• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought the BP 88 166cm

Seems like your lengths are backward. The narrow ski for eastern ice is the one you should be skiing short. If you're going to bother with that kind of a ski, I'd suggest one that's really made for ice. The BP 88 isn't that.

For the soft snow ski, try something in the 160s but with an easier flex. (Your older Samba is pretty beefy.)

I'll let others weigh in on specific models.

Have you had any coaching in the bumps and trees with the goal of relying less on quick pivots and more on scrubbing speed through the whole duration of the turn? That could allow you to keep the skis pointed down the hill more of the time, making short ski length less critical.

My two cents.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel they are too long for me, maybe I need to mount the bindings a bit further back. I'm so used to 159cm skis that 166cm feel hard to turn, esp on bumps and in trees. I also felt a lot of front chatter crossing along narrow flat ridges around bowls. I just lack confidence in the BP 88. They are so light though, I don't feel like I'm wearing skis on my feet at times.

I know the 153cm are short, but I tried the 161cm and they felt totally wrong for what I wanted. I actually demo'd in spring conditions at Big Sky so they did fine in crud/ice (not as good as my Sambas), but so much more nimble and easy to turn on bumps and in trees.
I agree with what Tony says below. A 166 Black Pearl I would not consider too long for you, unless you are a low intermediate level skier. That being said, they are some of the easiest skis to ski, truthfully. I skied a pair for 3 seasons. When someone is struggling on a ski like this, I do question the tune on them. Especially coming off the old Samba, which (as Tony references below) are a pretty stout ski!

But, if you are also skiing a 153 for your other ski, then yes, the jump to a 166 is a big difference. Moving the bindings back will probably exacerbate the issue.

Seems like your lengths are backward. The narrow ski for eastern ice is the one you should be skiing short. If you're going to bother with that kind of a ski, I'd suggest one that's really made for ice. The BP 88 isn't that.

For the soft snow ski, try something in the 160s but with an easier flex. (Your older Samba is pretty beefy.)

Have you had any coaching in the bumps and trees with the goal of relying less on quick pivots and more on scrubbing speed through the whole duration of the turn? That could allow you to keep the skis pointed down the hill more of the time, making short ski length less critical.

My two cents.

To add to this, are you looking to replace the Sambas, the Santa Anas, both? Why did you buy the Black Pearl 88s, and when? If you want something with the smoothness of the Santa Ana but quicker for trees and moguls, the Santa Ana 88 is a great compliment.

Gryphoak

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I agree with what Tony says below. A 166 Black Pearl I would not consider too long for you, unless you are a low intermediate level skier. That being said, they are some of the easiest skis to ski, truthfully. I skied a pair for 3 seasons. When someone is struggling on a ski like this, I do question the tune on them. Especially coming off the old Samba, which (as Tony references below) are a pretty stout ski!

But, if you are also skiing a 153 for your other ski, then yes, the jump to a 166 is a big difference. Moving the bindings back will probably exacerbate the issue.

To add to this, are you looking to replace the Sambas, the Santa Anas, both? Why did you buy the Black Pearl 88s, and when? If you want something with the smoothness of the Santa Ana but quicker for trees and moguls, the Santa Ana 88 is a great compliment.

Sorry, I meant to say I wonder if the BP bindings should be mounted more forward, as I feel like I can't get over the front of them aggressively. To be honest I only bought the BP on sale without demo'ing and just went by reviews. They only had the 166cm which I thought would be good for my height. They are also my lightest skis so maybe I'm used to more weight on my feet. I love my old Sambas and have confidence skiing blacks all over North America and Europe on them. I took the BP 88 to Whistler, Park City and Vail, and felt they were not a good all-around ski for me. I don't want to replace my Santa Anas. They are my newest and I demo'd them silly at Big Sky to figure out the length I like best. I guess what's on paper is not what I like in feel. They are short but I was doing ice, heavy spring snow and bumps in them with joy!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, I meant to say I wonder if the BP bindings should be mounted more forward, as I feel like I can't get over the front of them aggressively. To be honest I only bought the BP on sale without demo'ing and just went by reviews. They only had the 166cm which I thought would be good for my height. They are also my lightest skis so maybe I'm used to more weight on my feet. I love my old Sambas and have confidence skiing blacks all over North America and Europe on them. I took the BP 88 to Whistler, Park City and Vail, and felt they were not a good all-around ski for me. I don't want to replace my Santa Anas. They are my newest and I demo'd them silly at Big Sky to figure out the length I like best. I guess what's on paper is not what I like in feel. They are short but I was doing ice, heavy spring snow and bumps in them with joy!
Super interesting! I'm really intrigued by your conundrum here! It's definitely very possible that you don't like the weight of them, particularly compared to what you are used to.

Gryphoak

Skier

My two cents.

I rarely ever ski the east since the first 2 years of learning. I think that's why I got away with a fatter ski as my first all-mountain one. I got the BP just based on reviews and what I "should have" skiing more hard pack, but it feels very light and unstable at speeds for me, even in the longer length. I'm happy with my new Santa Anas for soft snow. They are 100 underfoot and short, but I like them.

Maybe I need lessons for trees and bumps. I just go into them at will and play for fun, chasing my snowboarder husband, so just like to turn easily and get enough speed to keep up.

I'm just wondering if I should consider upgrading my old Sambas, though I still love them despite all the damage they've endured through these many years. I wonder if I won't like the new BP 98 though, if it's anything like my 2017 BP 88. I guess I should probably try it next trip but I really don't need to spend more on new skis!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I rarely ever ski the east since the first 2 years of learning. I think that's why I got away with a fatter ski as my first all-mountain one. I got the BP just based on reviews and what I "should have" skiing more hard pack, but it feels very light and unstable at speeds for me, even in the longer length. I'm happy with my new Santa Anas for soft snow. They are 100 underfoot and short, but I like them.

