• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Had a chance to speak to the Atomic guys at a trade show and asked how sales were. The laughed, looked at their shoes and said, 'ok in rental' but it's fair to say they would have preferred to have them in a box under a table.

I suspect the Nordica HF might have a chance as it looks as if they ve actually thought about it. The Savour looks as if they found an old design and hoped that everyone had forgotten that they used to look like that.

I was told that the the Savour 'series' was something of a vanity project pushed by someone close to the Atomic food chain and rushed because of rumours of Salomon re issuing an SX type model.
I swung and missed on this one...so did Atomic. There is a saying, the early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese, Nordica is the second mouse in this scenario.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I swung and missed on this one...so did Atomic. There is a saying, the early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese, Nordica is the second mouse in this scenario.
Is Atomic doing their own boots or are they partnering with another boot company and does anyone think of them as a top tear boot brand?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is Atomic doing their own boots or are they partnering with another boot company and does anyone think of them as a top tear boot brand?
Go to any race day and start counting red boots and then ask that question. ;)

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier

Plus one on Phil's comment, the Hawx series is also [reputedly] the best selling boot series in the world.

I suspect that they are sharing production with sister brand Salomon, at least on factory, though not on boot designs as far as I can see

Uncle-A

Skier
Plus one on Phil's comment, the Hawx series is also [reputedly] the best selling boot series in the world.

I suspect that they are sharing production with sister brand Salomon, at least on factory, though not on boot designs as far as I can see
I have been out of ski retail for many years and I do not attend WC Races so I would not see the amount of red boots at races. It just seems that the members here don't talk about Atomic boots that much, only this rear entry boot seems to have generated the most talk about Atomic boots. Thanks @skipress for sharing that the "sister brand is Salomon" that was the part of my post that I was primarily looking for, my perception of them not being a top tear boot was based on not reading much about them in this community. Maybe my focus on this community is too limited and should expand my ski horizons.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have been out of ski retail for many years and I do not attend WC Races so I would not see the amount of red boots at races. It just seems that the members here don't talk about Atomic boots that much, only this rear entry boot seems to have generated the most talk about Atomic boots. Thanks @skipress for sharing that the "sister brand is Salomon" that was the part of my post that I was primarily looking for, my perception of them not being a top tear boot was based on not reading much about them in this community. Maybe my focus on this community is too limited and should expand my ski horizons.

Currently my alpine boots are Atomic Hawx Ultra 130S. Awesome boots. Lightweight but sturdy and the fit is just superb. I also owned the XTD 120's which were also superb. Atomic / Salomon are making some of the best boots in the industry right now.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier

They [and a lot of other things] are owned by Amer Sports https://www.amersports.com/brands/ .

Amer was Finnish but the company was sold to Anta, a Chinese company in spring of last year https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d3d774d79516a4d33457a6333566d54/index.html

There s a fair bit of crossover [re branding] on bindings and skis but oddly way less so in boots.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
Currently my alpine boots are Atomic Hawx Ultra 130S. Awesome boots. Lightweight but sturdy and the fit is just superb. I also owned the XTD 120's which were also superb. Atomic / Salomon are making some of the best boots in the industry right now.
Thanks, that's one.

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Ok.. I'm waiting for the Salomon "re-imagined" SX70/80/90's.
sk_salomonSX90-1982.JPG

krikkit

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
In the late 80s early 90s - when @mdf's boots were new :P - Salomon used their own sizing system based on the heel-instep perimeter.

When rear entry boots went away there was absolutely no reason to continue using it.

Can you remember how this system translated to "regular" shoe sizes? I seem to remember that Salomon sizes ending in 5 were narrow and 0 were wide, or perhaps it was the other way around.

The reason for my question is the same reason that brought me to this forum - I miss my old Salomons and is looking at finding a new used pair which is not impossible but I need to figure out (again) what my "Salomon size" is unless I want to buy "blind".

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you remember how this system translated to "regular" shoe sizes? I seem to remember that Salomon sizes ending in 5 were narrow and 0 were wide, or perhaps it was the other way around.

The 0/5 distinction is a bit like the half-sizes in modern boots. The 0 and 5 shells were the same, and there was supposedly some liner difference.

My feet are 258 mm long (heel against wall to end of toe) and 100 mm wide (wide toes), "normal" height instep, and my boots are 345.

But they could probably stand to be a little smaller -- I usually have the heel-hold-down cable very near the end of its adjustment range. But then again, I'm sure my liners are pretty packed out.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The reason for my question is the same reason that brought me to this forum - I miss my old Salomons and is looking at finding a new used pair which is not impossible but I need to figure out (again) what my "Salomon size" is unless I want to buy "blind".

