• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s a real question if Killington will be open. All of CO closed tonight, Okemo, Mt Snow closed “till 3/22” tonight, I imagine that’ll be permanent though.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Not a peep about the virus at Bretton Woods. I'm finding nothing on the website about management watching the CDC recommendations, nothing about extra efforts to keep areas clean, nothing about closing the gondola (it's open), no mention of anything special going on at all.

The person who wrote the daily snow report started his report this morning with this understated nod to the pandemic's existence: Yes, we are OPEN today.

Nearby Cannon and Loon each have a page dedicated to their attention to the virus and the tactics they are using to insure guest and employee safety.

Bretton Woods is owned by Omni Hotels, and hotels, as far as I know, are not closing. I'm so glad I quit teaching three weeks ago.

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Looks like Bretton Woods & Smugglers Notch are going to be great places to pickup COVID-19 if you want it. There was a car in our condo parking lot with NY Plates and a Golden Touch Soccer League sticker (New Rochelle, NY). We are staying away for the rest of the season.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like Bretton Woods & Smugglers Notch are going to be great places to pickup COVID-19 if you want it. There was a car in our condo parking lot with NY Plates and a Golden Touch Soccer League sticker (New Rochelle, NY). We are staying away for the rest of the season.
Yikes!

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Like, quit quit? Or just done for the season?
Done for the season. As in done done. No teaching, no skiing.
Let's hope next season starts covid-19 free in November, but time will tell. I'll resume teaching and skiing then if it is safe.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, I was thinking of buying the Killington Spring pass yesterday...
Guess not.
I suspect this whole thing will get worse in the next week and Vail will not reopen. I there’s a chance Killington could reopen in April without the gondolas, but that’s likely wishful thinking.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I was up at Stowe on Saturday when they were still open and decided that I wasn't comfortable with the risk (too much traffic heading up Mountain Road), so I sat it out. Today they closed "temporarily" along with most everybody else.

At any rate... I don't see me attending the NEG even if Killington somehow re-opens next week, which I would guess is highly unlikely. Killington's reliance on gondolas along with them seeing the load from every closed area... No thanks. And yes, I realize that's a turnaround from what I stated last week (i.e., that the show will go on), but the more I read about the pandemic, the more I realize that the safe and smart move is to stay home.

I'll leave this thread open for any continued discussion about this year's NEG.

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m still assessing. KTon is a day trip for me so if they do manage to open back up and the curve has flattened I will probably make a decision on Thursday or Friday.

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s likely that if Kton re-opens, gondolas would be closed as well as the lodge/food. Lodges would be open for bathrooms, and there might be some sort of forced distancing by elimination of tables and chairs.

In terms of lifts, I don’t know Killington and what they do well enough, but prob Superstar, Snowdon express, Canyon , North Ridge.
Possibly Snowshed to keep beginner area if there’s snow.
Fallback would be Superstar only.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Same with me A-A-ron. I'm hoping that things change for the better quickly, but that does not seem likely.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s likely that if Kton re-opens, gondolas would be closed as well as the lodge/food. Lodges would be open for bathrooms, and there might be some sort of forced distancing by elimination of tables and chairs.

In terms of lifts, I don’t know Killington and what they do well enough, but prob Superstar, Snowdon express, Canyon , North Ridge.
Possibly Snowshed to keep beginner area if there’s snow.
Fallback would be Superstar only.
Prior to COVID-19, Killington had stated that with the destruction of the K1 Lodge, Snowshed Lodge would support Superstar for the spring season. They were going to work on enough snow that you could ski down to that lodge. There are several ways to make that work, but I suspect High Road to Snowshed is the most efficient as it also lets you access Bittersweet and Skylark as long as they are open all off the Superstar lift. The umbrella bar restrooms are right next door to the lift for that convenience.

Probably doesn't matter now. The Superstar Glacier will go to waste this year.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
True John. But sadly the perpetrator is no longer with us, so it's all just hearsay at this point.
I never heard of K&P until I saw that skit and I still get a laugh after watching it 50x.

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So if the cancellation wasn't official before, it is now.
Suspension Extended – Killington Resort Operations Suspended Until Further Notice
Dear Killington Resort Guest,
We have continued to monitor the dynamic and unprecedented COVID-19 public health crisis and, as a result of the unfolding events surrounding it, we have made the careful determination to extend the suspension of our operations. We are closed for now and, while we cannot underestimate the extreme fluidity of our current situation, our goal is to reopen when we can.

We continue to share the same belief as many of you – that spending time in the mountains, enjoying nature and the outdoors is important to leading a fulfilling life, and this is why we will continue to monitor the situation with the hope of being able to resume operations when the COVID-19 threat subsides.

We realize this decision will certainly be disappointing to many, but this is a serious situation and closing our operations for now marks a significant step to help stop the spread of COVID-19. During this time, we encourage everyone to do their part to enable social distancing, an important step to mitigate the risks associated with COVID-19.

I'll see you all in Principal O'Shaughnessy's office.

Last edited:

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Ya Fat Lady finished singing. A few days ago. Time to clear out the lockers.
Speaking of lockers, at another resort with respect to ski school lockers, I got one email to clear it out by Sunday, and another not to return for pickup until further notice. The resort is a government operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.