• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2020/21 Northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Killington's an hour-fifteen closer, probably even better when taking in we have to roll around NYC right around 4:30 rush hour if we head to NH (work departures...). Is the juice worth the squeeze headed to Loon to "try something different"? We were at Killington within the last ten years or so, I'd say...

And Sugarbu$h (kind of was in the mood to head there) is stupid money for three days.

Killington is always a blast.
Skied Sugarbush in January after 40 years break. It's an amazing mountain. Skis big.

James

Out There
Instructor
Okemo closing date is Easter Sunday April 4. This is unchanged from November. They need to close early to replace two lifts. They were going to do it last year but Covid happened.
There’s some issue with not being able to work at some time in the spring because of bird habitat, thus they start early. (Leitner-Poma is the lift Co.) The Jackson Gore quad bubble is going to be moved to the Green Ridge locale. That Gore quad bubble will be replaced by a 6 bubble. Don’t ask me how they’re going to fit the base. I sense reconfiguring.

Hopefully, the replaced Green Ridge lift will be extended down to Mt Road trail. This would be a major change in how the Mt is used. Plus, it’ll open up huge tracts of very steep terrain that’ll be like Double Dipper at Killington...*

Don’t know what’s happening to the old triple. Maybe it’ll go to Ascutney which has a rope tow and t-bar and is town/volunteer run.

Or, it’ll go to Magic, which will take 4.2 years to install, by which time the lift has decayed beyond being certified. Inspector shows up, looks at his indemnified list, says “this lift is off the list! I can’t certify it.”
Magic- “You’re trying to rip us off!”
Inspector-“Those are the rules. But, if you sign this waiver..”

*Hope springs eternal. Just not happening, unless we reshape the Mt completely with small nukes. We’re 70 years too late for that.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Of course not. Plus Killington is different than 10yrs ago.
Killington has the added benefit of half a dozen very good ski shops. It’s March, things go on sale.

2 years ago I got a deal at one of those shops in March. Hestra Army Heli mittens for $80. Almost 50% off! This time of year is great to poke around shops and online for good deals on ski gear and apparel.

I'd pick Killington over Loon even if I'd been there last year. Too crowded at Loon for my tastes.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sugarbush is almost like the forgotten mountain. Between Stowe & Killington.
It's a real skier's mountain. Almost like skiing the way it used to be.
Yeah, last time I was there I got stuck on a stopped chair for a bit on a windy single digit day, just like it used to be. :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, last time I was there I got stuck on a stopped chair for a bit on a windy single digit day, just like it used to be. :roflmao:
They definitely had some lift issues. I believe they have replaced all the offenders.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I went to Loon last year (or maybe the one before) for the first time in years and I was pleasantly surprised by the terrain. But it was crazy crowded in the parking lots, base lodges, and lifts out of the base. Once you got up into the advanced terrain the crowds weren't bad.

I think Loon is the closest "big" mountain to Boston, which may be why it is so crowded. (There is also a historical hang-over from before they built the interstates, when getting to NH was much easier than getting to VT. Some natives still haven't gotten the message.)

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Exactly and that's one of the reasons I love it.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, Sugarbush has some really cool terrain, but Killington does a much better job of making things better when conditions aren't good. They had some lift issues a few years back but they seem to have been resolved as James said.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went to Loon last year (or maybe the one before) for the first time in years and I was pleasantly surprised by the terrain. But it was crazy crowded in the parking lots, base lodges, and lifts out of the base. Once you got up into the advanced terrain the crowds weren't bad.

I think Loon is the closest "big" mountain to Boston, which may be why it is so crowded. (There is also a historical hang-over from before they built the interstates, when getting to NH was much easier than getting to VT. Some natives still haven't gotten the message.)

Yup. Very easy to get to for the eastern MA crowd. Get off 93 and you're at the mountain vs getting off 89 and driving another 30-45 minutes.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just to add my 2 cents to the Loon/Killington discussion. I'm a fan of both and in a normal season we spend at least 1 weekend each at both resorts. Killington with its size and terrain and Loon for being what I perceive as a well run operation. Both Killington and Lincoln provide some good après ski opportunities and good lodging. Both are worth going to, however, this being the northeast telling you which one to go to when is a crap shoot.

IMG_0071.JPG

1709.JPG

Had lots of fun on these, at K on top and Loon below.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not really a comparison between Killington and Loon. And my then 13 year old kid got offered some weed by some college girls last year so need i say more (i wasnt on the lift with them amd he didnt inhale).

A guy from our town grew up at and has a home at K so he showed us all around. Its a great mountain and they make snow to a stupid level.

Sugarbush has some of the best terrain in New England. I wouldn't exactly call it forgotten. Maybe Mt Ellen.

Loon is ok for a day trip but you could drive 20 more minutes and ski Cannon with no lines. My pass is good at loon and i have been zero times this year. We are home this weekend maybe i will go on Sunday

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Thanks. What a season. Normally for our March ski excursion, we're looking at flights out West, but the cards aren't lining up this time around.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

They definitely could use some much needed upgrades to their infrastructure. There are much room for development. Will see what the Bank of Alterra brings.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This weekend's stop on the COVID 'never been here' tour was Jiminy Peak. Everything was groomed and fast, which isn't a bad thing. I spent the day doing drills and working on my transitions. I can't say I'd go back but it was better than I expected it to be. The lift layout works pretty well and lines weren't that bad except at the base.

The one thing that was really, really surprising was that almost all the lifts that go through sections of trees are littered with empty cans and nips. I'm not talking half a dozen over the course of the lift ride but dozens all over the place. The mountain even has a big wooden box at one of the lift towers, maybe 3' tall that was half-filled with cans. I have never seen such disrespect for the ski hill anywhere until today. It's like it's an acceptable and even expected thing to do. Really disappointing to see.

I found this photo via Google of one of the other lifts with a box. Today the trash was worse and spread all over the place.

140907.jpg

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well the three foot box for empties is an attempt to get kids to throw their cans into a container instead of on the trail. We have this at Jiminy and the beer bottles/cans are all over the place. It's a mess and a disgrace. The trail is one of the best steep shots there but for the screech of beer cans and breaking bottles. Every now and then ski patrol can be seen picking up the empties. I'm sure they didn't sign up for that.

Now, when I was a kid we always made the toss into the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online