• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Utah mini-gathering poll for date and place

what day?

• Feb 15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feb 16

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feb 17

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Mar 7

• Mar 8

• Mar 14

• Mar 15

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • specify another date (weekend or weekday)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a pro at polls, hopefully this is useful.

I'd like to suggest the idea of a one-day Utah mini gathering, but want to try to get a consensus of best date and ski area to ensure a good turnout by all interested parties. It can't between Feb 22 and Mar 1 because that is when many of us will be at Jackson, WY. Would sort of like to do this sooner than later. Poll doesn't seem to allow me to ask both date and venue. Pick your top three date choices. Then manually make a post in this thread with your top three choices for Utah ski area to meet at and number them 1,2,3 with top preference being #1.
Once we pick a date and place we can start thinking about other details. I can bring a grill and table for cooking food at lunch or après ski.

Thanks.

THIS POLL IS DONE. SEE THESE TWO THREADS FOR SLC MEET-UP OPPORTUNITIES.

EVERY WEDNESDAY FOR REMAINDER OF 2020 SEASON: https://www.pugski.com/threads/w-o-w-wasatch-on-wednesdays-2020.18905/

VARIOUS OTHER TIMES/DAYS FOR REMAINDER OF 2020 SEASON: https://www.pugski.com/threads/slc-skier-meet-up-2020.18902/

Last edited:
TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My choices for location are 1. Snowbird, 2. Park City, 3. Alta/Sol/Bright/DV (I could do a day at any of these four with my Wasatch benefit).

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I would be good with almost any weekday too since I'm retired. If many others feel that way maybe I need to make a new poll:)
Also, my suggestions for location in post 2 were only mine. Feel free to suggest others.

By the way, @jmills115 I think I am going to ski Snowbird tomorrow 2/11 from about 9 to 1 PM and will probably hit it some other days this week too.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
I voted, Jim but have no horse in the race. I can take a day off work no problem if people want to get together on a weekday in order to avoid any potential crowds.

For areas:
1) Alta
2) Brighton/Solitude
3) Park City

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d prefer a weekday as well. Any place that is on the Ikon...

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be back in Utah February 26- March 2, and would love to meet up, but I notice there's a gap in dates?

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
any IKON resort is cool with me .

I try to avoid ALL Saturdays , Sundays and wednesdays are all ski days

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be in Utah sometime after the gathering at JH. Not sure of the dates, as I might head to Big Sky after the gathering. Would prefer an Ikon resort.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The only day that would work for us is the 17th. That said, my son has never skied powder (or out west) and Open Snow is saying we may have 10-20" on Monday. I think I'll be helping him pick up his skis a lot and wouldn't want to hold anyone up on a powder day. Have fun guys. I'm going to the Aspen Gathering next year so I'll probably see some of you there.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I voted March 14 and my preference is Brighton. I'm arriving SLC on March 8, staying near TRAX and SkiBus, then skiing Altabird and staying at Snowbird beginning March 9 so that Mon-Fri at Altabird also work for me.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to rent a car at Snowbird Fri night and return it to SLC less than 24 hrs later. With a rental car, we should easily be able to get to Brighton on Sat then make 630 PM flight. It seems like I may have to go into town to get rental which I'm trying to avoid.

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for feedback. I'm now thinking of starting two spinoff threads based on threads folks have going in CO.
1. WOW (Wasatch on Wednesdays): a thread supporting a regularly scheduled meet up every Weds, but possibly at a rotation of different popular resorts such as Alta, Bird, Solitude, Brighton, DV, PCMR, and others by demand. Participation all voluntary and could vary week to week.
2. SLC skier meet up 2020: this would be an ongoing thread for visitors to SLC ski areas (and locals) to post when they are coming, where they are skiing and inquiring whether others are interested in meeting to make some turns together.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not liking any of the resort choices/dates so I'ma pass most likely.

Not spending $100 to ski lcc a day till after basin closes. So late april works better for me. And it's just more pleasant to go up LCC that time of year. Less bullshit.

If it's pcmr Mar 8 or 15 probably is best of the dates identified. Can't make Saturdays kids have ski school at basin.

If it's Brighton, prefer later dates as well like late March.

Last edited:

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll be at Altabird on March 13, 14, 15 and 16th.
I’m in SLC Mar 12-19, so hope to catch up w some of youse. Some work, some play.
My wife & I will be staying in Sandy March 15-21 & skiing Altabird mostly (Ikon, so SolBright possible too). Love to meet up. Also, we're planning on taking the ski bus up, but if anyone has room, we wouldn't say no to a lift!