• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 14th of 15th Annual May at A-Basin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
“the infirmed.” Pfft. ;) Altitude caught up with me yesterday.
I told Phil there was a reason my avatar says “trying not to face plant” but he replied, “you even failed at that!” LOL. Instead I rocked a massive back-seat butt plant. :roflmao:

The best part about it?? I got Jimmy all to myself yesterday. :ogbiggrin:

But sad I missed the skiing off Montezuma yesterday, as it was a bit crunchy on Tuesday and it looked glorious yesterday.
I wish I was there to share the fun! Squaw was good yesterday but it's fading fast.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We had a great day today at ABasin. Another warm(er) bluebird day with morning crusties softening up quickly. Amazingly, the entire group skied together for a large part of the day, but then @Tricia, @Luvbug, and I skied together for some runs and found some nice bumps. No skiing pictures but I got a shot of Luvbug, @Gaby, and me at lunch.

65672B26-B882-4FEB-ABE9-DB21209AB5C5.jpeg
After skiing, we hung out in the parking lot. @Luvbug found a comfy spot to take a nap.
01497F1A-E37C-4556-A332-BBF07998516B.jpeg
Yesterday, I took a rest day to acclimate more and soothe an achy knee. I drove to Leadville and spent the day walking around town, enjoying some empanadas at a Cuban cafe, walking a bit at Tennessee Pass, and then driving up a dirt road (state Rt 3) to Matchless Mine, an abandoned silver mine from the 1800’s. The scenery was spectacular and I spent some time hanging out in the back of the pickup truck enjoying the quiet.
F3448F10-42C6-4310-ADA0-89B5A87C816D.jpeg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We had a great day today at ABasin. Another warm(er) bluebird day with morning crusties softening up quickly. Amazingly, the entire group skied together for a large part of the day, but then @Tricia, @Luvbug, and I skied together for some runs and found some nice bumps. No skiing pictures but I got a shot of Luvbug, @Gaby, and me at lunch.

View attachment 132738
After skiing, we hung out in the parking lot. @Luvbug found a comfy spot to take a nap.
View attachment 132739
Yesterday, I took a rest day to acclimate more and soothe an achy knee. I drove to Leadville and spent the day walking around town, enjoying some empanadas at a Cuban cafe, walking a bit at Tennessee Pass, and then driving up a dirt road (state Rt 3) to Matchless Mine, an abandoned silver mine from the 1800’s. The scenery was spectacular and I spent some time hanging out in the back of the pickup truck enjoying the quiet.
View attachment 132736
I have more of those comfy "sleeping" pads if anyone needs them and is in the Reno area.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

...and? I haven't been there yet, but curious!

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
...and? I haven't been there yet, but curious!
Best empanadas I’ve ever had. Seriously. When I stopped to examine the menu outside, a woman stopped and said to me, “Everything here is delicious.” I liked the big picnic tables outside where I could just sit and enjoy the sun.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Phil is such a brat. My lens popped out and I couldn’t get it back in; he was fixing it and put it on the helmet and told me to put it on and put the googles down; I should’ve known by then NOT to listen to him! LOL.
Nice view of the ski area.

Is there something wrong here that I missed? :rolleyes:

Luvbug

Booting up
Skier
Unbelievably great time this weekend. Blue sky, soft snow and great friends. As the cap to a *very* strange season - so very grateful for the smiles, laughs, and stories. Here's to lifelong friends, snow and another fantastic trip out west.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Love the cornice pictures! You even got Gary to show the bottom of his skis!
@Gary Stolt caught some air! So much stoke on this trip! Small crew but tons of fun!
Looks like we'll see you next week @mdf

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Everybody looking good!:wave:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great to see and ski everyone Friday!

I was late for the photoshoot but did get some shots of the wonderful conditions:

PXL_20210430_224300105.PORTRAIT.jpg

Lenawee:
PXL_20210430_191516467.jpg

East Wall:
PXL_20210430_191610983.jpg

The comfy new Pali lift!
PXL_20210430_211816583.jpg

Super heavy-duty construction. It seems like the materials are the same thickness at the LP triples.
PXL_20210430_211952332.jpg

Pali was firm and crunchy in the morning. Sloppy slushy in the afternoon.
PXL_20210430_212016654.PORTRAIT.jpg

End of day Exhibition. I missed my slush bump happy hour buddy, @mdf. Hope to see you next year!
PXL_20210430_220827294.jpg

Thanks for making it happen @Philpug and @Tricia!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink