• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2020/21 Northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today was probably one of the best ski days I've had this year. Yes, it started out refrozen, and the lack of coverage has my race skis retreating to the tuning room until next year, but between the late-groomed stuff that softened almost right away and the other stuff that softened as the sun hit it, it turned into some pretty darn good spring skiing.

The magic (and missing) ingredient was lift lines. Aside from the 11:00 a.m. timeframe at Barker, I didn't see a meaningful liftline all day. We skied onto Jordan for multiple laps, which is the first time that's happened this year; I actually went back out after coaching and grabbed a couple more runs of glorious spring bumps, with a bit of moss and grass thrown in for good measure (the small "walking required" disc wasn't kidding—I would've needed a pair of well-thrashed silly-season skis to be comfortable sending what was left in the largest gap on Top Gun—but I was able to side-step across it and did not have to give in and remove skis). A lot of trails have areas of thin or missing coverage, but the vast majority of the snowmaking trails still have pretty good width and depth for skiing purposes (as long as you pretend it's mid-April and not the end of March).

I'll be crossing my fingers that tomorrow's weather doesn't wallop what's left too badly.
Sat was obviously the better day but we still skied for 3 hours today until soaking wet..

Great intro to Top Gun. I wanted to ski the moss but my kid and i sidestepped and he beat me down as usual.

But the big story today was the lady who took the ski bike down top gun. I saw her from the lift and figured i had to check it out as she passed the "walking required and thin cover signs." I got a bit ahead of her and stopped to watch and she actually caught up pretty fast.

Then i suggested she sidestep the moss so she slipped on her mini skis while holding the bike and slid sideways down the mossy rock in pouring rain with ski bike. She was ok I should have helped her but i was already down and didn't want to be weird.

That is one tough lady.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sat was obviously the better day but we still skied for 3 hours today until soaking wet..

Great intro to Top Gun. I wanted to ski the moss but my kid and i sidestepped and he beat me down as usual.

But the big story today was the lady who took the ski bike down top gun. I saw her from the lift and figured i had to check it out as she passed the "walking required and thin cover signs." I got a bit ahead of her and stopped to watch and she actually caught up pretty fast.

Then i suggested she sidestep the moss so she slipped on her mini skis while holding the bike and slid sideways down the mossy rock in pouring rain with ski bike. She was ok I should have helped her but i was already down and didn't want to be weird.

That is one tough lady.
She is probably thinking, "I should have stopped to help that poor guy and his kid standing by the side of the trail."

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
She is probably thinking, "I should have stopped to help that poor guy and his kid standing by the side of the trail."
Na i wasn't in top form this weekend but everything is easy by day 25.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cannon today: Stayed low at opening-high winds and lots of bare spots. Front 5 weren't bad although the entrance to Avalanche was mostly dirt. Went up top and snow was decent, but visibility was not. Stopped for lunch and noticed lifts were all closed. We were ready to leave and someone said that the Zoomer chair was still open. We went back out and did 5 runs in sideways rain and wind the called it a day.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Closed down Bromley last saturday. Magic was a blast too I heard. We head to Killington this saturday. Another vote for fatties in spring snow. My coalition sos skis are 105 underfoot and are spring snow slayers.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Cannon was pretty decent today. apparently Profile gets very little sun. It was shiny this morning and stayed that way all day. Shiny but cold and reasonably grippy. Lower trails like Gary's and Zoomer were pretty well covered and much, much softer. The windy trail under the tram was good. Some of the connector trails were pretty iffy. Definitely have to keep on you toes it is the granite state after all.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cannon was pretty decent today.
Sorry we didn't know you were there-we were there too and would have been nice to say hi. Bluebird skies and Cannon did a great job of moving snow around after Sunday's rain. Front 5 were great-soft and very edgeable-just watch out for the bare spots!

Nice end to our brief NH ski trip (and sad to say our big trip of the year). Back next year-there is something about Cannon that is special ( and we have free accommodations).

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Sorry we didn't know you were there-we were there too and would have been nice to say hi. Bluebird skies and Cannon did a great job of moving snow around after Sunday's rain. Front 5 were great-soft and very edgeable-just watch out for the bare spots!

Nice end to our brief NH ski trip (and sad to say our big trip of the year). Back next year-there is something about Cannon that is special ( and we have free accommodations).

Woulda been fun. I was one of the nerds doing PSIA stuff.

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
Anyone heard anything about a new lift at Butternut? Sounds like they have a used triple from Windham on site.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anyone at Stowe? I heard Jay Peak got 12" and it's not even windy. I know, sounds like an April fool's report.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Anyone at Stowe? I heard Jay Peak got 12" and it's not even windy. I know, sounds like an April fool's report.

Stowe's snow report is saying 4-5" yesterday. Mountain is only half-open by the trail count; looks like all the natural snow terrain remains closed.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Yeah it's -13c at the cottage this morning. Snowed here in Toronto yesterday a very little bit. Continuing my long held gospel that it always snows in April! :ogbiggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online