• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2020/21 Northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't get me wrong, we'll do peak to valley runs without stopping just for fun, although not at high speed (yet), but mix in all our favorite blacks and blues. We're still working up to doubles and black mogul runs, but have made a lot of progress since making Killington our home away from home mountain...

I havent spent a lot of time there but its a great mountain and the party atmosphere is fun except for the girls who offered my 13 year old weed haha.

There are some fun woods runs on that side too. We had a friend who grew up there a lot of people meet at ramshead and then disperse. They were blowing snow all day on superstar and the trail was empty i think that is where i went the fastest last season.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Exactly. Hunter North is too steep and icy for intermediates and too mellow and boring for advanced skiers.

Yes, but it adds more trails to spread out the weekend crowds at Hunter. Hunter still lacks blue terrain, but Hunter is still better with the North pod than it would be without the North pod.

The west side had a lift and 3 trails already cut. They could have spent far less than a third of the money they spent on the No go North and just improved the snow making on the west. And maybe have used the X trail on the west as a fourth, with snow making added. They also could of added trees to Westway making it two trails while getting the wind break they need to hold snow on it-- all this for far less than the folly on the North.
North was created to have another access point into Hunter - parking and potentially a lodge. North also faces due north so it could remain open later in the spring (like Superstar at Killington) and Hunter would not need to maintain snow on the main face (which faces east and southeast) and open up the main base area.

I do not think Hunter owns enough land at the base of West to create a base area with parking.

As for the X-trail, it was illegally cut in the early 1980s and some of it went outside the land the Slutzky family owned into NYS land. The drainage just west of the X cut is NYS land and the Sutzkys were actively try to trade other land they owned in the area for that drainage. The skiing is great in there. Because of the way the Slutzkys cut the trail before the deal, NYS will probably never let Hunter expand up the X trail. Maybe the new owners will be able to convince NYS to change about using the X.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
On the subject of Catskills, what's going on with the Highmount expansion? Looks like interesting terrains and justify the cost of the Gondola.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the subject of Catskills, what's going on with the Highmount expansion? Looks like interesting terrains and justify the cost of the Gondola.

Yeah, would love to see that too. State is broke and getting more so due to COVID...so, who knows.

zag

Putting on skis
Skier
They handle that around here (Massanutten, Whitetail, Roundtop, Liberty at least) by selling a 4 hour pass (in addition to the 8 hour and full day tickets)

Whitetail, Roundtop and Liberty stopped selling anything other than all day and night only tickets after the recent purchase by Peak, then Vail. 4 & 8 hours passes no longer exist and with Vail ownership, seemingly unlikely to be revived.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Belleayre is making snow! I think they are shooting for thanksgiving weekend?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I received an email from Hunter Mt. today and they are forecasting an opening date of November 20, 2020 I wish them luck on meeting that date.
Received another email from Hunter and NEW opening date is 25 November 2020.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Exactly. Hunter North is too steep and icy for intermediates and too mellow and boring for advanced skiers.
I have skied the new trails on the North and they are not that steep. Although they are the only trails I have seen double marked with a large Blue Square and with a Black Diamond in the center of the Blue Square. It maybe to try and keep some novice skiers off the trail when it isn't in good shape. Because to get to the North you take Belt Parkway and that is the intermediate trail that wraps around the mountain from the top all the way down to the base. I understand why you might think they are boring because they are a bit bland. But they are not terrible I have enjoyed them, maybe because they are new.

Clemson

Putting on skis
Skier
It doesn't look like Wildcat will be open by next weekend, so though my pass does not include Sunday River, I may have to go for it. I just put my new lens in a spare set of goggles today, and the rest of my kit is ready to head out.

Seahaven

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Okemo, Stowe, and Snow are supposed to open on Wednesday, but it looks like it is pouring on all three right now. 1 step forward, two steps back this season.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It doesn't look like Wildcat will be open by next weekend, so though my pass does not include Sunday River, I may have to go for it. I just put my new lens in a spare set of goggles today, and the rest of my kit is ready to head out.

I think you will need a buddy to give you a buddy pass to ski sr this weekend.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Typical for this time of year in the Northeast. I got a couple of mornings in, I'm glad I did. Now it's time to wait again.

Jeffdag

Putting on skis
Skier
Massachusetts Travel Restrictions: New Hampshire, Maine Removed From List Of Exempt States

So, what happens now? Massachusetts imposed non essential travel restrictions between MA, NH and Maine. Vermont won't let anyone in (without a test), so it looks like everyone is supposed to stay in their home state to ski this winter. As of now day trips, or going away for weekend is verbotten, and can come with $500 per day fine when you return to MA if you don't quarantine, or get tested. This pretty much blocks most members of race clubs from participating in VT,NH and Maine for the season, not to mention all the passholders and second home owners.

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
I am beginning to question how an area like Wachusett and others can survive without cross border travel....and ski clubs, race teams. Yikes, hope small and midsize areas have cash reserves.

What a Shxx show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor