• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2021-2022 Big Sky Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I will be in Big Sky the week of January 23rd if anyone wants to meetup for some turns.

Glad to hear the snowpack situation is improving although it sounds like there’s a ways to go still to be “typical”.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Talis, Scree aka shark fins. They are everywhere even with average snow fall years. If you know the snow settles versus where it’s blown off you’ll do far better with your bases.
You can lap most runs without destroying your skis if you know where to go. A few feet left or right and say hello to your new rock skis.
As T man says, just treat em as beaters, it’s easier, they are tools not jewels !

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We are traveling to Big Sky again in February and my friend and I are going to take a morning private lesson. Does anyone have recommendations for a L3 or higher instructor? We can digest technical talk. We can also throw inappropriate jokes around so a sense of humor is always a bonus.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ursula….. meh ! Don’t get me wrong, I think she’s good but I think your looking for someone different.
Call the SS and ask, I think what your looking for is one of the clinician, dev or demo team staff from the caliber your used to at your home hill. Just my .02

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok thanks all, my friend is setting this up. My husband is going to ask around in his circles, too.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Just got back from a week at BS. They really could use more snow. Getting pretty scratchy down low in some areas. Most of higher elevation stuff still has decent coverage for the most part. You really have to do a lot of "Turn Shopping" to keep in the decent stuff.
I did not ride the tram. A Ski Patrolman told me not to bother going up, they have it open to keep the open acreage count high.
BTW, does the Yellowstone Club use the BS Nastar course? I see Bode ran it on on Saturday.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Agree @Black Dog - just finished a few days. Everyone talking about the lack of snow, and many of the groomers are really firm in most spots. The glades runs in the main area are also pretty chewed up. On the other hand -bluebird days!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree @Black Dog - just finished a few days. Everyone talking about the lack of snow, and many of the groomers are really firm in most spots. The glades runs in the main area are also pretty chewed up. On the other hand -bluebird days!
So in other words, we are leaving the same conditions at Snowbasin to ski at Big Sky? Hopefully some storms will start getting into these areas again soon. The 10 day forecast here in Utah is bleak.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Folks from around the country have different expectations People from the upper Midwest think it’s good but it’s certainly not a powder chasers paradise. Look for slopes that get less traffic, are refilled from above (bowl) or adjacent trees.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
The fresh snow over night really helped conditions at Big Sky. Milkman provided some good tips. I will add the Dakota area is very thin with many lines with mandatory rock skiing.
On3p Core Shot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SkierGolferNH

Putting on skis
Instructor
Heading to Big Sky for the PSIA National Academy. Never been there. One question for veterans. On Saturday morning I have a 6am flight. Should I just take a 4am shuttle or go stay at the airport the night before? The glitch on the latter is that it's the last night of this big party and I'd prefer not to miss it.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Heading to Big Sky for the PSIA National Academy. Never been there. One question for veterans. On Saturday morning I have a 6am flight. Should I just take a 4am shuttle or go stay at the airport the night before? The glitch on the latter is that it's the last night of this big party and I'd prefer not to miss it.
4am shuttle may be tight for a 6am flight. You'll see signs recommending getting to airport two hours early, but I've found that to be garbage - 90 minutes ample and 60 mins probably doable, but keep in mind they have limited ground staff because they have only a couple of windows a day for checkin. Figure an hour to the airport from Big Sky.

While I haven't confronted the big party scenario, when I've had morning flights I've booked at the holiday inn that's 10 mins from airport - they provide a free shuttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.