• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 4.18.57 AM.png
Here is the Cage Match I have had more than a few requests for, the Fischer RC One GT Multiflex and the Salomon S/Force Bold, two new skis that have been the topics of many preseason discussions. Honestly, I think it is a Cage Match that is going to disappoint many here in that these skis are sooo close in performance and feel that is really going to be tough to separate the two and choose one over the other. Maybe it comes down to whether the brown/black camo of the Salomon or the gray-blue/red of the Fischer strikes your fancy! Still, there are a few differences that might sway you one way or the other.

These two skis are a tale of evolution and revolution, and I will start with the evolution. When I got on the Fischer, it was really just what I expected. It has the smoothness and grace of its narrower brothers, the Curv GT and Curv DTX, but a bit more groomer versatility added than the outgoing Pro MTN 86TI because its tail has more taper. In mixed snow, the Fischer can be worked into any turn shape with a connected and solid feel to the snow.

The Salomon is the revolutionary ski of this Cage Match. Even though the S/Force Bold shares construction similarities with its narrower brother S/Max Blast, a softer flex and channeling in the tip give it a much more compliant feel on the snow. The S/Force shares absolutely nothing with any ski that Salomon has ever offered in the mid-80mm category, so you really have no comparison to work off of.

Not only is this a tale of evolution and revolution, it is also a tale of two tails, and that is where the skis are most different: the wider flare of the Salomon wants to hold and finish the turn a bit more than the Fischer.
  • Why choose the RC One GT 86 Multiflex? You play a bit more off piste and want a ski that can be worked a little more.
  • Why choose the S/Force Bold? You want a wide carver that doesn’t need to be worked and has a sweet spot that is as wide as a Sun Valley groomer.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
There you go again... giving the people what they want. ;)

@Philpug - am I incorrectly remembering the S/Force Bold? Isn't that the ski you had out at A-Basin at the end of last season? Isn't it a much heavier ski than the 86 GT?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There you go again... giving the people what they want. ;)

@Philpug - am I incorrectly remembering the S/Force Bold? Isn't that the ski you had out at A-Basin at the end of last season? Isn't it a much heavier ski than the 86 GT?
It is heavier but that really is felt more when carrying the ski as compared to on snow feel. The Fischer while is no lightweight also skis heavy.

Sponsor

Staff online