• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Elan Wingman 82 CTi

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: Of the Wingman skis, the 82 CTi was the surprise for me, but I didn’t know why until I read the dimensions. The tip at 129mm is about the same as the wider 86 CTi, and that equates to a quicker turn-in and a more playful ski.

I find the Amphibio 82 CTi to be “big toe” skis: they favor skiers who really pressure the downhill ski and allow the inside ski to come along for the ride. Once you get used to the Amphibio design, it is like having power steering.

Insider tip: You can get the Wingman flat; stronger/bigger skiers should consider an adjustable binding and rearward mount.​

TonyS: I just have never been on a ski anything like this. Home cooks: This is like moving from a Wüsthof or a Henckels knife to a Japanese model. Half the weight with twice the slice. It bends easily but still grips like a bulldog. (I know that sounds like my account of the DPS above but the skis are totally different. The DPS really is binary. It's supposed to be. I had a French teacher like that in high school. You say something and she'd say it back properly. You knew what that meant, even if you didn't like it.)

The Elan doesn't correct you; it's just kind of invisible, like the jet pack on your back in that awesome dream. They should have called it the Wingsuit instead of the Wingman. It does its ski duty perfectly and lets you concentrate on skiing. Look left, go left. Astounding that a ski that can be so locked into a carved turn can also do brushy instructor turns so well. The conundrum of the Wingman is that it's very precise and yet very forgiving. Yes, there is a lot of resistance to the whole Amphibio thing. I get it. But, but, but ... I DO think that inside ski tracking was noticeably better on this ski.

I see this taking over from my MX84. I can feel the foundations of Pugski shaking: "You are trading the signature Kästle model for an Elan?" Are you nuts?" I'm not nuts. The Wingman is not a better ski, necessarily, just especially well suited to me. Finding that ski is the whole point of doing demos, right? Let the bidding on the cast-offs begin.

Insider tip 1: Don't be like me. Don't blow past Elan for any of the reasons people do that.​
Insider tip 2: Pick your length and it will work for you. The one I was on was "too long" and it was still killer, with all that elbow room.​

Awards
Who is it for?
A skier who is happy to let high tech take over some of the load. Those who pressure the outside ski.
Who is it not for?
Hidebound big guys.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
160, 166, 172, 178, 184
Dimensions
129-82-112
Radius
15.5m@178cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Stay tuned for my long-term review on this model. :popcorn:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a great ski. I may have a pair for sale soon, for those reading.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My only current misgiving is that I at least think I wish I'd bought the 86.

There is almost never a day when I don't end up diving in off-piste at least a bit and the wider platform would be appreciated, since I live in the land of mostly soft snow.

Also looking at the new Rossi Exp 86 ti........

DOES IT EVER END?! :doh::ogbiggrin::geek:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What makes you choose the Elan over your Laser SC on a given day?
How much variable conditions I think there will be. If the snow/weather have been good and I think things will be smooth, I take the Stockl's. If things might be cruddy or choppy, I usually take the Elans. But it varies....

Sponsor