• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Liberty V76 W

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia: This is one of the skis I had been waiting for ever since skiing the V76 last year in a 172, and the promise of a women’s version in shorter lengths for 2020. The V76 in 165 is part of my test fleet, so I’ve had a chance to take her out in a variety of conditions with a couple different tunes. This ski is incredible in the moguls, grippy on hard pack, and powerful in the crud. Having skied it in three, including the men's lengths, I can say that there is a fit for just about anyone looking for a ski with this kind of tenacity. It is rare that you find a 76mm-waisted ski that instills confidence off piste the way the Liberty V76 W does. The thing I haven’t touched on yet is the incredibly gorgeous topsheet; the artists and engineers at Liberty have outdone themselves on this one.

Insider tip: If you’re looking for stability at speed, go up a size. If you’re looking for a nimble daily driver, stick with your normal size.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Someone looking for a frontside-biased ski that can charge moguls and trees.
Who is it not for?
Jibbing Jenny.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
151, 158, 165
Dimensions
126-76-106
Radius
12m@158cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I loved this ski.. Skied it on Frozen Cord at Mammoth end of May that turned into Piles of Spring Corn, this ski complied and did everything I asked it to do and was an absolute BLAST to ski! The stability is amazing, no tip chatter on the frozen, easy peasy in the bumps and spring piles. WHAT A SKI!! I can't wait to ski it more!! Hats off to Liberty!

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
When it finally dropped to $199 on Sierra.com, I pulled the trigger. Since I’ve been learning to carve on some elderly (but indemnified) Dynastars Glorys with a 69 waist, I know they won’t last forever. And ever since @ADKmel started raving about them, I’ve been hoping I could one day.

At $199, why not?

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
When it finally dropped to $199 on Sierra.com, I pulled the trigger. Since I’ve been learning to carve on some elderly (but indemnified) Dynastars Glorys with a 69 waist, I know they won’t last forever. And ever since @ADKmel started raving about them, I’ve been hoping I could one day.

At $199, why not?
Awesome idea, just bought my wife these skis for $199 also (165cm). @newboots or anyone, can you recommend a binding? I could get something from the ski shop here in the spring on sale, or maybe go to Corbetts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Awesome idea, just bought my wife these skis for $199 also (165cm). @newboots or anyone, can you recommend a binding? I could get something from the ski shop here in the spring on sale, or maybe go to Corbetts. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I cannot! I asked @Philpug and he said, "the narrowest one you can get." I'm not in a rush with mine - still skiing the Dynastars right now. Bindings do come with various brake widths, but I don't know of one that is narrow, specifically.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
@newboots FYI-Just got the V76w’s mounted. I found a Salomon Warden 11 demo binding with an 80mm brake (@ $140 US at Corbetts) Bindings with smaller width brakes were a little hard to find. 85mm brake widths were a little more plentiful. These should work great though since my son and daughter can try these skis and decide if this style ski is something they would consider.
I love the top sheet. The pebbled surface seems durable. I hate the glossy ones that fade (2016 Head Monster I’m looking at you). The full moon image and color palette is great.

CF65A8D2-70B7-40F1-9C72-A5491AB25696.jpeg

Last edited:

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I cannot! I asked @Philpug and he said, "the narrowest one you can get." I'm not in a rush with mine - still skiing the Dynastars right now. Bindings do come with various brake widths, but I don't know of one that is narrow, specifically.
I bought marker squires with a 90mm brakes to go on these. Haven’t mounted them yet. I realize the brakes are a bit wide, but when I lined them up on the ski, they seemed to fit pretty well. I think they run a bit narrow.

Not positive I’ll have them mounted this season (depends on conditions) but I’ll let you know how it goes if I do.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I bought these for my wife for Christmas and had them mounted with new Pivot 12s I already had and bought 75mm brakes.
Just curious because I don’t know - the waist width is 76mm and the brakes are 75mm. Is it normal practice that you can get slightly slimmer brakes due to the tolerances?

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I bought marker squires with a 90mm brakes to go on these. Haven’t mounted them yet. I realize the brakes are a bit wide, but when I lined them up on the ski, they seemed to fit pretty well. I think they run a bit narrow.

Not positive I’ll have them mounted this season (depends on conditions) but I’ll let you know how it goes if I do.
Yes please let me know your thoughts on the ski. My wife might take them out this afternoon, I’ll give my impressions as well. I love the shape of the shovel. I’m hoping it helps with turn initiation. I’m crossing my fingers that it helps my wife level up in the carving game.

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just curious because I don’t know - the waist width is 76mm and the brakes are 75mm. Is it normal practice that you can get slightly slimmer brakes due to the tolerances?
The rule of thumb for brakes is waist width +/- 15mm. The closer to the waist width the better. The ski tech should be able to easily bend a 75mm brake to fit a ski with a 76mm waist width.

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes please let me know your thoughts on the ski. My wife might take them out this afternoon, I’ll give my impressions as well. I love the shape of the shovel. I’m hoping it helps with turn initiation. I’m crossing my fingers that it helps my wife level up in the carving game.
I am also hoping these skis help progress my carving!

Sponsor