• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
More from 2/28/20 at Grand Targhee.

Avram, first time I really skied with him. He was skiing with great energy at GT. Amazing because he'd had a long week of skiing.
pug gang GT averum edge.jpg pug gang GT averum edge2.jpg pug gang GT averum.jpg
DBos!
pug gang GT dave charge.jpg pug gang GT dave charge2.jpg
Gary
pug gang GT gary edge.jpg pug gang GT gary jim.jpg pug gang GT gary2.jpg
Me and Avram
pug gang GT jim averum.jpg
Justin tips up
pug gang GT justin edge.jpg

pug gang GT justin edge2.jpg
Phil with baby air
pug gang GT phil air.jpg
stylin'
pug gang GT phil edge.jpg
Steven skis with great force. Look at that rooster tail!
pug gang GT steven close.jpg pug gang GT steven far.jpg
Tricia more air
pug gang GT tricia idaho.jpg
Kara up close
pug gang GT kara close.jpg

I have more to post including the Grumps, but today was a powder day at Snowbird and I need my rest because tomorrow's going to be one too!
Had a Bob Mc sighting today at Snowbird and will post photos later to prove it. Actually, Bob spotted me and we skied a few runs together.

Attachments

• pug gang GT kara.jpg
    pug gang GT kara.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
More from 2/28/20 at Grand Targhee.

Averum, first time I really skied with him. He was skiing with great energy at GT. Amazing because he'd had a long week of skiing.
View attachment 95544 View attachment 95545 View attachment 95546
DBos!
View attachment 95547 View attachment 95548
Gary
View attachment 95549 View attachment 95550 View attachment 95551
Me and Averum
View attachment 95552
Justin tips up
View attachment 95553

View attachment 95554
Phil with baby air
View attachment 95556
stylin'
View attachment 95557
Steven skis with great force. Look at that rooster tail!
View attachment 95558 View attachment 95559
Tricia more air
View attachment 95560
Kara up close
View attachment 95562

I have more to post including the Grumps, but today was a powder day at Snowbird and I need my rest because tomorrow's going to be one too!
Had a Bob Mc sighting today at Snowbird and will post photos later to prove it. Actually, Bob spotted me and we skied a few runs together.
Awesome pictures, thanks. BTW, it's Avram, aka aveski

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
20200228_150943.jpg

For those who may be interested, this photo of the majority of the high peaks in the Tetons captures some interesting terrain. The mountains, from right to left, are as follows: South Teton, Cloudveil Dome (in the background and partially obscured by South Teton), Middle Teton, Grand Teton, Mt. Owen, and Teewinot Mountain (very pointed summit). This (west) side of the Grand is where the great majority of climbing ascents and descents of the summit occur along two main routes: Exum Ridge and Owen Spaulding. Climbers typically overnight pre and (often) post climb at various backcountry tent sites just below the saddle (on the east side) between the Grand and Middle Teton and the National Park Service has climbing rangers posted around the clock during peak climbing season in a near-bomb-proof shelter at the edge of the saddle. Ski and snowboard descents from the Grand occur on the opposite (east) face of the mountain. The overwhelming majority of alpinists/skiers/snowboarders arrive in this area from the east side of the range via Garnet Canyon.

Some of the route of the popular Teton Crest backpacking and hiking trail can also be seen in this photo. It's a high elevation trail that traverses mostly along the west side of the range and, if not for the snowpack, could likely be seen from the photographer's vantage point using binoculars (at least the section along the base of the South and, possibly, Middle Teton). From the south, the trail can be accessed via a fairly short walk from Teton Village to Granite Canyon and then a long steep climb up said canyon to the actual Teton Crest Trail. Users can also access the trail from the top station of the Jackson Hole aerial tram or via Teton Pass.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
20200228_150943.jpg

For those who may be interested, this photo of the majority of the high peaks in the Tetons captures some interesting terrain. The mountains, from right to left, are as follows: South Teton, Cloudveil Dome (in the background and partially obscured by South Teton), Middle Teton, Grand Teton, Mt. Owen, and Teewinot Mountain (very pointed summit).
Thanks for the info and nice pic! Here's the version I took at the Gathering... it was a very cloudless sky.

