• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Big Bear, Mountain High, Waterman, Baldy Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I’m not being judgy but this is a legitimate question. We are new to Big Bear/Snow Summit this year (we’ve never skied there until this year, but have gone up 3 weekends thus far) I‘m genuinely curious why there is such a high percentage of the women skiers and boarders with full make up and even fake eyelashes? Like they are going clubbing or just got off the set of filming a Hollywood movie. It‘s not a problem for me, but I’m more used to most people just getting up early, dashing to the mountain looking like they just woke up and enjoying the hill. These people must have spent 2 hours getting their faces on. Is this just a southern CA phenomenon, because I haven’t noticed it this widespread anywhere else. Putting a helmet and goggles over your best hair and face seems to be contradictory. Anyways, just a curiosity for the veterans of BBMR.
For what its worth, the snow was nice up there today And the crowds were not bad at all.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I‘m genuinely curious why there is such a high percentage of the women skiers and boarders with full make up and even fake eyelashes? Like they are going clubbing or just got off the set of filming a Hollywood movie. It‘s not a problem for me, but I’m more used to most people just getting up early, dashing to the mountain looking like they just woke up and enjoying the hill. These people must have spent 2 hours getting their faces on. Is this just a southern CA phenomenon, because I haven’t noticed it this widespread anywhere else.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! hooo boy! welcome to LA man.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
I‘m genuinely curious why there is such a high percentage of the women skiers and boarders with full make up and even fake eyelashes?
I'm not a BBMR regular but am familiar with the look. It's their age, relationship status (or lack of) and the geographical location. Would be a SoCal thing especially in certain areas. On a similar tangent I always wonder why people wear a ton of perfume to go hiking or to the beach....

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hit up Baldy for my first ski day yesterday and it was a challenging, but beautiful day. You could see Catalina in one direction & way out into the desert the other way. Temps were above freezing most of the day, but a stiff breeze made it feel colder. They opened chair 3 and the groomers were rock hard so I just had to turn scrape my way down. I got in 2 runs and then they closed chair 3 for wind, so only the beginner chair 2 was open for skiing. I did drills for a few laps and then they opened chair 4 for the first time this season.

The snow under the chair was nearly untracked on my first ride up, but it was a thick crust on top on 4-6 inches of softer snow underneath, so that when you broke through the crust your ski got stuck in a crust rut and made it difficult to turn! I could have used a ski with a whole lot more rocker. Since chair 4 is the southeast facing aspect, some of it finally softened up in the sun and made for some nice turns. However, as soon as you hit tree shadows it was cold enough to still be frozen. I’d call it “variable conditions” ogwink The 2 groomers on 4 were actually pretty nice but coverage was thin & probably won’t last too much longer until they get more snow.

In the afternoon they closed chair 4 & reopened 3. I took one more run on 3 and it was still rock hard, so I called it a day with my legs completely wiped. It was still a good day because I was skiing, first day out & trying remember movement patterns, etc. but I sure hope they get more snow because coverage is just adequate at this point.

Mt. San Antonio from chair 3
D8429119-407C-45C2-9A50-74D95A2D1E06.jpeg
Chair 3 coverage, about half way up
46F49230-8F45-489F-9B87-21E923218B18.jpeg
Chair 4 coverage, best off piste skiing to the left (skiers right) of the chair
6926C045-B111-4B75-A881-D63F72401EE0.jpeg

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
MLK weekend at Snow Summit was crazy. Saturday and Sunday lift tickets sold out, both days 45 min lines for lifts 1&2, slopes were too crowded for sure. Didn’t stick around for Monday...

Then we wonder why the retention rate for new skiers is about 7% IIRC. Most start on holiday breaks ...

:nono:

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
MLK weekend at Snow Summit was crazy. Saturday and Sunday lift tickets sold out, both days 45 min lines for lifts 1&2, slopes were too crowded for sure. Didn’t stick around for Monday...
How is the snow holding up?

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So much for holiday black outs= less people:doh::huh:

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So much for holiday black outs= less people:doh::huh:
Except that BBMR and others are unlimited and aren’t blacked out, even for the base pass. I would guess this situation would actually make matters worse at those places with no blackouts b/c more people will flock to fewer places instead of say going to Mammoth on a blackout weekend. 28763189-487C-41A4-BE4D-F1E6CC84C04C.jpeg

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Except that BBMR and others are unlimited and aren’t blacked out, even for the base pass. I would guess this situation would actually make matters worse at those places with no blackouts b/c more people will flock to fewer places instead of say going to Mammoth on a blackout weekend. View attachment 155687
Forgot about that!

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Slushy. Lots of brown spots showing up. Need snow badly. Hopefully they can start making snow again if the weather will cooperate.
Thanks, that is what I was afraid of. I see warm weather and no snow was at least 2 more weeks. I hope by early/mid February we see snow again but that would only get us to what maybe middle March? The drought is back..

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
BB Locals: Superbowl Sunday, is it typically quieter because of the game or does it even play into the crowd factor? I don't care about football much and would really rather ski...

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
BB Locals: Superbowl Sunday, is it typically quieter because of the game or does it even play into the crowd factor? I don't care about football much and would really rather ski...
I went a few years ago on SB Sunday and it wasnt bad but then again the snow was about what we have now. I'd guess IF we get snow prior to then(doubtful), it WOULD be busy unfortunately

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Super Bowl doesn't start until 3:30. Everybody skis in the morning so it is still relatively busy. It does depend on how good the snow is.
If relatively busy is what I experienced on the 22nd, I am fine with that. Though maybe now that the Rams are playing the LA crowds will stay home to prep and party for the game... I'll come up early either way ;-)

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
If relatively busy is what I experienced on the 22nd, I am fine with that. Though maybe now that the Rams are playing the LA crowds will stay home to prep and party for the game... I'll come up early either way ;-)
Well to be fair, Jan 22 started really slow on the mountain because of the small ice/snow event overnight the night before causing all the car wrecks on the way up the mountain. A lot of people didn’t even make it up to the resort until midday. Lift tickets were sold out but the parking lot was fairly empty and lift lines short until after lunch that day. after lunch it was back to 45 min lift lines at Snow Summit on chair 1&2. This past Sunday (30th) crowds were pretty light on the mountain-maybe because of football. Not sure as Sundays are usually slower than Saturdays anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.