• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
For fun here are the closing dates for Pali Lift (kind of a bellwether of the transition from prime spring skiing to late-spring/early summer conditions)

2011: May 30
2012: April 2
2013: May 15
2014: May 20
2015: May 25
2016: May 22
2017: May 14
2018: May 9
2019: June 2
2020: Covid (did run the chair a few days during the limited reopening but not the terrain)
2021: May 16
2022: May 8

Outside of the terrible 2012 spring, usually 2nd or 3rd weekend in May all dependent on the run-off / snowmelt / wet-slab risk.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
For fun here are the closing dates for Pali Lift (kind of a bellwether of the transition from prime spring skiing to late-spring/early summer conditions)

2011: May 30
2012: April 2
2013: May 15
2014: May 20
2015: May 25
2016: May 22
2017: May 14
2018: May 9
2019: June 2
2020: Covid (did run the chair a few days during the limited reopening but not the terrain)
2021: May 16
2022: May 8

Outside of the terrible 2012 spring, usually 2nd or 3rd weekend in May all dependent on the run-off / snowmelt / wet-slab risk.

I remember most of those years. 2010-2011 season was the best by far. None since have been that good. The spring of 2019 was the best spring in memory. Huge avalanche cycle though. It snowed into June. It was great.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
This has to be the windiest spring in a decade. Just so consistently windy. We have had strong spring storms in years past but this year it has just been very windy for many days and no really strong spring snowtorms so its hella dry. I adjusted my sprinklers for much much earlier in the day and I started them almost 3 weeks ahead of normal schedule which is just insanity.
I hate to say this out loud. This is consistently windier/drier than 2012/13 when we had the Waldo Canyon fire followed by the Black Forest Fire. It’s happening in March, April, and early May. If these slow storms moving across northern CA / northern Rockies continue into June, with an added 15 degrees of temps…the bomb out there waiting for another deranged person to start a fire…

Driving out 24 over Wilkerson pass to Gunnison this weekend, the grasses look like late Fall in Spring sunlight. This is driving east on Rt 50 looking towards Monarch Pass. That looks like smoke, but it isn’t. It’s dust.

5C11730C-8F5E-4129-BE63-076859A760FB.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I hate to say this out loud. This is consistently windier/drier than 2012/13 when we had the Waldo Canyon fire followed by the Black Forest Fire. It’s happening in March, April, and early May. If these slow storms moving across northern CA / northern Rockies continue into June, with an added 15 degrees of temps…the bomb out there waiting for another deranged person to start a fire…

Driving out 24 over Wilkerson pass to Gunnison this weekend, the grasses look like late Fall in Spring sunlight. This is driving east on Rt 50 looking towards Monarch Pass. That looks like smoke, but it isn’t. It’s dust.

View attachment 168905

Its gonna be a very dangerous fire season (seems that fire season is now year round though) hopefully people behave and are extremely careful still the inevitable will happen (heck I even saw a fireball go across the night sky at pretty low elevation the other day, im sure it landed somewhere not too far) so be ready and alert. Thankfully we live where the water flows starts, I feel for those in other states that rely on our snow for water.

That said, there is still some skiing to be had. Think alpine and northish exposures.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was windy in FL but not on the same scale as here. Have friends that were in Moab camping and riding. Said it was pretty windy there.

While I agree the melt is on skiing is not over at A Basin quite yet. Still some good snow.

Looks like since @James, @mdf, and @Tony S departed A Basin everyone else has too. If you like uncrowded spring snow ogsmile

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

People still hiking the East Wall even with some wind (not me)

IMG_1154.JPG

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
My youngest son is graduating high school and we are gong to get up for some late season skiing. This has been my biggest bust year in spring skiing, but I had a great snow year.

Looking forward to a beer at BML and slush turns. It does have to melt.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like 'Zuma and Beavers are now done for the season at A-Basin as well.
A pretty rapid melt-down in the past week.

Looking on the webcams yesterday there also appears to be quite a dust layer on the snow.
I noticed a dust layer came in back in mid-April during a wind event, but got buried under some of the following snowstorms.

Kite Pilot

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone been to the Jane recently?
I skied there Tuesday for just a couple hours on Needles Eye, Boiler and Derailer. It was actually pretty good in the bumps, but sticky on some of the trails to get there and to the lift. The trail getting to Super Gage is getting pretty thin. Panoramic was closed as it has been most of the week so only Super Gage and Sunnyside open. Hardly anyone there so that was nice.

Last edited:

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Status
Not open for further replies.