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 238 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
20200228_150943.jpg

For those who may be interested, this photo of the majority of the high peaks in the Tetons captures some interesting terrain. The mountains, from right to left, are as follows: South Teton, Cloudveil Dome (in the background and partially obscured by South Teton), Middle Teton, Grand Teton, Mt. Owen, and Teewinot Mountain (very pointed summit). This (west) side of the Grand is where the great majority of climbing ascents and descents of the summit occur along two main routes: Exum Ridge and Owen Spaulding. Climbers typically overnight pre and (often) post climb at various backcountry tent sites just below the saddle (on the east side) between the Grand and Middle Teton and the National Park Service has climbing rangers posted around the clock during peak climbing season in a near-bomb-proof shelter at the edge of the saddle. Ski and snowboard descents from the Grand occur on the opposite (east) face of the mountain. The overwhelming majority of alpinists/skiers/snowboarders arrive in this area from the east side of the range via Garnet Canyon.

Some of the route of the popular Teton Crest backpacking and hiking trail can also be seen in this photo. It's a high elevation trail that traverses mostly along the west side of the range and, if not for the snowpack, could likely be seen from the photographer's vantage point using binoculars (at least the section along the base of the South and, possibly, Middle Teton). From the south, the trail can be accessed via a fairly short walk from Teton Village to Granite Canyon and then a long steep climb up said canyon to the actual Teton Crest Trail. Users can also access the trail from the top station of the Jackson Hole aerial tram or via Teton Pass.
So is the side we see in the photo the one Bill Briggs skied down in 1973?
AE31EEA6-2FA5-4C5E-B599-B0D234D3D15B.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What a day at Targhee you guys had!

For those that don't realize it, that kind of visibility is NOT at all guaranteed there.

Such an ego-boosting area when you can see!
The snow was incredible and the views were awe inspiring.
We hit some groomers off of Sacajawea early then transitioned to the face under the main lift (name?) and made our way over to the Good Bad and Ugly.
Its pretty rare that I ski bell to bell, but this is one day that I did and still felt like I had legs left.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the info and nice pic! Here's the version I took at the Gathering... it was a very cloudless sky.

View attachment 95564
That's a very nice photo you took from GT. The credit for the photo I used in my post goes to Pugski member Andy Mink. I copied and pasted it from post #144 of this thread. By the way, the Grand Teton is the second highest mountain in WY. The highest is Gannett Peak in the Wind River Range and its summit elevation exceeds the Grand's by ~ 33'.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a very nice photo you took from GT. The credit for the photo I used in my post goes to Pugski member Andy Mink. I copied and pasted it from post #144 of this thread. By the way, the Grand Teton is the second highest mountain in WY. The highest is Gannett Peak in the Wind River Range and its summit elevation exceeds the Grand's by ~ 33'.
Great info! Glad to provide the photo. I planned it that way! :roflmao:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally got a new phone, so I was able to run the JHMR app all day. I only turned on tracking for 2 days, but they were remarkably similar. Vert was 38652 and 38701 feet, horizontal was 19.8 and 20.5 miles.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
So is the side we see in the photo the one Bill Briggs skied down in 1973?
View attachment 95565
The terrain displayed in the photo you posted faces southeast and cannot be seen in the photo I posted upthread. This photo shows the summit of the Grand and the ski tracks left by Bill Briggs during his 1971 first-ever ski descent. The photo only captures a small percentage of the entire descent and most of the remainder transitions to a more east-facing orientation. The body of water in the background is Jackson Lake, by far the largest in Grand Teton National Park.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The body of water in the background is Jackson Lake, by far the largest in Grand Teton National Park.
And a wonderful place for a kayak paddle. Fantastic views, clear water. Stellar. 20140727_122620.jpg

