• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2020/21 Northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
The list of skiing options is melting out fast...

Eastern Closing Thread : Post-Easter Heatwave – Part 2

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm not sure Stowe will make it past this weekend. Skiing was good today, but getting thin. Hayride and Nosedive were best runs of the day. Bumps on top of Nosedive were great, Hayride was pretty much bumps the whole way, but two big bands of scree coming through. Liftline and National were open, but pretty much toast. The blue groomers were swamps.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ll be there too tomorrow around 1030. 187 head rock and rolls and Fischer race boots.
Will look for someone skiing g really fast. I have te hince cochise boots and G3 skis. Robin is on black pearls.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I'm not sure Stowe will make it past this weekend. Skiing was good today, but getting thin. Hayride and Nosedive were best runs of the day. Bumps on top of Nosedive were great, Hayride was pretty much bumps the whole way, but two big bands of scree coming through. Liftline and National were open, but pretty much toast. The blue groomers were swamps.

:(

Only 44 inches under normal at the stake!

Untitled.png

Looks like we were off to a good start in November before the lifts started turning and it's been poor ever since.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
It felt more like May than April at Sunday River today. Some stuff was a little firm in the morning, but most of it softened quickly. Lost Princess was great around 9:00, large bumps with some decent lines and the surface peeling away. Downdraft and the top of Vortex were similarly fun, albeit far shorter.

It may be just me, but it seems like patrol is being rather aggressive keeping things open with some extra "thin cover" or "walking required" signs. I'm a fan, hopefully the crowd at this point of the season appreciates it rather than getting upset that it's not perfect corduroy.

Speaking of which, it's apparently past the ideal point for high speed runs at first chair; I got past the narrow section of Sunday Punch, pointed them, and a turn later found a couple pretty decent bumps where the groomer wasn't able to smooth things out. Woke me right up.

Kansas gets slog of the day award, that trail isn't much fun when it's been baking in the sun, and even less so when people in front of you want to make turns to slow down on the less flat portions (pretty sure they regretted that shortly thereafter).

James

Out There
Instructor
If you wondered where everyone in VT was today...Killington. Quite a good crowd. Snow is going fast. Yesterday I heard was much better for coverageThere’s some places now that are walk outs. Like down from Canyons lift to the base. Yesterday I heard you could ski it
Still, great spring day, a classic one. Snow was good in general. Pretty much can’t turn the bumps off after noon. Tmrw is last day of Bear Mt. if they don’t move stuff around, Snowdon might be toast after tmrw too.

CDCD4E3A-2053-4FBC-9CB3-6F8EE5CC7BA5.jpeg
Top of Superstar early. Before the big bumps.

4F0C04B5-AFCB-48B2-AA39-CC73F623D41B.jpeg
On the Superstar glacier. You can see all the cars in the Ramshead lot, and Vale lot below K-1.

A3377DF5-45B8-41EF-B663-7A084696FCCC.jpeg
Near top of last pitch on Superstar. K-1 lot was full. The big grayish building is the new lodge under wraps. I heard that it’s not going to be finished by next season?

F417D5D2-6B59-4E2C-A3BD-CFC937B7063C.jpeg
Gorgeous view from inside the top lodge. The tall mtn center right on horizon is Ascutney. Tragic it’s a failed ski area, it’s got pitch and a huge base area.

CFE56652-71A9-4733-9117-3F1FC8880F00.jpeg
Looking over at Superstar from the Snowdon lift. Lower Ovation to the right is toast. Upper was skiable, but we didn’t do it. There’s one of the moats in the foreground.

E2B2EC65-33A3-4424-A8A6-E3B966FAE745.jpeg
“Many moats to cross...”
Too many of these places, but it’s holding. I wish it would freeze at night, but it’s freakishly warm.

690F01C1-F259-438D-9A7B-8D3D9AF29F60.jpeg
Look what they’ve done to our trail. All bumped up on Superstar. About 5:30. Skiing open till 5pm today.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Killington today. Rain never came. Fewer people out, though maybe eating and drinking outside.
7A3AE701-0720-4F1B-9B31-05ABCF172777.jpeg
Last day for Bear Mt. Outerlimits^. Getting back down at 3pm was brutal. Killington mud skiers just go straight over the slop.

8B683736-AF31-420C-B0A4-5FD9DEA1D3CE.jpeg
Nice clouds early. Top of Superstar looking out the back.

1DE14006-6151-47C7-B321-7E4EE9F5B756.jpeg
Went plus 20cm and plus 35mm today with the Menace 186. Last week would’ve taken $200 for them w/o bindings, they had 3 runs on them. With the zero delta toe shims in they were fun. Electric air suspension. Bit of a plow tip but it’s a soft plow. Yellow bases = horrible. Maybe some fluoro slathering will help.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Well what IS the right wax for skiing 3 inches of water? :P
Water mostly only at the lifts. But I don’t think I’ve ever walked more over dirt patches. Hey, at least they kept it open. Those mud skiers might need nano titanium wax. They get back and go straight.
It’s generally not good to wedge in mud. You’re going to have a bad day. Saw a couple of those. Someone’s rentals took a beating.

