• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Augment All Mountain 88

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ron: Move over, Stöckli -- yep, I said it! The brand formerly known as Croc is now Augment, but its skis are still made in Austria. This a skier's ski: superb, exacting, precise, and highly refined. Racers, instructors, and technique geeks will love it. The 88 demands your attention and skills but rewards those skills with a thrilling ride that challenges you to find a speed limit or carve too tight of a turn. Augment offers its skis in differing levels of stiffness. I could go on praising the brand, but just go demo one. This ski gets my "I Could Own It" award.

Insider tip: Check with your dealer about which level of stiffness is best for you.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Me! Also, racers, instructors, technique geeks, and other advanced skiers who appreciate the craftsmanship and performance this ski can deliver.
Who is it not for?
Unless you have skills, this ski probably won't thrill you.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
171, 179, 187
Dimensions
126.5-88-112.5
Radius
21m@179cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System

Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just skied the AM88 for a day at Snowmass and to use a descriptor that @Drahtguy Kevin frequently uses for a ski he likes, "sublime". The finish of this ski out of the box is stellar and the edges feel like excellerators when you go from one to the next. The pair that I was on were the 179cm and they ski all of that...even in a 10 flex which Augment bills as "flimsy" on their scale. Flimsy? HAH! The 1 flex is called "cement", I cannot see anyone who is not a ex World Cup racer to truly being able to get most out of that ski. The 10 flex is akin to other skis in the segment like a Brahma and is stiffer that one of the reference skis, the Stockli Stormrider 88. As I said in another one of the Augment reviews referencing them using the word flimsy, "You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means"

The AM88 is the Porsche Panamera of the segment, long legged and wants to run at mach speed with utter smoothness. This is not a ski for everyone and only those with the skills should apply. Otherwise, the AM88 will have you acting like Wayne and Garth and saying "I'm not worthy" but...for those of you..and us who fancy themselves as a pretty good skier, they are definately worth the price of admission. @KingGrump, I know you liked the SL's...I think you will really like these.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
So what is the deal with Augment, are they in shops or direct to consumer? Where does one try a pair?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
What are you doing up at this hour? I guess Outdoor Retailer must be your Christmas Day, just can't wait to unwrap your presents.

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer
Will they be at WWSRA? ;)

@AmyPJ we will be at Mission Ridge, Winter Park, Snowbasin, and Mammoth this year. Please come on by and try some skis out. The 88s will be available in 163, 171, 179, and 187cm.

@Erik Timmerman we are working to open retail locations and we expect that it will pick up speed soon. We just announced two new locations; one in NY and one in Quebec. We may have to maintain a direct to consumer approach due to our size but our focus is on retailers primarily.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ we will be at Mission Ridge, Winter Park, Snowbasin, and Mammoth this year. Please come on by and try some skis out. The 88s will be available in 163, 171, 179, and 187cm.

@Erik Timmerman we are working to open retail locations and we expect that it will pick up speed soon. We just announced two new locations; one in NY and one in Quebec. We may have to maintain a direct to consumer approach due to our size but our focus is on retailers primarily.
I will see you at Snowbasin! A 163 sounds like just what I need :ogbiggrin:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
21m for the 179 - lotta slidin? What about metal? It sounds like a supple ski with just a little Titanal. I would like to try this.

James

Out There
Instructor
21m in a 180size is a nice radius. (Rossi Masters is that) There are a lot of other factors that determine how they ski. I have a 192/26m ski that’s a lot of fun in short turns because of the soft tip.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am so accustomed to being locked in by the radius. I am wondering about its performance in east coast woods. I bet they could hold their own in bumps.

James

Out There
Instructor
The 10 flex is akin to other skis in the segment like a Brahma and is stiffer that one of the reference skis, the Stockli Stormrider 88. As I said in another one of the Augment reviews referencing them using the word flimsy, "You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means"
Yikes! So, I don’t see going below 8 on the flex scale. What would Daron ski?

You sure 21m isn’t the sidecut of the 187cm?
The Brahma 88 has 127, 88, 111 and is listed as 17m in 180.
Augment is 126.5, 88, 112 and 21m at 179cm?

I am so accustomed to being locked in by the radius. I am wondering about its performance in east coast woods. I bet they could hold their own in bumps.
Bust out of the lots of sidecut realm! As long as the base is flat and no hanging burrs, skis with much less sidecut are fun.

As to the woods- with full camber, I see this as more of a Euro all mountain ski. A technical ski with some width for versatility in 3-d snow.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yikes! So, I don’t see going below 8 on the flex scale. What would Daron ski?

You sure 21m isn’t the sidecut of the 187cm?
The Brahma 88 has 127, 88, 111 and is listed as 17m in 180.
Augment is 126.5, 88, 112 and 21m at 179cm?

Bust out of the lots of sidecut realm! As long as the base is flat and no hanging burrs, skis with much less sidecut are fun.

As to the woods- with full camber, I see this as more of a Euro all mountain ski. A technical ski with some width for versatility in 3-d snow.

Brahma is slightly flipped. It's really easy to slide. I ski traditional camber and have difficulty sliding the ski flat. So it's high angles for me, although I think I could move this ski around in the woods. But I'd like to try it first.

James

Out There
Instructor
Brahma is slightly flipped. It's really easy to slide...
I ski traditional camber and have difficulty sliding the ski flat.
No idea what “flipped” means. Rockered, early rise? Btw, “flip core” is basically meaningless but I’m not getting into it.

That’s likely a tune problem. Skis don’t need early rise or rocker to slide slideways. They need to have a base thst is relatively flat, with no protruding edges, “railed”, or burrs, A base bevel of 0.75 or more makes it easier, but not necessary.

We could slide sideways all day long before the new kid, Johnny Rocker, came along.

The upshot is, you’ll have no problems due to the ski, sliding sideways on a properly tuned Augment 88. On groomed.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I thought I better not mention it, but it could also be my boots. That's why I have always skied high edge angles - which solves the problem. This calls for a traditional ski. Fortunately I really like skiing with my edges. But it also shows that something is missing in my skill set.

I would really like to try a pair of the 88s. All mountain, woods, bumps - not too stiff.

btw - My boots are stepping up to the job and my skiing is improved. Each day gets better.

Last edited:

Sponsor