• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Atomic Redster S9

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Drahtguy Kevin: Click in and hang on. This ski exudes power and speed. At 68mm underfoot and a 13.3m radius, the ride is quick but stable. And sublime. I found the ski to flex superbly; turn initiation was a snap. I could lean on the S9 durning the turn and feel the energy build -- absolutely exhilarating. Lighter skiers may get overpowered. This ski is on my “buy it” radar.

Insider tip: Pay attention, as the S9 will push back.​

FairToMiddlin: This was probably the strongest ski I tested. With a 68mm waist and a 13.3m radius, and that much power, it has one trick: laying trenches, early and often. It might have the most even flex of any ~13m ski I have been on. Super smooth, regardless of the turn size you dial in. It doesn’t bite at you, or throw you off as you tighten the turn; it just obeys your command and holds. And holds. The S9 dares you to lay it over, inviting you to see how long your legs can handle putting maximum effort into each turn. What an exciting ski!

This personality is a blast, even as it wears you down. While not in the same category, two other skis I have been on that encourage you to shorten your day by giving it your all are the Völkl RTM 86 UVO and the original Kästle MX98. It isn’t a bad thing, but it’s good to know before you plop down the money for it. @Drahtguy Kevin is a bigger fellow, and he didn’t have to put quite so many calories into bending it.

Insider tip: Start your wall sits now.​

Philpug: I love it when a plan comes together. Atomic’s new consumer race skis, starting with the S9, are simply stellar. The S9 on hard snow is just a scalpel, a precise instrument that makes a magnificent tight turn when put up on edge. Sure, you can say that about almost every ski in this class, but the Atomic just feels different, more attached to the snow, yet it can be released into a brushed carve when asked to.

Insider tip: Please, please, please keep a proper .5°/3° tune on these, they deserve it.​

Ron: Superb ski, winner of my “Favorite Ski of the Test” award. The S9 is a carve machine, supremely stable, quiet, smooth, precise, energetic, and (fill in the blank with any other term befitting this Ferrari of skis). But here’s the catch: although it is 68 underfoot, it didn’t want to just turn. You could vary the turn shape and even ski it slowly (although you won’t want to). Yes, it's powerful; yes, it's demanding; yes, it's got a tail that will spank you if it finds out you aren’t worthy (I got caught behind going over a roller and had to scramble to recover).

I want this ski.

Insider tip: If it's too much ski, try the X7.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Strong skiers who can bend a ski. Type A personalities who like to turn, and with authority. Fit and enthusiastic frontside skiers.
Who is it not for?
Lightweight couch potatoes; this ski rewards skill, or strength, or (preferably) both. Again, technically weak skiers.
Skier ability
  1. Expert
Ski category
  1. Race
  2. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad