• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2020 Nordica Enforcer 100 vs 2020 Volkl Mantra 102

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 9.15.31 AM.png
As requested: the reference ski in the 100mm category, the Nordica Enforcer 100, and the next entry from Völkl (after putting all its eggs in the M5 basket), the Mantra One Oh … as in “oh my”… the Mantra 102.

Let's start with clubhouse leader, the Enforcer 100. Yes, this is the ski that the other brands have in their crosshairs. The Enforcer is a damn good ski and wears every accolade deservedly with pride. You want playful? The Enforcer can do that. You want to charge? Well, you might need to size up, but it's not a problem. There are very few things this ski cannot do. (But is the Enforcer 100 the ski to go up against the Mantra 102, or is it the all-new Enforcer Free 104? Hmmm.)

I was skeptical with the M5 Mantra: was it all it was supposed to be? Was it the proper homage to the Mantras that made the Mantra name? I don't think so; Völkl missed the bullseye. But what about the Mantra 102? Yeah, this all-new ski is a Mantra among Mantras. It is a ripper. It is the love child of the Gotama and the best-generation Mantra you would ever want.
  • Why choose the Enforcer 100? You believe everything you read; you want a very versatile 100mm ski.
  • Why choose the Mantra 102? I repeat, this ski says “Come vit me if you vant to live." It is now the reference ski in the charger category, the ski the 98mm Mantra matured into.
  • Insider tip: IMHO, the Enforcer Free 104 is a better comparison to the Mantra; stay tuned for that one later on.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Fantastic!

The Mantra 102 is definitely a great ski.

Concur with the Enforcer 100--I went up to the 193 instead of the otherwise awesome 185 in order to get a little more top end stability.

Agree that the Enforcer 104 vs. Mantra 102 is probably more relevant comparison--look forward to hearing your thoughts on that match-up; would also like to see the Stormrider 105 contrasted with these, as well.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
As requested: the reference ski in the 100mm category, the Nordica Enforcer 100, and the next entry from Völkl (after putting all its eggs in the M5 basket), the Mantra One Oh … as in “oh my”… the Mantra 102.

Let's start with clubhouse leader, the Enforcer 100. Yes, this is the ski that the other brands have in their crosshairs. The Enforcer is a damn good ski and wears every accolade deservedly with pride. You want playful? The Enforcer can do that. You want to charge? Well, you might need to size up, but it's not a problem. There are very few things this ski cannot do. (But is the Enforcer 100 the ski to go up against the Mantra 102, or is it the all-new Enforcer Free 104? Hmmm.)

I was skeptical with the M5 Mantra: was it all it was supposed to be? Was it the proper homage to the Mantras that made the Mantra name? I don't think so; Völkl missed the bullseye. But what about the Mantra 102? Yeah, this all-new ski is a Mantra among Mantras. It is a ripper. It is the love child of the Gotama and the best-generation Mantra you would ever want.
  • Why choose the Enforcer 100? You believe everything you read; you want a very versatile 100mm ski.
  • Why choose the Mantra 102? I repeat, this ski says “Come vit me if you vant to live." It is now the reference ski in the charger category, the ski the 98mm Mantra matured into.
  • Insider tip: IMHO, the Enforcer Free 104 is a better comparison to the Mantra; stay tuned for that one later on.

Ok, so the question is, which length should I get the Mantra 102 in?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To me, the V-Werks Mantra is a 95-100 boss, the one to compare to, rather than the M5. I'd like to compare it to the Mantra 102 by demoing. Soon, hopefully.
(Before that V-W, I thought the Enforcer 100 was tops, but only off piste and in crud/powder, not really as much on groomers.)

(I own both Mantras, 96 and 99. With extended use, was disappointed with the M5 for all but groomer and light crud/pow covered groomer use, complement to the Enforcer, rather than direct competition.

The V-Werks Mantra, on the other hand, competes in both areas, including steeps. And as both a charger and an easy-going ski or bump ski (in the right length?). And it out-performs both M5 and Enforcer 100, to me. (The Enforcer 100 may still do better in crud, not sure yet.) Try em, I ain't lyin.

Having not skied the 102 Mantra or 104 Free Enforcer yet (and looking forward to both), hard to say further.

