• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2020/21 Northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Stowe was surprisingly good today. It seemed like it rained quite a bit last night, but it stayed snow somewhere above mid-mountain. Lower mountain was crusty, steep groomers were ungroomed, but bumps were nice. Centerline was best it's been all year. Crowds were light (for once) and it was pretty deserted after lunch. It did get pretty icy after lunch.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It stayed all snow in Maine and everything was nice and soft. There's about 3 feet of heavy base in the woods so we just need 1 good storm and no rain. Sunday River is in a little better shape than Sugar loaf but our neighbor's dentist said Saddleback is great. 20210228_102710.jpg Rocks are a little scraped up from the vacation weeks. Lapping trees with teenagers is tiring though.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It stayed all snow in Maine and everything was nice and soft. There's about 3 feet of heavy base in the woods so we just need 1 good storm and no rain. Sunday River is in a little better shape than Sugar loaf but our neighbor's dentist said Saddleback is great. View attachment 126119 Rocks are a little scraped up from the vacation weeks. Lapping trees with teenagers is tiring though.
I will likely be at Saddleback tomorrow if anyone wants to join me.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skies Wildcat today and it was very good, stayed off groomers as much as possible, softer bumps everywhere

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I will likely be at Saddleback tomorrow if anyone wants to join me.

If i weren't 254.9 miles away a three day weekend would be tempting. Need to work remotely more.

I looked at the Cannon report but DJ and Kinsman are the 2 closed trails( as usual). We heard the Conway mountains were rough last week.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Loon today and it was pretty good. 40 temp at the base, so all the groomed packed powder was a little soft and very edgable. Not overly crowded, sporadic lines. Traveling was easy with moderate traffic. I skinned a little bit with a different skin on each ski. Both felt exactly the same. Not what I expected, but I guess you could say both were equally good. One was full mohair and the other was a nylon-mohair mix.

IMG_20210228_145342656.jpg IMG_20210228_151805909.jpg

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sugarbush was better than I thought it would be yesterday. Firm and frozen up lower down though. My friends wanted to ski some bumps on Lower Jester and I went along. It was skiing that is good for you and was possibly worthy of something the Ministry of Bad Ideas might do.

Raining out right now supposed to turn to a few inches of wet snow. No hurry to get out on the hill this morning. Our theme for this week is: it is what it is. IIWII Mon.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend is up at Sunday River for the week and texted to say that it is snowing hard up there now.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With the warm weather, mask compliance is deteriorating. Quite a few people with noses showing in line.

A young woman didn't even have a mask so ski patrol has a bag of masks to give out.

An older guy who my daughter said looks like the Lorax couldnt even figure out how to put the mask on.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
It looked pretty dismal in Stowe today with three cars in the parking lot at 8:30.
2BA11F9D-7E7E-48E1-872F-27BA3A3424F5.jpeg
It started out with light rain. Rained quite a bit last night. All steep groomers were closed but looked pretty decent having been groomed last night. Fog was thick down to mid-mountain for most of the day. Skiing actually turned out to be pretty good as it got a bit warmer. Soft springy groomers all day. Tomorrow might be another story with single digits tonight but I think we will have nice skiing in a few days when it warms up.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Saddleback was good this morning except sticky down low and lifts down for some reason. Anyway, I skinned a lap and it was lovely cream cheese. Cross post from skintrack thread:

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, that looks nasty. I want whatever attire that dude is wearing standing out in that storm.

James

Out There
Instructor
8DCD79A3-D431-4666-A735-62AC5660FCD7.jpeg
It looked pretty dismal in Stowe today with three cars in the parking lot at 8:30.
That reminds me of the last gathering at Stowe. I pulled into that lot and parked right at the edge near that opening in the trees near the right side. The one with one tree at the bottom. Seemed like a good spot. The bottom part of that was a frozen lake that morning and the ice extended some ways up.

I’m standing at the back of the car talking to the parking lot guy. All of a sudden two patrollers, one with a sled, show up at the top of that space. If they go down it, there is no way they are stopping. They are coming straight into us or the car, either standing or on the ground, passed by the sled. All I can think is, “don’t do it..don’t do it...” We stop talking for bit, there’s no time to say anything, we’re just staring up at them. I think had they gone, we might have gotten run over, just standing there mesmerized by the oncoming and unfolding train wreck.
Fortunately they thought better of it and went around.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I did get out from about 11:30 to 3:00 today at Killington. Sunny, cold and windy, with a very light crowd. Calling the surfaces firm would be generous . Had to smile when the Killington report this morning said bring your handwarmers and sharpest skis to enjoy some "classic New England sking and riding".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online