• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Volkl Kendo 88 quick hit review

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@KingGrump , are you enamored of this current multi radii Kendo? (Is the Pope Catholic?) Might this be the one that turns around the hate mail from your years of Kendo recommendations?

I might have to try this one. Might be time to get over the trauma of the last one I tried some time ago. Plank.

Go and demo it. You may well be perfectly happy with it.
As for me, couple weeks back, I was pulling skis off the wall for an extended stay in VT. The 2018 Kendo ended up in the back for the ride up. The 2020 stayed in the city. I like my skis with a touch more spirit.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Go and demo it. You may well be perfectly happy with it.
As for me, couple weeks back, I was pulling skis off the wall for an extended stay in VT. The 2018 Kendo ended up in the back for the ride up. The 2020 stayed in the city. I like my skis with a touch more spirit.
You just sold me on the 2020.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi Bremmick,
I owned the enforcer 93, it was more friendly in funky snow due to extra width and more rocker, I think the Kendo is a better all around ski, especially for better skiers. Enforcer a bit more forgiving, but less connected.
Haven't skied the brahma in a few gens, sorry. Seems more connected and more "on" the snow oriented than enforcer, but blizzards have often been too stiff for my 163lb of slow skiing finesse...
cheers!
W
I was also going to ask you about the Brahma 88's. If you ever do get a chance to demo them, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Brahma 88's v Kendo 88's. I loved the Brahmas, but haven't run the Kendos. Thanks!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was also going to ask you about the Brahma 88's. If you ever do get a chance to demo them, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Brahma 88's v Kendo 88's. I loved the Brahmas, but haven't run the Kendos. Thanks!

Brahma 88 is heavier(so better suspension), has less rocker and is a bit more on piste biased vs the Kendo 88 which has a bit more versatility in soft snow and off piste. Brahma 88 with a traditional mid size turn radius so not as willing to make the various turn shapes(especially HIGH speed GS turns) like the Kendo 88 with its 3D radius.

Brahma 88 would be the choice if you wanted a powerful, damp ski with more versatility than a traditional carver and Kendo 88 if you wanted a more playful, “light on it’s feet” ski that doesn’t mind going 50mph plus while still being fun at 30mph.

Kendo 88 feels much lighter than it’s predecessor but it’s actually very similar in weight with just the swing weight reduced and a more even flex. More precise and playful now and 3D radius is a game changer.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Brahma 88 is heavier(so better suspension), has less rocker and is a bit more on piste biased vs the Kendo 88 which has a bit more versatility in soft snow and off piste. Brahma 88 with a traditional mid size turn radius so not as willing to make the various turn shapes(especially HIGH speed GS turns) like the Kendo 88 with its 3D radius.

Brahma 88 would be the choice if you wanted a powerful, damp ski with more versatility than a traditional carver and Kendo 88 if you wanted a more playful, “light on it’s feet” ski that doesn’t mind going 50mph plus while still being fun at 30mph.

Kendo 88 feels much lighter than it’s predecessor but it’s actually very similar in weight with just the swing weight reduced and a more even flex. More precise and playful now and 3D radius is a game changer.

Very helpful. Thanks.

I'm pivoting toward the Kastle 89s' now (last year's ). Just tested the 89's and this year's 88s from a friend this week and find I might need either of them in my life. They're actually a bit different, but I'm leaing toward the 2020 89's simply due to last year's discount price and I like that the skis were all business. Did you ever run the Kastle 89 (2020) or 88 (2021) compared to Brahma/Kendo?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Very helpful. Thanks.

I'm pivoting toward the Kästle 89s' now (last year's ). Just tested the 89's and this year's 88s from a friend this week and find I might need either of them in my life. They're actually a bit different, but I'm leaing toward the 2020 89's simply due to last year's discount price and I like that the skis were all business. Did you ever run the Kästle 89 (2020) or 88 (2021) compared to Brahma/Kendo?

I haven’t been on those exact Kastle skis but on others in the past. I’d say they would be closer to the Brahma with their very traditional shape/lack of rocker and very solid, damp feel. With the MX88 or MX89 longer turning radius, they will feel very stable at higher speeds with long effective edge for great harder snow grip.

