg
Craig scoping out a line in the Upper Cirque.
apr 27 craig cirque pose.jpg
He's a ripper!
apr 27 craig start up cir.jpg
Face shot!
apr 27 craig up cir face shot.jpg
apr 27 craig mid up cir.jpg

He's on Rossignol Soul 7s, not that you can see the graphics.
apr 27 craig mid cir face.jpg
Really good snow in the cirque today.
apr 27 craig up cir almost back.jpg
Dalton's Draw
apr 27 dalton blurry.jpg
Old guys can catch air too. Nice to meet you Craig!
apr 27 craig dalton.jpg

*Craig if you see this thread and figure out how to post in it try to put up that video of me wiping out in the cirque. My friends here will appreciate it:roflmao:

Attachments

• apr 27 dalton blurry.jpg
    apr 27 dalton blurry.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, wipe outs are always fun to see. COnditions still look great out there. I'll likely be skiing Killlington this weekend, maybe the following, but it will be dicey on anything outside of a couple of trails.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
@Jim Kenney Sounds like you guys killed it yesterday ! Kudo's

I was at Alpine Meadows today. More like winter than spring. 4 inches new severaldays ago.
Super hot starting tomorrow. Utah will probably get hot weather in a day or 2.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
Spent 2.5 hours at Snowbird this morning. Last night the temp didn't get as cold as I had hoped, so the snow got soft relatively quickly this morning. Some people like that mashed potatoes stuff, but not me. Still, good time to be had on this May 2nd, especially trying out new skis. PXL_20210502_163728740~2.jpg

Last edited:

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Mashed potatoes, Corn, Frozen chicken heads, coral reef, slushy, crusty, firm, and ICEY. Saw it all at the Bird over the weekend.

loved every minute of it

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw the US Ski team (moguls) at Snowbird today, May 4, 2021. I rode up the tram with about 6 or 7 of them at 9:15AM. They're so young, or maybe I'm so old. :ogbiggrin: Also, I was fascinated at how tiny their skis were, perhaps 165cm long at most and possibly 67mm underfoot??
4 may us ski team tram.jpg

This is team member Olivia Giaccio, I know because her name was on her gear bag. Olivia was the first woman ever to attempt a cork 1080 in moguls World Cup competition. Her last name means "ice" in Italian
4 may OG US ski team moguls.jpg
Mineral Basin/Powder Paradise was a ghost town today.
4 may mineral basin empty.jpg

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Sounds like my travel companions for my Snowbird trip May 13-16 are going to bail. Anyone else going to be there over those dates?

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
April 26, 2021 was a powder day at Snowbird with few people, but visibility wasn't the greatest.

April 27 was another story, and sunny with about 11" new snow in the last 24 hrs. It was a really primo day, but a lot of people knew that and one of my lift lines took 15 mins. I met a knew friend, a local guy named Craig and we skied together for about 2.5 hrs. He was 60+ but a really strong skier and made for a great subject in some photos I took. We skied some fairly challenging offpiste terrain in Mineral Basin, Little Cloud bowl, and The Cirque.

Apr 27, spring is underway in the valley, but up in Little Cottonwood Canyon it's still wintry.
View attachment 132513

Craig entering Little Cloud bowl
View attachment 132501
Skiing offpiste beside the Little Cloud chair, note very small line at base of lift, while other parts of the mtn were quite busy. This chair was MONEY today.
View attachment 132502
Craig scoping out a line in the Upper Cirque.
View attachment 132503
He's a ripper!
View attachment 132504
Face shot!
View attachment 132505
View attachment 132506

He's on Rossignol Soul 7s, not that you can see the graphics.
View attachment 132507
Really good snow in the cirque today.
View attachment 132508
Dalton's Draw
View attachment 132512
Old guys can catch air too. Nice to meet you Craig!
View attachment 132510

*Craig if you see this thread and figure out how to post in it try to put up that video of me wiping out in the cirque. My friends here will appreciate it:roflmao:
Skiing the Cirque is so fun when the POW is soft!!! Awesome conditions for April!!!

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
Sounds like my travel companions for my Snowbird trip May 13-16 are going to bail. Anyone else going to be there over those dates?

Maybe on the 15th and/or 16th. Most likely just the 16th. I try to stay away from public places on Saturdays in Utah. :)

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Cinco de Mayo up at Snowbird was a really beautiful spring ski day. The high temps might have been low 50s. The snow stayed good and fairly fast on much of the mtn. Too much fun to mess with a lot of photo taking. Some beer was enjoyed including a Mexican style lager by Melvin brewing of Alpine Wy and a bottle of Corona. Lunch on bypass road with @P-Ute:
may 5 lunch.jpg

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Stolen skis at Snowbird found and person caught.

Interesting note to that.... "The man, who will face charges, claims he never intended to sell the skis as he thought he would get caught and that he just felt compelled to steal them."

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Interesting note to that.... "The man, who will face charges, claims he never intended to sell the skis as he thought he would get caught and that he just felt compelled to steal them."
Perhaps he felt the owners were not maintaining their skis and felt compelled to steal and tune them. Kind of like that Seinfeld episode where the Mechanic steals Jerry's car because he is not taking care of it

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bizarre..so weird. One of the things (even today), I still almost take for granted that in the ski/mountain community you can almost always leave your gear..even brand new expensive skis, on the rack and it will (almost) always be there when you get back. I attribute some of that (perhaps naively) that we all have an understanding that you value your skis and I value mine b/c they ride how you like them, are sized to you and "I don't need your skis and you don't mine". Luckily for me, my faith has been rewarded every time over nearly 45 years of skiing. I know others haven't been so lucky and its always a few who really muck it up for all of us. While its not life or death, that guy needs to learn a hard lesson b/c that is so uncool and illegal. Its better the police found him b/c if someone caught him in the act, I suspect it would be a bit more vigilante/hard knocks justice which obviously isn't good for anyone either.

My one random story of thinking my skis has been stolen was around 2005 when I had some old piece of crap Salomon's and was at Vail. Came out after lunch and they were gone and just couldn't imagine why someone would want them. Ski patrol called around and turns out some dude stepped in them at the bottom of the mtn..thinking they were his...lol...and realized at the top that they were not. Needless to say, sadly I was reunited with those skis...secretly I had kinda hoped they were gone! :)

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Today at the Bird was great skiing with my buddy Brandt. Even with a start around noon the snow held up. Having a rock damage structure kept them running fast.
We were going to finish with a Cirque run and Brandt skied past the upper gate that I went to.
The 2nd gate in of the lower traverse entrance was being closed by SSP as we skied up. The fall line from there seemed like it hasn’t seen a skier for a bit. It was softish and skiable.
8AC065B5-94A1-4FE5-BAEF-016E4DB5527B.jpeg 85C106FD-B0A6-408A-88F4-6AA0299100D6.jpeg E7113792-287D-4C72-890E-A2D65DBD71C5.jpeg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe on the 15th and/or 16th. Most likely just the 16th. I try to stay away from public places on Saturdays in Utah. :)

Mostly likely the 16th (my birthday) - happy to have some Pugs to ski with (and help document the day). Might consider the 15th as well, but the 16th is almost certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online