• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Liberty V82 W

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia: Much like the Liberty V76 W, the 82 is good on groomers, playful in the moguls, and powerful in the trees. The primary difference is exactly what you’d expect with a ski that is 6 mm wider: it is just a little more stable for someone who is accustomed to a little wider ski, while it fills the spot in your quiver as a frontside-biased but bad-ass off-piste daily driver.

Insider tip: Don’t overthink the size. I’ve had fun on both the 158 and 165.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Someone looking for versatility in a ski.
Who is it not for?
Someone looking for a dull day.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
151, 158, 165
Dimensions
129-82-110
Radius
12.5m@158cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi ladies,
I‘m looking at the liberty 82 w 165 vs kastle lx85 168 vs 2018 163 k2 ooolaluv. My wife is 5’4” skiing mostly groomers in Poconos but is no wallflower. She is an intermediate to advanced Skier but I am now leaning towards liberty. Without testing, why should we choose the liberty over these other two. The lx may be too burly and I’m not sure why she wouldn’t luv the k2. Could the liberty be a little too aggressive for those days when she just wants to relax a little? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi ladies,
I‘m looking at the liberty 82 w 165 vs Kästle lx85 168 vs 2018 163 k2 ooolaluv. My wife is 5’4” skiing mostly groomers in Poconos but is no wallflower. She is an intermediate to advanced Skier but I am now leaning towards liberty. Without testing, why should we choose the liberty over these other two. The lx may be too burly and I’m not sure why she wouldn’t luv the k2. Could the liberty be a little too aggressive for those days when she just wants to relax a little? Thanks in advance.
Paging @Tricia and @ADKmel to the courtesy phone.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi ladies,
I‘m looking at the liberty 82 w 165 vs Kästle lx85 168 vs 2018 163 k2 ooolaluv. My wife is 5’4” skiing mostly groomers in Poconos but is no wallflower. She is an intermediate to advanced Skier but I am now leaning towards liberty. Without testing, why should we choose the liberty over these other two. The lx may be too burly and I’m not sure why she wouldn’t luv the k2. Could the liberty be a little too aggressive for those days when she just wants to relax a little? Thanks in advance.
Hey Chris,
The Oooolaluv is extremely damp, and depending on the year of the LX85 the earlier version was a really nice ski and soft enough for most women, but the last few years it got a bit burlier.
The advantage to the Liberty in this case is that it holds an edge, handles bumps well, and has a bit more of a playful side without giving up the edginess.

When we skied it with some other women last year it was a top pick for several of them, including @margaritamarcia @ADKmel @Luvbug All three of whom are discerning skiers.
Marcia rarely posts here but @bbinder can speak to her purchase of that ski.

Last edited:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Marcia does not find the Libertys too demanding. She often skis a relaxing line, but wants her skis to do what she asks of them. Previous to these, her everyday Eastern skis were the (original) Black Pearls. Even though the Liberty is narrower, it fits that slot nicely for her. ADKmel is a lot more of a hard charger and fast skier. If she liked the Liberty as well as Marcia, then that says a lot.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I am wow'd by the Liberty. I live in the NE.
I have the V76W From frozen cord in the morning to piles of spring corn, carving on nice packed powder to fresh powder days they have been awesome ski for me. They reward good skiing with a smooth ride. They do what you ask of them. No tip chatter, put them on edge and they have zoom factor. I have well worn knees and need forgiveness in a ski, with these I'm back in the bumps and having fun, they are not too stiff, I find them forgiving with a big sweet spot, a very nice ride. Highly recommend.

I haven't been on the Kastle, I agree w/ @Tricia on the dampness of K2.

Keys2Ski

Getting on the lift
Skier
I also enjoyed the liberty 82 that day spring skiing at mammoth. They were very stable and could rip for sure. If I were looking for a groomer ski, this would be the one I would purchase. I’m getting older and weaker, but I felt very comfortable on these skis. And only averaging 10 days a year might say something too.

Sponsor