• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2021-2022 Big Sky Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just hope SC6 is ready to roll in 60ish days !
On my last visit to the base area it appears they have a lot of work to do and hearing some parts aren’t even in the states yet.

The other massive undertaking this year that nobody’s talking about is all of the new snow making lines running up to swifty, which aren’t even fully connected or finished.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I see other resorts installing haul rope and hanging chairs. I share your concerns. Since failure to complete it on time would be a catastrophe for the resort I’m hopeful it’s under control.
That said, We’re waiting to come out until late December this year JIC.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
On my last visit to the base area it appears they have a lot of work to do and hearing some parts aren’t even in the states yet.

The other massive undertaking this year that nobody’s talking about is all of the new snow making lines running up to swifty, which aren’t even fully connected or finished.

Yikes. The snow on the ground is pretty, but not helpful to finishing up!

Any idea if the plan is to connect snowmaking this winter? I could see that being a "lay the pipes while we're digging, but connect next year" sort of thing.

Wondering what parts aren't in US - chairs are there and so is haul rope.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier

Any idea of where the snow making will be added? Increasing the skiers on SC by 50% will definitely exacerbate issues at the top and down the highest trafficked runs including the trail to Powder Seeker and Mr K.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Any idea of where the snow making will be added? Increasing the skiers on SC by 50% will definitely exacerbate issues at the top and down the highest trafficked runs including the trail to Powder Seeker and Mr K.
FWIW, Big Sky claims 25% increase in capacity, presumably because wider chair spacing (like PowderSeeker, which basically didn't change uphill capacity).

What the connector from Swifty to Powderseeker needs is some cutting into the side of the hill to widen it - it gets pretty chaotic at peak times (e.g., first run of day for lessons)

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
FWIW, Big Sky claims 25% increase in capacity, presumably because wider chair spacing (like PowderSeeker, which basically didn't change uphill capacity).

What the connector from Swifty to Powderseeker needs is some cutting into the side of the hill to widen it - it gets pretty chaotic at peak times (e.g., first run of day for lessons)
I think the ability to reduce wind holds and reduce equipment related delays will improve overall thruput (capacity).
I agree the trail needs to be widened but maybe the new snow making will make it easier for everyone to negotiate. Hope they’re doing both!
BTW I’m confident it’s a 6 place instead of an 8 is due to the bottlenecks at the top and to a lesser extent at the bottom.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
A short report from BS Mountain Village. The cable is on Swifty 2.0 and lookslike the splice is complete. Lots of smoke recently from burning slash piles in the Conga Line or Madagascar area. There are some forlorn piles of man made snow on the upper reaches of Tippy's waiting for colder weather.
Cable On Swifty.jpg

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
^ BS website has video of the cable splice from a week or two ago - hopefully they completed it at the same time!

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Great to see the snowfall.
great to see the Swifty progress.
I see Ikon pass holders are complaining about their tram up charge.
I know locals have complained about the new pricing on season passes.
I know the high alpine can only handle a limited amount of traffic.
If both sides are unhappy, Maybe it means BS got it about right.

Spnole

Getting on the lift
Skier
For anyone interested, it looks like Red Lodge is doing their lift evacuation training on the main webcam right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor