• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2020/21 Northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
True. And they stopped selling the Express Card last month which gave you a 25% discount on weekends and 50% midweek.
I actually understand the K-ticket and Costco ticket, but I don't understand the removal of Express card.

Gee that's too bad. I usually get the Express Card and you could always in the past pick it up anytime.

Those day rate prices are quite a bit higher proportionally than their usual yearly bump. Anyone else thinking that's COVID related? If so we'll see how it plays out; they might have some deep discounts if no one shows up.
I don't have a problem if they need to adjust the price for COVID, but I seriously doubt the number of people who pay window rate will put a dent in the budget. I don't think they'll drop the price next year. To me, it's just a money grab and force people onto passes. This is a sign of bean counters running the business. A dollar now is worth more than future 2 dollar because balance sheet won't reflect the future.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No ones going to show up anyway because the travel restrictions make it unrealistic for most people. I’ve all but written off this season. K is my “home” mountain and I won’t be allowed to travel there. Maybe I’ll get a couple days at one of the NY hills if I’m lucky.

Look me up if you want to ski something in the Cats or Daks.

Reactions: Ogg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually understand the K-ticket and Costco ticket, but I don't understand the removal of Express card.

I don't have a problem if they need to adjust the price for COVID, but I seriously doubt the number of people who pay window rate will put a dent in the budget. I don't think they'll drop the price next year. To me, it's just a money grab and force people onto passes. This is a sign of bean counters running the business. A dollar now is worth more than future 2 dollar because balance sheet won't reflect the future.

I agree. My thing about the price increase is: it's still POWDR corp, that has owned it since 2007 ( same bean counters) , and yes they do increase prices every year, but only marginally. This increase seems out of the norm, so I'm left wondering if it's a COVID reduced capacity thing--attempting to offset a bad year. ??? Will they reduce prices next year--yeah, no; not likely.

I like to ski Killington, but it's not Vail/Aspen/Jackson Hole east. It's pretty dead most mid-weeks and only bat-sh!t-crazy some weekends.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Look me up if you want to ski something in the Cats or Daks.
I haven’t been to Whiteface in a long time and I’ve embarrassingly never been to Gore. Hunter used to be my day trip destination but I haven’t been there in ~5 years. The new terrain that added looks ok but I would have preferred developing Hunter west.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree. My thing about the price increase is: it's still POWDR corp, that has owned it since 2007 ( same bean counters) , and yes they do increase prices every year, but only marginally. This increase seems out of the norm, so I'm left wondering if it's a COVID reduced capacity thing--attempting to offset a bad year. ??? Will they reduce prices next year--yeah, no; not likely.

I like to ski Killington, but it's not Vail/Aspen/Jackson Hole east. It's pretty dead most mid-weeks and only bat-sh!t-crazy some weekends.
Didn’t they switch CEO in 2018? I’ll always have a soft spot for killington because I learned to ski there.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven’t been to Whiteface in a long time and I’ve embarrassingly never been to Gore. Hunter used to be my day trip destination but I haven’t been there in ~5 years. The new terrain that added looks ok but I would have preferred developing Hunter west.

Hunter North is really a waste of money and effort for the payback. My wife has a saying when something is meh -- "it's like kissing your sister" -- yeah it's a kiss, but who wants it. Peak corp. definitely should have spent that $$$$ on the west side. I can't believe that the Slutsky's were the only ones with enough balls to develop the west side. Both Peak and now Vail are so pansy a$$ about doing anything there; there is some serious terrain over there.

Gore is really nice when they get snow--lot's of glades. WF has the terrain, just need a good snow year.

Think Plattekill if we have a good snow year!!

Reactions: Ogg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Didn’t they switch CEO in 2018? I’ll always have a soft spot for killington because I learned to ski there.
Right. John Cumming stepped down in 2018.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good year to have cancelled the women's WC SL and GS races at Killington, it doesn't look like they would have been able to blow enough snow for Thanksgiving weekend.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's hard to make serious terrain have a return... intermediate terrain generally pays the bills more.
The problem is they didn’t get the intermediate terrain they paid for.

Exactly. Hunter North is too steep and icy for intermediates and too mellow and boring for advanced skiers.

The west side had a lift and 3 trails already cut. They could have spent far less than a third of the money they spent on the No go North and just improved the snow making on the west. And maybe have used the X trail on the west as a fourth, with snow making added. They also could of added trees to Westway making it two trails while getting the wind break they need to hold snow on it-- all this for far less than the folly on the North.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
North is a waste of money, but I don’t know what you can do to West? Snow making, more cut trail? I was told west is too windy for most days, so it’ll probably stay icy.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hey, Great Eastern is one of our favorite trail at Killington. :ogbiggrin:

We usually can squeeze in 3 runs on Great Eastern. After 3:30.
Hah! I think I've been yelled at by other skiers(aka moving gates) for being "out of control" more on that trail than anywhere else.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hah! I think I've been yelled at by other skiers(aka moving gates) for being "out of control" more on that trail than anywhere else.

We only skied that after 3:30 so it is very empty by then.
We found that if we ski really fast. We can out run the sound of their curses. Simple concept of skiing faster than the speed of sound. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Gee that's too bad. I usually get the Express Card and you could always in the past pick it up anytime.

Those day rate prices are quite a bit higher proportionally than their usual yearly bump. Anyone else thinking that's COVID related? If so we'll see how it plays out; they might have some deep discounts if no one shows up.
I also was surprised at them cutting off the Express Card sales on October 15. The K-tickets are usually only available for a short period in the fall, but the Express Card was available much longer. FWIW they are still making the Express Card available to condo owners in their rental program. No cutoff date.

I am sure the $35 jump in the weekend rate is COVID related. They still offer discounts for online booking in advance. I suspect that's where they will adjust the daily rate based on demand.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I also was surprised at them cutting off the Express Card sales on October 15. The K-tickets are usually only available for a short period in the fall, but the Express Card was available much longer. FWIW they are still making the Express Card available to condo owners in their rental program. No cutoff date.

I am sure the $35 jump in the weekend rate is COVID related. They still offer discounts for online booking in advance. I suspect that's where they will adjust the daily rate based on demand.
I usually buy K-tickets when they have the buy X and get 1 free, maybe black Friday or cyber Monday? Do you think they'll drop the price next season if COVID is largely a non-issue?

I really hope Killington or Powdr doesn't do ticket price based on demand like Airline does. It'll just screw everyone in the long run.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey, Great Eastern is one of our favorite trail at Killington. :ogbiggrin:

We usually can squeeze in 3 runs on Great Eastern. After 3:30.
Don't get me wrong, we'll do peak to valley runs without stopping just for fun, although not at high speed (yet), but mix in all our favorite blacks and blues. We're still working up to doubles and black mogul runs, but have made a lot of progress since making Killington our home away from home mountain...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't get me wrong, we'll do peak to valley runs without stopping just for fun, although not at high speed (yet), but mix in all our favorite blacks and blues. We're still working up to doubles and black mogul runs, but have made a lot of progress since making Killington our home away from home mountain...

Killington is a good hill. It was home for about 8 season before we transitioned to road tripping out west.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor