• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Blizzard Brahma 88

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Drahtguy Kevin: The Brahma boasts new construction with a reduced turn radius for this year. It is an easy-skiing, narrower all-mountain ski that excels off piste without sacrificing on-piste performance. The new tip makes this ski more user-friendly in all conditions, and the tighter radius boosts the fun factor. Intermediates to experts will find joy in their time on the Brahma.

Insider tip: An easy-skiing ski is even easier.​

Philpug: Now for the metal version: yes, the regular Brahma has metal, which makes it a bit stronger and damper in some conditions and gives it a higher speed limit. I really like the new generation of these skis (including the new Bonafide). If your older Brahma is getting tired, here you go.

Insider tip: Yes, it is a better Brahma.​

Ron: If you were like me and wondered what exactly was the Brahma, well, Blizzard has solved the riddle. The new metal version has a purpose! Stronger and damper, the Brahma is a blast on the groomed; it is still easy to ski, though, and has a good feel on the snow. The entire ski engages and releases as needed. As a midfat, this ski can be drifted as well. I was skiing behind @DoryBreaux when he demoed the Brahma, and after launching off a roller, he had perma-grin.

Insider tip: These size true even with the tip and tail rocker.​

Who is it for?
Stronger skiers who are fine with a smaller sweet spot. Advanced skiers are going to enjoy this ski for sure, especially those who have put too many days on their old pairs. Basically anyone wanting a reliable and predictable whip.
Who is it not for?
Lighter skiers will find it a bit much, but that's why Blizzard offers the Bushwacker.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
166, 173, 180, 188
Dimensions
127-88-111
Radius
17m@180cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat

Last edited by a moderator:

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
Me: male, 5.11", 180lbs, very advanced/expert but no local hero.

Blizzard Brahma 88/180 (MY2019/2020):
I bought the Blizzard Brahma to act as a hard snow biased allmountain. I had an Enforcer 100/185 (2019), fantastic ski but on very hard/ice obvious not so fantastic. Enter a narrower, bit stiffer, hard snow biased allmountain: good grip on 'ice' and good in tracked out or fresh snow within certain depth limits.

Has the Brahma turned out to be the right choice for me? The first few runs confirmed it is 'more' ski than the Enforcer. Much more serious, less playful and if I went tailward - aka backseat - I immediately had the feeling the Brahma tried to throw me off. A few runs later we became friends. Just a bit of repositioning and a bit more concentration was enough. Actually not a difficult ski at all but still not as playful or fun as the Enforcer. To be honest: I found them a bit boring, slow edge to edge, and it wanted to go fast, constantly. On the other hand, still easy to slide, (very) good grip on hard stuff and it wants to go fast, constantly.

In Italy I had the chance to ski it in a bit of fresh on and off piste. The Brahma performed beautifully. First chance to take it into a few moguls and they did more than okay. But... still not my ski. Too serious, still a bit boring, still felt a bit burly. My thoughts were: nice that this ski is good in not to deep off piste terrain, but in reality - and reason to buy the Brahma - I will ski this most of the time on (very)hard snow. Why then settle for a ski that is so slow edge to edge and boring? On piste it is a bit a one trick pony, fast medium to long turns. Certainly there must be better options. Go skinnier or perhaps an Enforcer 88, bit less good grip but probably more fun. These went up for sale...

But then... I removed the Pivots and replaced them for Attack demo's and tried that combi in France. At last I really liked the Brahma. What a change. Now the Brahma is much faster edge to edge, more agile, easier to achive higher edges and more fun overall. I was planning on selling them but after this change not anymore.

Insider tip: if you want them to be quicker and bit more fun, get bindings with higher standheight.

Brahma's in old set-up with Pivot 15 raw
1641462848700.png

Sponsor