• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Liberty V82

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Drahtguy Kevin: From tip to tail, this ski is a winner. This ski is smooth and easy just like its skinnier little brother. Multiple turn shapes are simple and secure. High-speed cruising is a delight, and the silky feel makes you want to extend your day.

Insider tip: Check out the base structure on these babies.​

Andy Mink: Much like its narrower sibling, the V82 is a very solid, very fun ski. It wants you to enjoy doing what you want to do. What it gives up in edge-to-edge quickness to the 76 (which isn't much!), it gives back with a little more capability in softer, chunkier, or other sometimes more challenging conditions. Even though there is only 6 mm difference underfoot, it is enough to notice. Can't decide? Get them both!

Intermediate tip: If you like the V76 but need a bit more float for those light powder on groomer days, this may be the ski for you.​

Doug Briggs: I enjoyed this ski last year, and this year’s model did not disappoint. It is very lively and exciting to ski on, quick and nimble with great grip. It easily makes variety of turn shapes, including little, quick turns, and returns a lot of energy at the end of a turn.

Insider tip: Don’t let the brand name fool you. This is a serious frontside ski.​
Ron: Liberty has been around for quite some time but, I have to admit, never on my radar. The Colorado-based brand just seemed too newschool freeskier to me. I was wrong. New for 2019, Liberty's new Vertical Metal Technology (VMT) stacks metal vertically in the ski, which is, if I am correct, a first. I first got on the V82 and was less than enamored, but after Phil discussed the tune with the national sales rep, they quickly prepped another pair for us to try. I mention this because Liberty cared about its skis where, sadly, others don't. That tells you something about the brand and the people behind it. Upon the re-test, I found the V82 to be a blast. The VMT has a feel that is very damp and connected to the snow. It engages very well and holds the turn consistently, without you having to steer or correct its path. At the same time, you can break the turn and go right into short- and medium-radius turns. This is a versatile ski that has a fun, energetic ride to it. I was quite surprised by this ski; it is another I could own.

Insider tip: Don't overlook this brand! See www.skiessentials.com.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Skiers looking for a versatile frontside carver that can dabble off piste, and who like a more damp feel with some pop and energy; early adopters. The intermediate to advanced skier looking for a bit wider narrow ski for the bottom end of the quiver.
Who is it not for?
People scared of change. Liberty is upping its game. Those looking for a wide carver with race chops A stronger, heavier skier may overpower this ski, but I doubt it.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
165, 172, 179, 186
Dimensions
129-82-110
Radius
16.5m@179cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. Updated construction
Binding options
  1. Flat

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^This^^^^

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Sizing question. New England. Thinking this may be my "stay in my truck" ski to use midweek, for example at smaller day trip hills....all sorts of conditions. But mostly groomers.

5'10", 215lbs, a fit age 66, and I am very much "OK with my skiing" Other hard snow skis are normally 180cm i.speed pros, 170cm i.race pros, and 177cm Super Shape I.race, and 193cm true WC Stockli Skier Cross.{like unobtanium}......as it gets deeper, softer and more wide open we go all the way up to 196cm gen1 Bodacius.

For $200, I want to try a pair. I happened to pass by three boxes of STH2 16's, in my basement and I'm "highly motivated."

Small hill, variety of turn shapes, variety of speeds. Variety of skiing partners.

179cm, or 186cm? Thinking 179cm.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sizing question. New England. Thinking this may be my "stay in my truck" ski to use midweek, for example at smaller day trip hills....all sorts of conditions. But mostly groomers.

5'10", 215lbs, a fit age 66, and I am very much "OK with my skiing" Other hard snow skis are normally 180cm i.speed pros, 170cm i.race pros, and 177cm Super Shape I.race, and 193cm true WC Stöckli Skier Cross.{like unobtanium}......as it gets deeper, softer and more wide open we go all the way up to 196cm gen1 Bodacius.

For $200, I want to try a pair. I happened to pass by three boxes of STH2 16's, in my basement and I'm "highly motivated."

Small hill, variety of turn shapes, variety of speeds. Variety of skiing partners.

179cm, or 186cm? Thinking 179cm.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Similar size. I liked the 179. It's a full length ski; I think the 186 would be a handful unless I was on groomers all the time.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to the thread alerting everyone to open their wallets and pick up a pair on sale for $199, I now have a pair of these in the W version on their way to me. I ordered the 158 length at 5'5" 125 pounds because I want the added quickness and maneuverability in tight spaces. I did ski two different VMT versions during ski testing in 2019 and was a big fan. They had a nice snow feel, and while I thought they would want to lock into a turn, they actually didn't. They did basically turn themselves, though, and didn't kick my butt in skidded turns.

I've found that on firmer groomer days (which we've had a majority of this year in Utah) even my 88s are wider than I like. I'm excited to get these which I have a feeling are going to see a lot more time on the snow than just on "firm" groomer days. Hoping to get them on the snow by this Sunday as they are scheduled to arrive Saturday, and I can get them mounted and prepped (tuned) that night. Yes, I'm spoiled. :ogbiggrin:

brian avery

Skiing - Let's Do This!
Skier
yeah, you need to go 186!
Ron, I'm 6'1" 180lbs. Looking at this and Brahma 82. I would be 173 in the Brahma. You think I could get away with 172 in the V82 being that it's a full length ski? Just going to use on smaller hills in western NY.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
well, they are stable and do ski full-length. So, yes you could do that. Especially since I ski on 165 SL's most days here. :).

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ron, I'm 6'1" 180lbs. Looking at this and Brahma 82. I would be 173 in the Brahma. You think I could get away with 172 in the V82 being that it's a full length ski? Just going to use on smaller hills in western NY.
I'm 6' 2" 215lbs. and recently picked up some V76 in 172 for groomer carvers. Usually have a 165 SL ski kicking about as well.

Sponsor