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The snow was incredible and the views were awe inspiring.
We hit some groomers off of Sacajawea early then transitioned to the face under the main lift (name?) and made our way over to the Good Bad and Ugly.
Its pretty rare that I ski bell to bell, but this is one day that I did and still felt like I had legs left.
Now you know why we go up there so often :ogbiggrin: Tossing around getting season passes for next season, which are good for days at quite a few other smaller resorts. Oh, the lift is Dreamcatcher. Those glades under the top of that chair are some of my favorites anywhere!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Last batch of photos from Jax and GT:

Jackson Hole 2/27/20:
Andrew scoping out one of the Alta Chutes (3?).
pug gang jax andrew.jpg
Andrew again lower down.
pug gang jax andrew2.jpg
Bruce dropping with Darrel in foreground.
pug gang jax darrel and bruce.jpg
Cool shot of Darrel in one of the Alta Chutes.
pug gang jax darrel.jpg
Mamie and Meg, these are two intrepid lady Pugs!
pug gang jax mamie and meg.jpg
Again.
pug gang jax mamie and meg2.jpg
L-R: Mamie, Meg and Bruce
pug gang jax mamie.jpg
Mamie nimble as a cat.
pug gang jax mamie2.jpg
Meg dropping.
pug gang jax meg.jpg
Tom getting it done nicely in Alta Chutes
pug gang jax tom gitrdun.jpg
Tom, one of my favorite static shots of the week. The smile of a madman!!
pug gang jax tom smile.jpg
This young fellow is a friend of Kent's and is proudly wearing proof of his ski treeing prowess:ogbiggrin:
pug gang jax tree skier.jpg

Thanks to all for making it a great Gathering Week at Jackson, WY.

Last batch from the beautiful day at Grand Targhee on 2/28/20.
pug gang GT tetons2.jpg pug gang GT tetons.jpg
Avram and Tetons
pug gang GT avrum.jpg
Steven
pug gang GT steven5.jpg pug gang GT steven4.jpg
Andy gets the last word and smile!
pug gang GT andy3.jpg
Love this shot, epitomizes the joy of the Pug Gang!
pug gang GT andy2.jpg pug gang GT andy.jpg

Last edited:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Last batch of photos from Jax and GT:

Jackson Hole 2/27/20:
Andrew scoping out one of the Alta Chutes (3?).
View attachment 95666
Andrew again lower down.
View attachment 95667
Bruce dropping with Darrel in foreground.
View attachment 95668
Cool shot of Darrel in one of the Alta Chutes.
View attachment 95669
Mamie and Meg, these are two intrepid lady Pugs!
View attachment 95670
Again.
View attachment 95671
L-R: Mamie, Meg and Bruce
View attachment 95672
Mamie nimble as a cat.
View attachment 95673
Meg dropping.
View attachment 95674
Tom getting it done nicely in Alta Chutes
View attachment 95675
Tom, one of my favorite static shots of the week. The smile of a madman!!
View attachment 95676
This young fellow is a friend of Kent's and is proudly wearing proof of his ski treeing prowess:ogbiggrin:
View attachment 95677

Thanks to all for making it a great Gathering Week at Jackson, WY.

Last batch from the beautiful day at Grand Targhee on 2/28/20.
View attachment 95678 View attachment 95679
Avram and Tetons
View attachment 95680
Steven
View attachment 95681 View attachment 95682
Andy gets the last word and smile!
View attachment 95683
Love this shot, epitomizes the joy of the Pug Gang!
View attachment 95684 View attachment 95685
Once again, thank you for all the fabulous photos!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally got a new phone, so I was able to run the JHMR app all day. I only turned on tracking for 2 days, but they were remarkably similar. Vert was 38652 and 38701 feet, horizontal was 19.8 and 20.5 miles.

That sounds like your days.

bigguyski

Booting up
Skier
Hello,

I would just like to thank all of you that took the little pugster - ak little tree skier under your wings on the last couple of days of the trip and for anybody that skied with us beforehand. He is more daring and skis faster than myself and his grand parents. I hope he was not to much trouble. He really could not stop talking about how much he enjoyed the experience and how he is looking forward to next year in Aspen. Of course, that is easy for him to say, as he is not paying for it. Now if he would only ski with poles.

Kent

Sponsor