• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Big Bear, Mountain High, Waterman, Baldy Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Popeye Cahn It occurred to me that while NYE will be very busy, the morning after is often pretty quiet until noon… so some good AM skiing.
@Pat AKA mustski thoughts on parking at the Upper lot at Summit on Saturday? How early to arrive to bag a spot would you guess? (and yes, I'll pay $20 to save a shuttle ride lol)

It might be crazy due to the snow tonight/tomorrow, but what the heck...

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pat AKA mustski thoughts on parking at the Upper lot at Summit on Saturday? How early to arrive to bag a spot would you guess? (and yes, I'll pay $20 to save a shuttle ride lol)

It might be crazy due to the snow tonight/tomorrow, but what the heck...
The roads WILL be crazy! If you are coming up Friday night, leave yourself lots of time and check Caltrans first for best route. I recommend getting to the lot at Summit between 7:30 and 8:00. All the early birds will head there. It will take awhile for the mountain itself to get crowded so the morning skiing should be decent

ETA: the roads have been the most insane, I have ever seen them. Gas up before you come up the mountain in case gas trucks don’t make it up and bring whatever food you need. The grocery stores have been depleted

Last edited:

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yep - As good as it is for Socal - I wouldn't even attempt a 1 day trip up BB. Just not worth the hassle.
Well, I would be skiing (hopefully) on Friday as well.
The roads WILL be crazy! If you are coming up Friday night, leave yourself lots of time and check Caltrans first for best route. I recommend getting to the lot at Summit between 7:30 and 8:00. All the early birds will head there. It will take awhile for the mountain itself to get crowded so the morning skiing should be decent

ETA: the roads have been the most insane, I have ever seen them. Gas up before you come up the mountain in case gas trucks don’t make it up and bring whatever food you need. The grocery stores have been depleted
Yeah I figure that will be the case and would likely come early on Friday to at least have some slope time during the day and possibly evening some before the the parade. Up in the air at this point...

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
IMO, unless you live in Big Bear, the crowds & traffic make peak holiday visits a nightmare... regardless of time of day
YMMV

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yep - As good as it is for Socal - I wouldn't even attempt a 1 day trip up BB. Just not worth the hassle.
I hope to head up sometime after the weekend to avoid the craziness this weekend

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO, unless you live in Big Bear, the crowds & traffic make peak holiday visits a nightmare... regardless of time of day
YMMV
I agree. We haven't been out there at all. However, the morning of New Year's Day is a unique animal because everyone is pretty hung over and doesn't come out to play until noonish! It's not a normal weekday but it's much less than a normal weekend morning. In any case, it does take a couple of hours for everyone to get parked in remote parking, booted up, and shuttle over.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, we got no snow last night. It seems the storm will bypass BB altogether. :doh:Hopefully Baldy is still getting hit.

Last edited:

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree. We haven't been out there at all. However, the morning of New Year's Day is a unique animal because everyone is pretty hung over and doesn't come out to play until noonish! It's not a normal weekday but it's much less than a normal weekend morning. In any case, it does take a couple of hours for everyone to get parked in remote parking, booted up, and shuttle over.
I stayed home today, it wasn't worth my effort and I had one day of crowds a couple of weeks ago that left a bad taste in my mouth. I would consider an early morning start tomorrow to bag some decent time on the slopes but my cycling has suffered since September so I think I'll do that. Sunday might be an option, people would typically be leaving after a long weekend, no?

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I stayed home today, it wasn't worth my effort and I had one day of crowds a couple of weeks ago that left a bad taste in my mouth. I would consider an early morning start tomorrow to bag some decent time on the slopes but my cycling has suffered since September so I think I'll do that. Sunday might be an option, people would typically be leaving after a long weekend, no?
There's a good chance BBMR sells out this weekend. IKON might be valid but pretty crowded nonetheless.

Road bike or Mtn Bike?

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
There's a good chance BBMR sells out this weekend. IKON might be valid but pretty crowded nonetheless.

Road bike or Mtn Bike?
Road usually, though I do hit the gravel when I can.

I bought into Ikon this year, and I'm wondering if was worth it lol As scrappy and limited Mtn High is, it's cheap, easy and a decent value for the buck.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier

I bought into Ikon this year, and I'm wondering if was worth it lol As scrappy and limited Mtn High is, it's cheap, easy and a decent value for the buck.
I'm road too. Ride 1-2 times a week. About 40-80 a week depends on if I get out twice a week.

I'm in Riverside and I try to ski BBMR about 5-8 days and Mammoth 5-10 days a year. In fact, I might need a roommate for Mammoth Mar 20-22 for 3 nights if you're interested

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No. I guarantee that if you get there at opening, you will have a great 2-3 hr window … then go riding! Keep in mind that the majority will have to line up to remote park, park, boot up, line up for shuttle, shuttle and then climb up to chair 1. Add to that everyone who partied tonight and won’t even try until after 11:00 AM…. We live here and haven’t been since before Christmas but we are hitting it tomorrow. Tradition!

Last edited:

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
No. I guarantee that if you get there at opening, you will have a great 2-3 hr window … then go riding! Keep in mind that the majority will have to line up to remote park, park, boot up, line up for shuttle, shuttle and then climb up to chair 1. Add to that everyone who partied tonight and won’t even try until after 11:00 AM…. We live here and haven’t been since before Christmas but we are hitting it tomorrow. Tradition!
Enjoy! I might go on Monday if I can since I am off (Holiday fell on a Saturday, so company pushed the holiday to a Monday!), and then the crowds will be long gone!
I'm road too. Ride 1-2 times a week. About 40-80 a week depends on if I get out twice a week.

I'm in Riverside and I try to ski BBMR about 5-8 days and Mammoth 5-10 days a year. In fact, I might need a roommate for Mammoth Mar 20-22 for 3 nights if you're interested
I normally try for roughly that in a week, but since September by routine has slipped big time. I'm in SD and while I would consider this offer in March, the following week I'm in Tahoe for a week during (egads) spring break. There is room if you are up that way between the 27th and the 1st.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier

@MountainMonster truth be told, I love BBMR. But coming 150 miles up from SD, the simplicity of getting to MH with a kid in tow has it's merits even though the terrain is limited, skiing for skiing's sake. I really wish I were closer... sigh

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Enjoy! I might go on Monday if I can since I am off (Holiday fell on a Saturday, so company pushed the holiday to a Monday!), and then the crowds will be long gone!

I normally try for roughly that in a week, but since September by routine has slipped big time. I'm in SD and while I would consider this offer in March, the following week I'm in Tahoe for a week during (egads) spring break. There is room if you are up that way between the 27th and the 1st.
We’ll be at Snow Summit on Monday also if you want to take a few laps together. We’ll be in Tahoe in March if you want to meet up then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online