Know the MX88 is a bit lighter this year and maybe a hair more forgiving but the MX89 should be a bit more damp if the skier is capable in ability. Glad to hear you’ve already tried and liked both and hopefully got a good idea of suitable lengths for you.

I’d lean towards a deal on the MX 89 myself as that should be the better ski for those who are up to the task!

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I haven’t been on those exact Kästle skis but on others in the past. I’d say they would be closer to the Brahma with their very traditional shape/lack of rocker and very solid, damp feel. With the MX88 or MX89 longer turning radius, they will feel very stable at higher speeds with long effective edge for great harder snow grip.

Know the MX88 is a bit lighter this year and maybe a hair more forgiving but the MX89 should be a bit more damp if the skier is capable in ability. Glad to hear you’ve already tried and liked both and hopefully got a good idea of suitable lengths for you.

I’d lean towards a deal on the MX 89 myself as that should be the better ski for those who are up to the task!

Many thanks!
Leaning toward the 89 deal for both the economics and frankly I like them ever so slightly better than the 88's. The 88's are a tad different and definitely more forgiving and offers its use to more skier levels, whereas the 89's are simply serious skis. It's weird to say this, but that ski simply owns the skier. You give it what you can and it seems to have an unlimited level of acceptance of more and more.

I'm doing one more 89 test run on first chair groomers tomorrow morning. Plan to run short and GS and then some dad-level freestyle (not Newschooler). Presumably that will go well and the order will go in.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Weight is your friend in the resort so I’d always favor the heavier option myself even though the MX 89 isn’t really that heavy.
Definitely more Street cred too from all the other freestyle Dads......haha

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Spent the past few weeks on my Experience 88HDs (2017 model with carbon alloy tip), current year Enforcer 88s and current year Brahma 88s. All skis were in similar conditions @ Killington (my home mountain). I am 5’6” and 146 lbs and a high level skier. All skis were 165 or so cm with generally equal turn radius - but obviously different shapes and construction. The Experiences have never been my favorite ski, but they carve great and are great on flat and fast hard pack snow. In soft snow, bumps and trees, got to work them so the tails don’t get hung up. The Enforcer 88s are a great soft snow ski but I wouldn’t call them a carving ski. To me they ski like a narrow version of the Enforcer 100 - which is my ”western” ski. I found the tips to be too light. The Brahmas are out of this world. They are a carving machine and very nimble in the trees and bumps. For me the Brahma 88 is a phenomenal ski - yes I bought them!

Hootbmx

Booting up
Skier
Many thanks!
Leaning toward the 89 deal for both the economics and frankly I like them ever so slightly better than the 88's. The 88's are a tad different and definitely more forgiving and offers its use to more skier levels, whereas the 89's are simply serious skis. It's weird to say this, but that ski simply owns the skier. You give it what you can and it seems to have an unlimited level of acceptance of more and more.

I'm doing one more 89 test run on first chair groomers tomorrow morning. Plan to run short and GS and then some dad-level freestyle (not Newschooler). Presumably that will go well and the order will go in.

Hey noobski, what was your assessment with your short turn, GS turn, and dad-level freestyle runs on the MX89? I just got the MX89 this year and have been really impressed. Even got some hooting and hollering from the skiers on the chairlift when I was coming down some runs at Snowbasin this past weekend which hasn't happened in a long time! I love the MX89 so much I'm thinking of replacing an ageing Bonafide with the MX99 but not sure if there is enough difference between the MX89 and MX99 to justify it....never been on the MX99.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Personally, I would not replace the Bonafide with an MX99 if you already on the MX89. The two MXs are similar enough and the tail of the MX99 is likely going to be more difficult to handle off trail with less rise than your current skis. The MX89 will be great when it hasn’t snowed for a few days.

IMO Snowbasin presents so many different possible conditions that I would be seeking a very versatile ski for that spot in the quiver. Fortunately, there are a ton of good candidates (Enforcer 100/104, Mantra, Ranger 99, etc) if you do not get along with the Bonafide. Disregard this advice if you primarily ski on trail or are highly skilled at dealing with a little more demanding tail since the MX99 is a very rewarding ride.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Brahma is referred to as the “race dad ski” in one shop I go to. For reference, the iRally was the “Level 2 ski instructor ski”. (Don’t know where the new eRally ends up)

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey noobski, what was your assessment with your short turn, GS turn, and dad-level freestyle runs on the MX89? I just got the MX89 this year and have been really impressed. Even got some hooting and hollering from the skiers on the chairlift when I was coming down some runs at Snowbasin this past weekend which hasn't happened in a long time! I love the MX89 so much I'm thinking of replacing an ageing Bonafide with the MX99 but not sure if there is enough difference between the MX89 and MX99 to justify it....never been on the MX99.
Short turn - decent to great. We ski 400 vert so it's run dependent.

GS - outstanding all day long. Wish I had 3x the runway.

Freestyle - it was 0degrees, so some painful landings, but still fun and secure.

The short turn takes some user talent but very fluid when you can get into it. AS you know It's a high level demanding ski.

Note, I skied 2021 88's and the short turn was much easier to get into position. The 88s are slightly more forgiving, but I think you give up the seriousness of the 89s which I wanted.. I like the 89's though because I'm midwest and want a serious ski that can handle the midwest groomer, cold, and wet snow conditions. We almost never get pow. The 89 excels beyond most everything else I've skied other than the Brahma 88's.

Comparing the 99's here in midwest would be hard. I haven't done it. I ski Rossi black ops 98s for my mid west all around fun ski and that's good for here because of the double tip and heavier ski with good carving. I also ski an older QST for out west. Both of those skis feel a lot different than the 89 and the 89's to me are so intense and confident I'd feel fine frontsiding the 89's out west as well and then picking a true all mountain 99-108 to cover the western pow where I would suggest the 89 isn't it's highest and best use. Outwest, I would take a hard look at the Kastle 99's out of respect for the ski but I wouldrun them against the QST, Rustler, Declivity, etc...I would think the Kastle at 99 might be great, but not "on top" like the Blizzard's or Armadas.

Hootbmx

Booting up
Skier
Personally, I would not replace the Bonafide with an MX99 if you already on the MX89. The two MXs are similar enough and the tail of the MX99 is likely going to be more difficult to handle off trail with less rise than your current skis. The MX89 will be great when it hasn’t snowed for a few days.

IMO Snowbasin presents so many different possible conditions that I would be seeking a very versatile ski for that spot in the quiver. Fortunately, there are a ton of good candidates (Enforcer 100/104, Mantra, Ranger 99, etc) if you do not get along with the Bonafide. Disregard this advice if you primarily ski on trail or are highly skilled at dealing with a little more demanding tail since the MX99 is a very rewarding ride.
Awesome feedback Kyle, I appreciate that! I really do like the 2019 Bonafides I have and favor them to the Enforcer 100s that I have skied. My Bonafides took a beating this season skiing off trail with the dismal snow conditions so I thought about just making them my permanent rock skis and replacing them with something else.

Hootbmx

Booting up
Skier
Short turn - decent to great. We ski 400 vert so it's run dependent.

GS - outstanding all day long. Wish I had 3x the runway.

Freestyle - it was 0degrees, so some painful landings, but still fun and secure.

The short turn takes some user talent but very fluid when you can get into it. AS you know It's a high level demanding ski.

Note, I skied 2021 88's and the short turn was much easier to get into position. The 88s are slightly more forgiving, but I think you give up the seriousness of the 89s which I wanted.. I like the 89's though because I'm midwest and want a serious ski that can handle the midwest groomer, cold, and wet snow conditions. We almost never get pow. The 89 excels beyond most everything else I've skied other than the Brahma 88's.

Comparing the 99's here in midwest would be hard. I haven't done it. I ski Rossi black ops 98s for my mid west all around fun ski and that's good for here because of the double tip and heavier ski with good carving. I also ski an older QST for out west. Both of those skis feel a lot different than the 89 and the 89's to me are so intense and confident I'd feel fine frontsiding the 89's out west as well and then picking a true all mountain 99-108 to cover the western pow where I would suggest the 89 isn't it's highest and best use. Outwest, I would take a hard look at the Kästle 99's out of respect for the ski but I wouldrun them against the QST, Rustler, Declivity, etc...I would think the Kästle at 99 might be great, but not "on top" like the Blizzard's or Armadas.
Great to hear how they skied for you noobski! Just curious where are you in the Midwest? I grew up northern Ohio and skied the hills in Michigan before moving to Utah 10 years ago.

Sponsor

Staff online