The MindBender 99 (at least in a longer length) would probably be a better comparison to the Mantra 102, I gather: both are apparently very stable chargers. (The Mindbender 99 sure is.) The Mindbender 99 is so stable at speed; and it is a crud/slush killer.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok, so the question is, which length should I get the Mantra 102 in?
It runs true to size so whatever you would normally ski it in.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier

Any update on the Mantra 102 vs. Enforcer 104 Free?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any update on the Mantra 102 vs. Enforcer 104 Free?
No, but the Enforcer 104 is definately much more playful than the Mantra.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
imho the enforcer 104 and mantra 102 is pretty far apart, enforcer 104 will go floppety flopp when chargeing and flex out. but in tight woods on powder its awesome, 191cm mantra 102 in tight trees with heavy powder is something I will not do again, the enforcer 104 however just loves it and makes it easy.

mantra 102 is a wide more fun GS ski, I tend to take mine out on mornings with no people, but also when people start to leave because its so bumpy/cruddy/icy they dont want to ski, the mantra does not care.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
imho the enforcer 104 and mantra 102 is pretty far apart, enforcer 104 will go floppety flopp when chargeing and flex out. but in tight woods on powder its awesome, 191cm mantra 102 in tight trees with heavy powder is something I will not do again, the enforcer 104 however just loves it and makes it easy.

mantra 102 is a wide more fun GS ski, I tend to take mine out on mornings with no people, but also when people start to leave because its so bumpy/cruddy/icy they dont want to ski, the mantra does not care.

Any thought where the Fischer Ranger 102 FR fits in compared to the Enforcer 104 Free and Mantra 102?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Any thought where the Fischer Ranger 102 FR fits in compared to the Enforcer 104 Free and Mantra 102?

Good question. I would like to know as well.

Having skied the Mantra 102 and the Enforcer (Free 104 not the newest 100) I also concur that they are different skis. The mantra 102 (at least in the 184cm length) is a charger. It likes to be skied with authority. Do that and it remains happy and versatile. Try to do any kind of pivoty heel pushing and it will send you to the weeds. Get cute with the Mantra and it will slap you. Not nearly as bad as a Kastle MX99 would though. The Enforcer is a different ski. It has a softer flex but it is at least as heavy. That makes it easier to ski but still damp. The tail is not as punishing and it tolerates some lazier cruising and some pivoting. Due to the weight the Enforcers are not ideal for light skiers that like to go slow but they are still one of the most versatile skis in its category. They work best (like most skis in that category) with sturdy boots that fit well (snug) if not the skis will push the boots around. This is specially true with the Mantra 102.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've demoed the Fischer Ranger 102 FR twice now. Not the same as owning and really getting to know it, but something. Tentatively, to me the 102 FR has a great carve and tracks well on edge, while still managing to be quick and playful; that compensates for how lightweight and relatively active it is, and shows the main strategy with this ski to compensate for, and minimize, its lack of dampness. In 4-6" of powder, for me it was too active, not damp enough - but still fun. On a day after powder, I enjoyed it more than on a powder day: I relied on its great carve. By contrast, both the Enforcer 104 Free and the Mantra 102 are both heavier and more damp. All three are very good skis.

To me, if I got it, the Mantra 102 is such a stable, planted charger that I'd forgive that it seems to be a fat GS ski, mostly. The Enforcer 104 FR, on the other hand, has a lot of unusual character, is a groundbreaking kind of playful but strong ski: I'd have to ski it more than the twice I was on it to really get to know the things it does best.

A ski most like the Fischer Ranger 102 Free, to me, is the Dynastar Menace M Pro 108 (and maybe also, a bit, the wider Dynastar M Pro or Proto or Factory 118. ) They are all great carvers, great tracking, similar shape feel and very playful, though the Dynastars are more playful and forgiving, seems like. And the Dynastars are at the same time a bit more damp and powerful - better on real powder days for most, I'd guess.

Reactions: BMC

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I bought the fischer 102 FR in both 184 and 191cm lengths to try, I find for groomers and fun the ranger beats the enforcers on pretty much anything, and I own enforcer 88, 93,110, and have skied the 104 quite a bit

I have the mantra 102, in 191cm, its a BEAST, and I loooooove it. I would rate the 191cm fischer 102 FR to be more chargy than any of the enforcers, but not a mantra 102.
You can see alot of my experiences on them in other threads.

I find the mantra 102 to be surprisingly forgiving, I was nervous buying it at 191cm, skiessentials said size down, I went up :eek: , you can standup from a carve at 70mph and just scrub speed at any time, even if its bumpy and piles of snow, it wil DEVASTATE anything makeing rails. I can ski on it all day and since it just flattens everything its not that crazy tiring, but... dont go into TIGHT woods with it, with tons of snow, your legs/knees will hate you

102 FR is for me my new favorite allround ski, I can do laps in the park on it, ski switch, having fun, then CHARGE, its surprisingly fast edge to edge, it doesnt go floppety flop, this is hands down my favorite non titanl ski (only under binding)

Enforcers are enforcers, they are all good, but there are limitations, I can see why they are updateing them for 2021, they have to up the game, shedding weight in tips will help with the floppety. I'm heavyish at 215-220 and for me enforcers are NOT stiff, doesnt matter which lengths.