Shucks. I was hoping for Killy the week of the 18th. Looks like there will be slim pickins.
Hope for cold nights. Preferably freezing. There’s snow, but it’s getting hammered by the sun and swallowed by the ground. I would think you’d at least have Skylark and that other one. Cascade is in good shape, but the entry to Canyons lift requires nightly resuscitation. East Fall we avoided after yesterdays hidden rocks. Not sure Snowdon can make it without plummeting temps.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Water mostly only at the lifts. But I don’t think I’ve ever walked more over dirt patches. Hey, at least they kept it open. Those mud skiers might need nano titanium wax. They get back and go straight.
It’s generally not good to wedge in mud. You’re going to have a bad day. Saw a couple of those. Someone’s rentals took a beating.

Hope for cold nights. Preferably freezing. There’s snow, but it’s getting hammered by the sun and swallowed by the ground. I would think you’d at least have Skylark and that other one. Cascade is in good shape, but the entry to Canyons lift requires nightly resuscitation. East Fall we avoided after yesterdays hidden rocks. Not sure Snowdon can make it without plummeting temps.
We did OL Saturday and there was some walking up top to get to the snow. Opted out yesterday. The Glades area is still in good shape-Rime, Reason, East Fall, and Superstar & Skylarke will be good for weeks. Plenty of pond skimming opportunities going through the lift maze. Great tailgating scene, especially Saturday in the hot sun. Must've been 60+ and sunny. Legs are toast.

James

Out There
Instructor
East Fall,
East Fall down to Canyons is dieing fast. Unless they push snow it’ll be only for expert mud skiers soon.

37F5A97E-DC60-431D-A5DE-64B2E5562F02.jpeg
Foggy half way up Superstar today. Top of the glacier was pretty bad at times.

E6D80083-7241-4F5E-BEE7-E3A1FD3D9BB7.jpeg
Cloud hung around and spritzed low down. Let’s just say the afternoon was not an improvement. Upper got windy with light rain.

They need an 8inch storm followed by a freeze to control the mud. That, or bring out those English snow substitute carpets to get to the lift.

CA1E8E35-5F08-45A7-9A25-FA05F38D21B1.jpeg
Cleaning off the dirt in puddle at the front of the lodge.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They need an 8inch storm followed by a freeze to control the mud. That, or bring out those English snow substitute carpets to get to the lift.
Years ago they spread a lot of straw over the mud near the lifts.

James

Out There
Instructor
Killington today.
Conditions made up for yesterday.

02A6C084-17DE-441F-8D49-40FA22063D36.jpeg
They mowed down the center. Left some pretty big seams and holes. Base was 48F at 9:30. Bottom of Superstar was colder and snow firm. Top was softer. We farmed the corn on SkyeLark and Bittersweet for several laps. Was hoping skiers would smooth out the seams.

2B714BAC-E89D-46FC-983C-7A328348E77B.jpeg
Early Superstar. Pre bump infestation. Though it’s the illusion of smooth. Not really high speed corn farming country except for those in sports jerseys, (Rangers, Bruins), and the under 23 set. Though they tend to plow one straight row only.

E4272512-32FF-4F7B-BA2A-82E9BEF25AAF.jpeg
Beautiful morning.
View off the top/back of Superstar lift. Way on the right is Stratton. Just left of that is Mt Snow. You could see a little of Jackson Gore at Okemo off frame to left.

D230FA0A-0520-42DE-8D17-55A57D5AEBE8.jpeg
Lower Superstar. This near noon. Really nice. Bumps still proto in middle. Could turn almost anywhere in middle. Well not in the holes. Fat skis are good for sideways grooming of seams and holes.

FE0CC8F5-E2F6-4B3E-BD64-D8E2DC2B0B1F.jpeg
Skier’s right relatively untouched and a soft, deep quicksand like trap.

5EA0AECB-BDF7-4030-B89A-CA0C2D87BEE8.jpeg
Mr. Tele. Super low down when skiing. Today, especially late, was like telepalooza. Never seen so many.

E17E10C7-A5EB-46BD-9179-5250C8DA6ACE.jpeg
Gone to lunch. Post lunch did gondi to Northridge. One needs a smooth cruiser post lunch coma. That wasn’t it. Thick, heavy, not enough pitch. Journeyed to Snowdon. Made a lap there. We dubbed it a sea of crap. Went back to Superstar/Skyelark. Order restored.

5B25800D-4CF6-4C50-947A-A9C4744A0948.jpeg
Top of the glacier. Well bottom of the top.

91EEEE89-7A64-4566-A575-EB6FFE7556F3.jpeg
Heading out. Done. Bit of a slack off, it’s only 3:45. Left the last run to those on bended knee.
Skis in water are like snow on porch furniture. Got some bubbles today. Sparing you the sea of mud and garbage photos. Truly horrible.

The glow is from the ridiculous yellow bases. Kidding. Wonder if I drilled holes and shot compressed air through could it improve?

Last edited:

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
You did it wrong James. Snowdon at first bell was sweet, with smooth freshly groomed surfaces. And Northridge was decent later in the morning. Once they get heavy, then it's time to hit the Superstar chair.

Weather predictions are for 6 to 18 inches of snow for central and southern VT Thursday night and Friday. Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online