Sure, get a helper. Have the helper take a measuring tape and run it in a loop around the widest part of your heel across to where the foot joins the leg. You want to be standing upright and not flexing forward - flexing forward enlarges the measurement - so a helper is pretty much required.

A long time ago we used to have tables like the one I link to below - BUT - don't be surprised if you go under or over depending on the instep volume. Salomon's sizing system was never intended to map directly to foot lengths. I have a longer and wider foot than @mdf - but I only measure out to 335 in HIP.

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 9.47.16 AM.png

Last edited:

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sure, get a helper. Have the helper take a measuring tape and run it in a loop around the widest part of your heel across to where the foot joins the leg. You want to be standing upright and not flexing forward - flexing forward enlarges the measurement - so a helper is pretty much required.

A long time ago we used to have tables like the one I link to below - BUT - don't be surprised if you go under or over depending on the instep volume. Salomon's sizing system was never intended to map directly to foot lengths. I have a longer and wider foot than @mdf - but I only measure out to 335 in HIP.

View attachment 95778
That's right, initial HIP sizer only did width and instep cable, though there was a later iteration which did factor in foot length. Mens' sizes ran from 320-360 and womens' 290-325.

It had the [I suspect intended] benefit of producing at least 1 shell size fewer than mondo for a shell range [and mondo tends to do the same over imperial] - a mondo run for men would usually be, or the time have been 25-30, so 6 clog sizes, HIP covers this in 5. In fact I recall the 350 and 360 SX90 shells being the same so it may have been 2 sizes fewer.

They did a similar thing with the PR [power reference] system for skis which produced fewer lengths for a size run and in fact tended to cluster skiers into a smaller number of sizes [so retailers had less risk of being caught with outlier sizes once they realised most guys would be PR7 or 8].

fiji1985

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I just purchased a pair of Savor 100 online. Can anyone tell me how to remove the boot liner. I contacted Atomic and they said rotate the key on the rear inside of the boot which I did, however the liner is riveted to the shell on both of the upper sides. I have had several people look at it with no luck and I don't want to rip the liner. Any thoughts?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just purchased a pair of Savor 100 online. Can anyone tell me how to remove the boot liner. I contacted Atomic and they said rotate the key on the rear inside of the boot which I did, however the liner is riveted to the shell on both of the upper sides. I have had several people look at it with no luck and I don't want to rip the liner. Any thoughts?
Paging @onenerdykid to the SkiTalk Courtesy Phone

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had Tecnica Viva Demon 100 2012 with air shell. Bought NOS because price was right and fit seemed very good out of the box, BUT I tended to over pump and then have numb toes. Then I'd pump at the top and vent at the bottom of runs. Seems easier then buckle/release, but not really. Then the pumps and valves stopped working (after skiing only 50ish days over 5ish seasons) so for another 20-30 days I skied them by upgrading footbed and buckling tight. Ultimately, I got rid of them and was refitted to Tecnica 2023 Mach1 105 MV, same mondo size. Much better performance and no numb toes. Conclusion: general advances in boot design and material outweigh any advantage conferred by working air bladder. Non-working bladders reduce performance.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I had Tecnica Viva Demon 100 2012 with air shell. Bought NOS because price was right and fit seemed very good out of the box, BUT I tended to over pump and then have numb toes. Then I'd pump at the top and vent at the bottom of runs. Seems easier then buckle/release, but not really. Then the pumps and valves stopped working (after skiing only 50ish days over 5ish seasons) so for another 20-30 days I skied them by upgrading footbed and buckling tight. Ultimately, I got rid of them and was refitted to Tecnica 2023 Mach1 105 MV, same mondo size. Much better performance and no numb toes.

Don't forget that the context here is rear entry boots. Both of your examples are overlap-buckled. With rear entry boots you've got a choice: cable tensioning with instep pad, screw adjustment of an instep pad...or an air bladder.

Conclusion: general advances in boot design and material outweigh any advantage conferred by working air bladder.

Advances in boot design and material are great but - they can't do the bladder/cable/screw's job in a boot with fixed dimensions across the foot.

Non-working bladders reduce performance.

True in general :)

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't forget that the context here is rear entry boots. Both of your examples are overlap-buckled. With rear entry boots you've got a choice: cable tensioning with instep pad, screw adjustment of an instep pad...or an air bladder.

Advances in boot design and material are great but - they can't do the bladder/cable/screw's job in a boot with fixed dimensions across the foot.

True in general :)
Ha Ha! Wasn’t joking, but so true, so true!

Sponsor