• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skied A Basin yesterday and today, first chair today, second chair yesterday.
Bluebird but wind. Icy re-freeze to slush yesterday; mostly corn snow to slush today, not as icy.
But today a tad colder because of more wind at the bottom.

Much is shut down. (Only the main upper and lower lifts open. 5-7 groomed runs at the top, 3-4 at the bottom. 10 good.)
But no rock hits yet, good snow. Good grooming. Few people. No lines. Familiar faces!
Like Josh the Colo. chess champion, and Lesley, who gets free pro skis from Liberty, including next year's on her feet now, as an associate.

I was informed that A Bay has been open for 208 days as of today, by Lesley, who has skied 189 of them, not necessarily all at A Bay.
(She's a former A Bay ski instructor. It shows.)

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have this "smoke" also up in Summit County, maybe. The news said this was actually dust being blown up from the Southwest, from early heat and dryness there.

What happened, @nay ? Did the first version of this post get moved to some fire conditions thread? Or did I dream such content briefly? :huh:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I got back out again after a number days waiting for T-bar to open but either failing to or occuring later than I was prepared to head out for. I've skied the lower groomers a few days and had enough given that temps didn't let the snow be firm corduroy when the lifts were running.

IMG_20220514_110055443.jpg

IMG_20220514_110057697.jpg
Coverage looked pretty good.

I headed out to try CJ's on my first run. It was pretty nice; not smooth but soft and forgiving.

IMG_20220514_112711837.jpg
Looking back on the way to CJs. George's was not as soft as desired when I attempted it. Imperial Bowls was lumpy, heavy and wet. Powder 8s delivered fairly smooth turns up top and soft, forgiving snow top to bottom. CJs was kind of lumpy, too, but a fun run just the same.

I returned to Powder 8s and finished that run in Y. Another lap yielded really smooshy soft in Horseshoe.

strava2286710251557357579.jpg

Tomorrow is closing day. I hope to get out in some vintage gear, altough probably just softgoods, not hard.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today was the first really warm day at A Basin I've been to this spring: got pretty mushy, but good coverage still. Not many people, no lines, nice.

With luck, I might still make it to 100 days.

I also found out that in spite of a false announcement of Mary Jane closing on May 12 somewhere online, Mary Jane says, when I called them just now, that they plan to stay open as long as possible, "as long as the snow allows": right now, they are tentatively aiming at May 22nd possibly, next Sunday, but they will go longer if snow allows. And right now, 5" new is forecast for Saturday, the 21st, with more on Sunday and Monday.

(There is supposed to be a round of new powder from Friday night to Monday, maybe as much as a foot total at Mary Jane, plus or minus, so that might be enough to keep them open longer, dunno.)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My lift served ski season ended today at Breck. It was a fun day with more nice soft conditions, plenty of sun and less wind. I am at about 100 days and happy to say that it was a pretty nice season despite all the weather challenges.

IMG_20220515_120415400.jpg Baldy, Guyot and home on the Front Range.

IMG_20220515_124216903.jpg
There are some nice tracks in Fourth of July Bowl.

IMG_20220515_141040326.jpg
In the backyard.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
We have this "smoke" also up in Summit County, maybe. The news said this was actually dust being blown up from the Southwest, from early heat and dryness there.

What happened, @nay ? Did the first version of this post get moved to some fire conditions thread? Or did I dream such content briefly? :huh:
The Hunter Creek “Rx” fire was prescribed burn (hence “Rx”) so I was getting ahead of things.

It’s been dust in the high country for sure, this was smoke (smell) I guess running up the front range from the big fires in NM. It’s been clear since.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The smoke because of Stetson Hills?
No, I think it came up from New Mexico, Stetson was a smallish grass fire and this was big fire smoke. High level winds from the west…NM didn’t make much sense…but NOAA had it in the forecast and never mentioned the source.

I wondered about High Park fire west of Cripple Creek, but that doesn’t seem to be a big smoke generator.

James

Out There
Instructor
We saw this apparent fire behind Keystone on May 7th from the Loveland Ridge.

8A502934-C25D-4D42-B47C-39EEFDED8CC6.jpeg

Reactions: nay

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone skiing tomorrow? What better, A-basin or the Jane?

Looks like they closed the C Lift side of the Jane and they are down to 13 runs, but still, some of the classic bump runs:

A-basin has 22 runs open, with just Ramrod, West Wall, and Falcon as the more interesting stuff:

Reactions: nay

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anyone skiing tomorrow? What better, A-basin or the Jane?

Looks like they closed the C Lift side of the Jane and they are down to 13 runs, but still, some of the classic bump runs:

A-basin has 22 runs open, with just Ramrod, West Wall, and Falcon as the more interesting stuff:
If Ramrod is the bump run next to and branching off of high noon, I think, then that got pirated for its snow by the snow cats, and is closed - maybe on Saturday evening, not sure. And West Wall is doing pretty poorly as of today, lots of brown stuff there. But lots of good runs too. Few rocks still.
The melt has been 3" per day the last three days, I was told. A lot of obvious melt.

But I've not been going to Mary Jane this season, so don't know which is better. (It's 50 minutes out from Summit/Silverthorne, where I mostly moved to this past summer.)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If Ramrod is the bump run next to and branching off of high noon, I think, then that got pirated for its snow by the snow cats, and is closed - maybe on Saturday evening, not sure.
Thanks! Ramrod is showing open on the grooming report but looking at the webcam, the bottom has been farmed. Wow that went quickly. Guess I'll head to the Jane with my rock skis and see what's left down there at lower elevation. ;)

1652757189808.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online