I skied enforcer 88/93 back to back with 102 FR on bumpy cruddy and at times icy stuff. and I found 102 FR better than any the enforcers for this.

Tell us more about what you are going to use the skis for.

Reactions: BMC

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
About 4 days on the Fisher 102 FR now and owned the Enforcer 104 for a year now and have skied the Mantra 102 a few times.
Agree with the comments so far about the Mantra 102 being like a wide, damp GS turning charger that’s more forgiving and versatile than most chargers. The Enforcer 104 is similar weight and not quite as quiet or damp but easier to ski and much more fun and forgiving off piste. Very good stability for most skiers but for high speed chargers, the Mantra 102 will inspire more confidence. Edge hold advantage is again with the Mantra and pivoting in tight spots goes to the Enforcer.

The Fisher 102 FR feels super light when first skiing due to its very low swing weight even though it’s not THAT much lighter. It’s Carbon tips will not be as damp or quiet on harder snow as the other 2 though. What’s surprising is the carving capability of this ski and pop out of the turn. Very fun even at lower speeds like the Enforcer 104 but has better edge grip and even with it’s lower weight, I’m surprised how confidence inspiring it is a high speeds. Even in afternoon crud, the tip design glides over stuff at speed without issue. Extra weight would improve it even more in heavy crud I’m sure but very impressed so far.

The Enforcer 104 the easiest going and has the largest appeal to all abilities, Fisher 102 FR the more serious and precise Enforcer and the Mantra the king of the on piste rippers.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was able to demo the Mantra 102 @ 184, the new Katana 108 @ 184, and the Enforcer 104 @ 186 this weekend.

Conditions were pretty challenging with some awful dust on super firm and chunky refreeze (refrozen ruts, ice balls etc). It was so bad that Castle's chutes were closed to protect the public.

Snow didn't bond well, and was sluffing on steeper access. The sluff added to the dust in more mellow areas...and gullies were actually kind of deep.

I lapped "Drifter", which is supposed to be Canada's longest fall line....and nominally a tree run, but they're pretty spaced.

Interesting conditions to test!

The Enforcer was a better powder ski than both volkls. It was also much easier to pivot.

The Volkls were much more confidence inspiring in the junk. I could really let the Volkls run.

The enforcers didn't suit me as a bad snow ski.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was able to demo the Mantra 102 @ 184, the new Katana 108 @ 184, and the Enforcer 104 @ 186 this weekend.

Conditions were pretty challenging with some awful dust on super firm and chunky refreeze (refrozen ruts, ice balls etc). It was so bad that Castle's chutes were closed to protect the public.

Snow didn't bond well, and was sluffing on steeper access. The sluff added to the dust in more mellow areas...and gullies were actually kind of deep.

I lapped "Drifter", which is supposed to be Canada's longest fall line....and nominally a tree run, but they're pretty spaced.

Interesting conditions to test!

The Enforcer was a better powder ski than both volkls. It was also much easier to pivot.

The Volkls were much more confidence inspiring in the junk. I could really let the Volkls run.

The enforcers didn't suit me as a bad snow ski.

Did the Katana just feel like a wider Mantra or did they have a distinct feel?

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Did the Katana just feel like a wider Mantra or did they have a distinct feel?

To me it felt like a wider Mantra 102. I didn't get a lot of time on it though.

I have spent more time on the 102 and the 96. In my opinion the difference between the 96 and 102 is more significant than the 102 and K108. It was a bit easier to pivot and slide the katana, but also more work to get it on edge. Edge hold was great (relative to size) on both.

Both will plane up with speed, but neither were floaty.

I would like to have more time on the Katana. I really like both of these skis.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To me it felt like a wider Mantra 102. I didn't get a lot of time on it though.

I have spent more time on the 102 and the 96. In my opinion the difference between the 96 and 102 is more significant than the 102 and K108. It was a bit easier to pivot and slide the katana, but also more work to get it on edge. Edge hold was great (relative to size) on both.

Both will plane up with speed, but neither were floaty.

I would like to have more time on the Katana. I really like both of these skis.
This fits what I was told by a Volkl rep recently. He said the same construction was in the 102 Mantra and the 108 Katana, and mostly the same general feel.

He emphasized the last part because he knew I am a fan of the V-Werks Katanas and V-Werks mantras, and he was letting me know these 108s took after the M5 Mantra side of the family instead.

To me also, the 102, as a stable charger, was surprisingly different than the M5 96; so that difference being greater than between the 102 and 108 makes sense, and makes more sense out of what the rep told me. Thanks.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January