• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2021-2022 Big Sky Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
For those not following Big Sky closely, SwiftCurrent (the primary lift from base) was rebuilt over the summer (with some prework the first summer of Covid). IT's now a bubble 6 instead of the quad before ... higher speed. Just opened on Thanksgiving.

BTW, was hot cocoa guy filling from a camelbak or something?

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Coco guy had what appeared to be a custom ghost busters tank, insulated and pressurized. 4-5 gallons.
Those waiting in the ticket lines got hash browns.
Despite the warm weather a good opening weekend with the bowl opening yesterday afternoon.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
No cocoa or hash browns this morning, but the 3 to 6 inches of fresh snow that fell overnight was welcome. The bowl skied really well with the 6 inches on top of hardpack, Mr K and Tippy's were slick in the lower reaches. I talked to someone from Mountain Operations who believes that a few more trails should open by Friday.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Old Swifty is reported to be on its way to Sugarloaf. That fits with what I was told two years ago that it would not be repurposed at Big Sky. I think that confirms what some have guessed previously. Old Swifty was not good enough to be the next major lift addition on the north side. It will probably be heated, covered, and direct drive like New Swifty.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
Old Swifty is reported to be on its way to Sugarloaf. That fits with what I was told two years ago that it would not be repurposed at Big Sky. I think that confirms what some have guessed previously. Old Swifty was not good enough to be the next major lift addition on the north side. It will probably be heated, covered, and direct drive like New Swifty.
Agreed. We’re going bubbles … all over de place.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Big Sky seems to have finally turned the corner between natural snow and snow making a number of lifts and trails have opened between yesterday and today. Some of the tree runs had great early season coverage. Such a nice change from Mr K all day.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not a good sign to see a brand new lift down for maintenance . . .

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
This was a hurtful day. Pulled into Explorer Lot and saw this line. All the rides I took on on Swift Current 6 stopped at least once. Like old times. Looks like Thunder Wolf opens tomorrow. I’m just happy to be skiing. 10pm and the snow is coming down. Wishing everyone safe and happy riding!

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thunderwolf opening today "officially" simplified my ski day. Some decent powder stashes were to be had despite the massive lines at Swifty. It could just be repeated wishful thinking, but I heard Moonlight may be open tomorrow.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
Savored Elk Park Ridge after the much needed snowfall overnight! Ramcharger was a walk on all day which is where I happily stayed. I wouldn’t deal with that Swifty line until after 3pm. Swift Current’s queue line backing right up to the blue tube magic carpet line makes no sense. It’s a sea of bodies. Appearances matter and I think they’ll have to address this soon. Husband skied over to Moonlight where snow was deep off the sides of Blue Moon bowl and Bad Dog. Iron Horse however, went down for over 30 minutes … while he was on it. Patrol skied the line and stopped at each occupied chair to tell people about the stoppage. He’s a pretty chill guy and I guess others were as well. The guests in the chair in front of him began singing and the guy behind him was streaming a football game. We lived another day and got to ski some good stuff, so not too shabby despite the chair woes.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Patrol skied the line and stopped at each occupied chair to tell people about the stoppage.
They did that on Ramcharger when I was there and it had a long stoppage. Nice service for stuck folks... I wonder if other places do that too?

NickD

Putting on skis
Skier
today:
- south wall in the Bowl was skiing really well!
- Liberty Bowl .... not so much, but there are pockets of great snow and Screaming Left was wonderful.
- Bighorn... should be closed.
- Africa's bumps and the Ram 8 lift line are also skiing really well for bumps.
- Upper morning star... still some really nice pockets of wind whip

Status
Not open for further replies.