Maybe I need lessons for trees and bumps. I just go into them at will and play for fun, chasing my snowboarder husband, so just like to turn easily and get enough speed to keep up.

I'm just wondering if I should consider upgrading my old Sambas, though I still love them despite all the damage they've endured through these many years. I wonder if I won't like the new BP 98 though, if it's anything like my 2017 BP 88. I guess I should probably try it next trip but I really don't need to spend more on new skis!
What do you use the Sambas for? They are essentially the same width as the Santa Anas and both are known to be "crud busters" so I'd be more looking at something narrower (which you already did) to replace the Black Pearls. They'd be really easy to sell. If you love the Sambas, then keep skiing them!

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Sorry, I meant to say I wonder if the BP bindings should be mounted more forward, as I feel like I can't get over the front of them aggressively.

Shhhhh don’t tell anyone, but not everyone loves the Black Pearl! Much like you I find they want a lot of forward pressure to make them get up and go - I can ski them but find them meh at best. Love the Sheeva 9. A ski friend of mine invariably likes the same skis I do, and vice-versa, and she concurs on both accounts. That is why demoing or finding someone whose ski likes/dislikes are similar to yours is so valuable.

I am just shy of 5’9” and 140ish. I have the Sheeva 9 172 and the pre-metal Santa Ana 100 177. I struggle with Nordica Santa Ana sizing - the 169 feels short but the 177 feels like a lot in tight spaces - without metal I could go long but would not in the current model. I think the 161 would be your length in the Santa Ana, but perhaps it just is not your ski? Sheeva 10?

My next dream ski addition is the Stockli Stormrider Motion 85 168. First damp ski I have loved - like butter, but not stiff and boring at all ❤️

Gryphoak

Skier
Thanks, I hate when I don't follow the consensus and love what everyone else does. I think I'll keep my Sambas as my back up another year and retry the BP in the east to see if it's better for me in hard pack/ice. Otherwise, I'll just sell them. I just got new boots too so not sure if that makes ANY difference. I find the Santa Anas more quick turning and playful than my Sambas esp at 153cm, so I bought them after using them for 3 days and not wanting to turn them in. I tried other skis too, and the 161 length. I felt the 161 with metal was not too different feeling from my 159 Sambas so I bought the 153 Santa Ana to have a different feel, which it totally gave me. Can't wait to take them around on the Ikon pass this year!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am in the east but ski 90% of the time out west or in the rockies. I've had the BP 98 159cm since it was called the Samba in 2013 and it's been my favourite all-around ski. When I travel with only one, this is it. It's a bit heavy but can cut through a lot of crud and I feel very confident and fast. It has its limitations on ice though so I bought the BP 88 166cm last year for eastern skiing and maybe they were too long, but felt too light and front heavy for me to feel confident, especially in trees. I then bought the Santa Ana 100 at Big Sky which I love for bumps, powder and trees, but they are short! I tried all lengths but preferred the 153cm most and I'm 5'5, 145lbs.

After putting in so much money for new skis the past 2yrs, I'm still itching to get a new version of the BP 98 as it has a shorter turn radius, lighter weight, and new tech since mine was sold. But I'm wondering if it's worth it. I don't think I've outgrown my 2013 version, but I have FOMO about getting the newest version of this ski.
I feel they are too long for me, maybe I need to mount the bindings a bit further back. I'm so used to 159cm skis that 166cm feel hard to turn, esp on bumps and in trees. I also felt a lot of front chatter crossing along narrow flat ridges around bowls. I just lack confidence in the BP 88. They are so light though, I don't feel like I'm wearing skis on my feet at times.

I know the 153cm are short, but I tried the 161cm and they felt totally wrong for what I wanted. I actually demo'd in spring conditions at Big Sky so they did fine in crud/ice (not as good as my Sambas), but so much more nimble and easy to turn on bumps and in trees.

A better compliment to the BP 98 is the BP 78 (or new 82 for that matter)
And yes the newer version of the Black Pearl 98 is definitely an improvement in TR and power over the original Samba. You may consider selling the 88 and get the 78 and new version of 98 as a two ski quiver.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This cage match came was extremely useful for me yesterday. I had a mother and daughter come in looking for new skis. After some discussion, they became focused on the BP 88 and MB 88. Although these are the narrower cousins to this cage match’s subjects, I had enough info to better relay differences between the 2 skis, since I haven’t skied them. Mom ended up getting the BP and daughter the MB. The MB graphics are some of the best I’ve seen. Anyway, happy mom, happy daughter. ogsmile

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This cage match came was extremely useful for me yesterday. I had a mother and daughter come in looking for new skis. After some discussion, they became focused on the BP 88 and MB 88. Although these are the narrower cousins to this cage match’s subjects, I had enough info to better relay differences between the 2 skis, since I haven’t skied them. Mom ended up getting the BP and daughter the MB. The MB graphics are some of the best I’ve seen. Anyway, happy mom, happy daughter. ogsmile
That's why we're here! :golfclap:

Paul Staricco

Skier
I do feel like the weight of the Mindbender makes it a tad better in Sierra cement, however the Black Pearl is slightly more nimble when you want to make a quick move.
As for the Santa Ana 100, its more of a stable playful cousin to both of these skis.

How about the Santa Ana 110 in comparison to the 100? My wife weighs 118 and is 5.6" tall, loves off piste, going between the trees and hitting the bumps in powder but needs a better ski for our heavy Sierra powder days and those Sierra Cement days? Also considering the 2020 Mindbender 98Ti Alliance or 106 Alliance.