• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Atomic Redster X9 WB

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Andy Mink: Do you need just a little more width from your carving ski? That’s what the “WB” stands for: X9 Wide Body. With a few more millimeters under foot and throughout the ski, you get more versatility but lose very little in the way of carving capability. I skied this one in a 168 and had an absolute blast making short radius turns. I would, however, chose the next length up if I were to use this as a daily driver. The 168 was a little nervous at speed with 225 lb on it. At 13.5 m, you can make a lot of turns in a short distance.

If you do like a shorter ski for running bumps, this one may be your ticket. It was an absolute blast in tighter, soft bumps. Light and quick, it inspires confidence that not a lot of skis can. With a little more length for my size it would also handle some shallow powder on groomers with ease.

Insider tip: This skis full length. Don’t cheat yourself on stability by going too short; it’ll still turn on a dime.​

FairToMiddlin: It’s possible that Atomic tried last year’s Nordica Spitfire RB and decided that a good old-fashioned arms race was in order for 2020. The WB (Wide Body) has the strength of the skinny X9 but a broader palate for going off the groomed path. Stronger than the Blossom White Out and Head iRally, it is not a poppy, accommodating carver. Atomic wants you to pay attention, from start to finish. Turn initiation is pretty automatic, but the usual flexing of a recreational carver on its way to the belly of the turn is not there. Instead, the WB is looking for you to precisely orient your weight over the outside ski, while driving hard with the rest of you. Success leads to a massive sensation of G; failure results in a bit of an Austrian frown, followed by however you say “That ain’t it” in German.

Drahtguy Kevin: The WB is the portly sibling to the X9 and provides many of the same attributes and sensations in a wider, more versatile platform. The extra 10 mm underfoot ups the stability of this ski. Riders beware: getting lazy has the same consequences on the WB as it does the other X9. I prefer the WB model for the increased versatility provided by the thicker waist.

Insider tip: Increased versatility ups the fun.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Those who want a ripping carver but also like to explore some mellower, off-piste snow. Fairly serious carvers who still want to dip into the off piste.
Who is it not for?
Casual carvers looking for a playful 70-something. Skiers accustomed to rocker and a slow tip engagement.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Race
  2. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
152, 160, 168, 176
Dimensions
125.5-75-109.5
Radius
14.2m@176cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. System

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Conley

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Debating weather to get 160 or 168cm in the Atomic Redster X9 WB. I have been skiing the older Atomic metron b5 and M11's, both in 162, for the last 10-12years. Loved the b5's so much I have owned several pairs. Skied the M11's last year as they are physically lighter and easier to carry from car to lift. Arthritis is shoulders. Want the new ski to have the same tenacious grip on hard pack and ice, yet still okay in shallow powder and bumps. ME= 71 years young, in good shape. 5'6" 158lbs. Life long skier and level 11 psia instructor. (still improving my technique following level 3 guys). Love to free ski fast on fresh corduroy, making perfect RR tracks. Ski powder too when in comes to our wet ave. snow in the PNW. Have any of your lighter testers tried the X9 WB in 160 and/or 168?? Thoughts? If the 160 skied as quick and solid as my metron B5's in 162cm Id be happy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Debating weather to get 160 or 168cm in the Atomic Redster X9 WB. I have been skiing the older Atomic metron b5 and M11's, both in 162, for the last 10-12years. Loved the b5's so much I have owned several pairs. Skied the M11's last year as they are physically lighter and easier to carry from car to lift. Arthritis is shoulders. Want the new ski to have the same tenacious grip on hard pack and ice, yet still okay in shallow powder and bumps. ME= 71 years young, in good shape. 5'6" 158lbs. Life long skier and level 11 psia instructor. (still improving my technique following level 3 guys). Love to free ski fast on fresh corduroy, making perfect RR tracks. Ski powder too when in comes to our wet ave. snow in the PNW. Have any of your lighter testers tried the X9 WB in 160 and/or 168?? Thoughts? If the 160 skied as quick and solid as my metron B5's in 162cm Id be happy.
The X9 WB is a ski that you could ski in either size depending what you want to get out of the ski. If you want that quick turn that your B5 (and M11) offered, the 160, stability and long turn the 168. Having owned an M11 and skied the X9 WB in both 168 and 176, I think the 160 is what you are looking for.

dermooser

Skier
@Philpug I'm considering this ski for hard snow/frontside days and for the times when I'm skiing with my wife and I need to make slower/tighter turns than my 187 Bones like to. I had it down to the X9 WB, X9 S and Head Supershape i-Speed, but it seems like the X9 WB is the best in-between ski for those two uses. I raced for 5+ years and still ski a pretty fast/aggressive style, but need to be able to dial it down a notch speed-wise occasionally. First: so the X9 WB fit the bill for this type of use case? and Second (if so): do you recommend the 168 or 176? For additional consideration I weight about 195... and yeah, I'd try them if I could, but there are none available to demo at this point. Thanks!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug I'm considering this ski for hard snow/frontside days and for the times when I'm skiing with my wife and I need to make slower/tighter turns than my 187 Bones like to. I had it down to the X9 WB, X9 S and Head Supershape i-Speed, but it seems like the X9 WB is the best in-between ski for those two uses. I raced for 5+ years and still ski a pretty fast/aggressive style, but need to be able to dial it down a notch speed-wise occasionally. First: so the X9 WB fit the bill for this type of use case? and Second (if so): do you recommend the 168 or 176? For additional consideration I weight about 195... and yeah, I'd try them if I could, but there are none available to demo at this point. Thanks!!
I think you are on the right track with the WB. As far as length, I would say the 176 for yoru weight.

dermooser

Skier
Thanks for the quick reply @Philpug! Do you think it's worth an extra $300 for the 2021's with GW bindings or just stick with normal bindings on the 2020 model? I'm updating my boots as well and it looks like any of the models I could choose will have the option of GW or standard soles... just not sure it's worth the extra $ to allow for using GW boots across all of my skis or continue to stick with the standard soles...

dermooser

Skier
@Philpug I just read your review of the S9 and that intrigues me as well (I can get that ski in 171 with the older non-GW binding as well). For hard pack it sounds like an amazing ski and can also be skied at slower speeds (although prefers to be driven fast). How does it fair when the slopes get soft like they can in the PNW? Not talking crud, but softer piste that may have been corduroy in the AM and pushed out snow in afternoon. Or do you still think the X9WB is going to give me an almost S9 carving experience on hard pack, but will hold up better in softer conditions? Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Thanks for the quick reply @Philpug! Do you think it's worth an extra $300 for the 2021's with GW bindings or just stick with normal bindings on the 2020 model? I'm updating my boots as well and it looks like any of the models I could choose will have the option of GW or standard soles... just not sure it's worth the extra $ to allow for using GW boots across all of my skis or continue to stick with the standard soles...
If you plan on skiing any of your existing skis that don't have GW bindings with your new boots, you had best get the non-GW new boots that can be updated later to GW.
Just Say'n.

Sponsor