• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2020/21 Northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Debating trekking up to K. they claim 6" and possibility of up to 18".

James

Out There
Instructor
Debating trekking up to K. they claim 6" and possibility of up to 18".
Well they’re not lying about the 6. Likely it’ll take most of that to make up for all the wet yesterday. Twas not a mist.
Tmrw may be a mess with rain/snow.

C109EB29-BE62-42DD-B54F-ECAA1A95D0B3.jpeg
This morning. That’s like 5 on the handrail.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Magic did not get enough snowfall around the base of the Green Chair to re-open.
Who's left in VT for this weekend ? -- Kton, Mt Snow, Stowe, Sugarbush?

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Got a few runs in today at the old Glades area and a run down Snowden at Killington between 2:45 and 4:00. The reported 13" is accurate. It's not snowing as hard now but the mountain has been rejuvenated.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well the snow did come, despite temps at ground level not even freezing. I suppose on the mountain it was, especially higher up. Got there around 2pm. Did the K-1 lot mud fest lap, then scored a spot on the road. This is the time for the bro brah 36 inch mudder tires.

Report from someone walking down was SuperStar was “rock hard underneath”, and “just starting to get good” He recommended Snowdon. Ah, the dreaded crap fest all week is now transformed to some sort of powder paradise? Headed to Canyons. Snow is actually pretty dry. But there’s massive amounts of water to be absorbed in spots.
Places were actually knee deep. (Though not real skiable places, so don’t get excited)

0AFC6049-D723-4847-99AC-08DF65315CE4.jpeg
Going up Snowdon. No line really, but people are out. Gondi had a line.

07AE835C-E9FD-41B1-B4D4-40F5962BF3A5.jpeg
Yes, it really is powder. Slightly dense, but pretty light considering how warm it is.
Instrad of skiing the suv flopsters of the past six days, decided to take a different ski. Immediately regretted it, but this is what we do. Had I thought this through, switching skis for two hours max, not a great idea. But they were complaining on the wall.
Not the skis problem, but sudden ramp increase from a leveled Pivot to a stock Shift. Uuggh, high heels. Might not be so bad with a little warmup lap, but had to head for the double black of Escapade and it’s questionable base. It was bare all week. Because that’s just what we do, esp with less than two hours.

Canyons lift open, East Fall open. Did not ski, do not trust still. You can ski down below Canyons. Should be very good by tmrw, little rough in spots today crossing waterbars, but not walking needed. Flume was open too but looked pretty questionable.

D4AC3709-64AB-440B-B154-4391B1F62EFA.jpeg
I think this was Downdraft. If you turned in the right spots it was silent. In between is solid ice. Double Dipper was open too. Best not be squeamish with skis. By tmrw mid day I predict a core shot trap. (Probably EastFall too but I’m biased against it after last week)

84C415C1-AA8D-4512-8593-328E5052769D.jpeg
Launch Pad back to Superstar is pretty again. No black snow! Wait, am I gliding?? Yes, no yellow bases!! Nice. Almost worth the high heels.

Be prepared for the entire world to show up for their powder experience. Skiing should be good, but powder stashes will be secret and rare. Just remember that not only was everything bare, it was drenched on Thursday. Still, people were skiing Royal Flush, which I looked at all week and was 100% bare. I think it’s core shot city, but it’s skiable.

Upper Skye Lark now has some rails set up just at crossover from Superstar.

A70703B6-B3F1-471D-AFE1-7CBCE2A16A93.jpeg
Icing on the cake - no dirt walking. Ski to the car! Nice. Way better than K-1 lot.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
questionable base. It was bare all week. Because that’s just what we do, esp with less than two hours.
It's good to see that the Ministry of Bad Ideas was in Extraordinary Session.

Royal Flush, which I looked at all week and was 100% bare. I think it’s core shot city
Royal Flush was the first place I ever had a core shot. <nostalgic sniffle>

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Loaf is skiing very well today. What you can see of it. The coffee and donuts are also excellent (and necessary, since the snow requires some muscle).
20210417_115604-01.jpeg 20210417_141233-01.jpeg

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got out this morning from 8 to 10:30 at Killington. First Saturday I made some turns in over 10 years. Visibility an issue with low clouds covering most of the mountain. The crowds arrived and the liftlines built after 10, so I made one last run and headed back to the condo. Lots were full and cars parked on the access road almost down to the Vale lot entrance.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Ski partner had vax #1 Friday so we arrived at K pretty late. I am simply unable to ski chopped up 12” heavy stuff without any visibility, so some of the mountain was a rough go. But on the trails that had been groomed and later sported about 5”, it was heaven. I’m mostly new to powder, and I was surprised at the whoops coming from my mouth during the bouncy ride!

Going back Monday.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Got out this morning from 8 to 10:30 at Killington. First Saturday I made some turns in over 10 years. Visibility an issue with low clouds covering most of the mountain. The crowds arrived and the liftlines built after 10, so I made one last run and headed back to the condo. Lots were full and cars parked on the access road almost down to the Vale lot entrance.

I got out at 8:30. Gave up because of the lines (and I'm recovering from a broken knee) at around 11:15. Parking was insane when we left with every lot overflowing. I heard they sold out of day ticket sales. Lift lines at the Snowdon 6, North Ridge & Superstar (didn't attempt the K1) were all way longer than the usual Saturday. But....what I got today was very good. Tried to stay out of the bumps because of the knee but the surface is much improved with all the new snow. Hopefully tomorrow will be less crowded.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
How did the snowpack at Killington hold up with the skier traffic? I saw some pictures on Facebook that made it look pretty dismal.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski partner had vax #1 Friday so we arrived at K pretty late. I am simply unable to ski chopped up 12” heavy stuff without any visibility, so some of the mountain was a rough go. But on the trails that had been groomed and later sported about 5”, it was heaven. I’m mostly new to powder, and I was surprised at the whoops coming from my mouth during the bouncy ride!

Going back Monday.
If the snow was like what the Loaf got - it probably was - that wasn't powder. It was soft, it was fun, but it was hard work. Crud. Mixed with shrubbery. Over ice. Kind of like a bloody Mary, come to think of it.

The advantage I had was that crowds were very light, so it didn't get too skied off.

Status
Not open for further replies.