• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Salomon QST 92

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FairToMiddlin: Salomon tweaked the QST again for 2020, but in the 92, at least, the feeling is much the same as QSTs from last year. While it trails some of the more versatile 90-95mm skis in on-piste performance (e.g., Liberty V92), it is both stable and very maneuverable once you point it into some 3D lovin’ in the trees, bumps, and crud. As easily as it changes direction, regardless of the snow it is on or in, sizing up is definitely an option.

Drahtguy Kevin: I was never a fan of the QST series, but that has changed. Salomon improved the tip on this model by adding some cork. It works. The 92 enters turns nicely and finishes with a lively feel. This ski is definitely on the playful side but can arc a turn when asked to. I found the flex even throughout the ski, making it fun in the moguls and trees. I was on a shorter model than I’d prefer and would like to try the next size up.

Insider tip: Surprise! Salomon’s improvements are right on.​

Doug Briggs: The QST 92 has all the makings of a one-ski quiver. I really enjoyed its grip as well as its easygoing attitude. You can relax on this ski and it will give you plenty of latitude to just cruise along in control. Tell it to turn, and Boom! Turns happen.

Insider tip: Well worth considering for a OSQ.​

Who is it for?
Intermediate/advanced skiers who want a friendly choice off piste. Easygoing skiers who like a variety of conditions. The one-ski powderhound who likes to turn on piste.
Who is it not for?
Heavier skiers can overpower this ski when pushed hard. Hard carvers.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
153, 161, 169, 177, 185
Dimensions
130-92-113
Radius
17m@177cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. Updated construction
Binding options
  1. Flat

Last edited by a moderator:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 2020-2022 version are an apparent sleeper ski, quite versatile, and great as a narrow freeride option.
  • Good travel ski - a good ski when exploring and you don't know what your gonna get - questing as it were...
  • Good for resort cruising and carve on all but the hardest snow
  • Float very well for a low 90s waist ski and are enjoyable in pow
  • Lack metal but still feel pretty damp.
  • Predictable and reliable in steeps, technical terrain, especially steep bumps, steep trees, etc...
  • Pretty stable at speed with a high speed limit
Its funny that skis like this are labeled as intermediate/advanced ski, because I think an expert skier in expert terrain gets way more out of this. An advanced skier in advanced terrain would like it too. Though an expert in advanced terrain would probably think it too pedestrian.

In short: a ski that many at a Utah gathering would enjoy for exploring Snowbasin and LCC - during normal winter conditions.

These are going to be reworked again in '23 I hear. I am curious how the new version will look. The 2022s are now available for cheap so if anyone wants a good performing, finesse oriented, narrow freeride ski, for cheap, go get 'em.

Last edited:

Sponsor