• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hello, new to the forum. I'm planning an early December ski trip and was wondering if it would be better to go to the Colorado epic resorts or to whistler. I'm a bit concerned about how many slopes would be open by Dec 4th at either Keystone, Breck, Vail or Beaver Creek. Right now it seems only about 5% of the terrain is opened. Not sure if Whistler would have more open terrain, and if its worth dealing with a border crossing and COVID testing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would save the money and go later on (2022). Unless you are really desperate and cant go skiing at all any other time. I think Vail will offer the best skiing right now and then Keystone.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Don't mean my reply to be ugly, but don't go early December to most places anymore unless you want to ski fake snow. Best to wait till at least January. Seasons are getting started later and later lately.

Some years there is some excellent skiing in December, this is not one of those years.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Some years there is some excellent skiing in December, this is not one of those years.

1637867196336.png
Is it not November 25th?

There is a lot of December left - like ALL OF IT!
Suck is a matter of perspective. I never had a ski day like yesterday, on the legendary pistes of Virginia. :daffy:

We'll have plenty of great days in December - maybe not in early December.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Some years start strong early, some get strong late. Anytime on skis is good. The proper attitude is imperative to enjoying whatever comes your way.

I apologize, sort of, for waxing philosophical but I'm getting so much good energy from friends and strangers not to pay it forward.

Last edited:

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I would save the money and go later on (2022). Unless you are really desperate and cant go skiing at all any other time. I think Vail will offer the best skiing right now and then Keystone.
Every year i plan a trip for mid-December to CO. Some years, I've been concerned about lack of snow only to have a large storm provide days of multiple inches leading up to my arrival. Some years, the snow cover has thin spots until January.
Early December, however, is even more a crapshoot. I don't like the odds and avoid it.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well, the forecast is horrendous so might as well go skiing or mountain biking or both.

We’re supposed to get more into the storm track at +7 days, but forecasts at +7 days are useless. Will say again, it’s really hard to argue against persistence in climatology even when you really want to.

If it’s not going to snow a bunch, nice warm days in the 50’s make life pretty nice.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skiing will happen for sure. My worry is we’ll get a storm after this dry spell, then the typical January thaw will hit.
Ok, hopefully things will change in a week.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Late to this thread.

wife and I are holding out to head up until late December, hopefully to get a lot more days in in Jan Feb and March, April. Last year we got out in Nov and skied a ton in Dec. not great snow and froze lol.

hopefully the pattern will shift and we will get some snow here soon

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
View attachment 149371
Is it not November 25th?

There is a lot of December left - like ALL OF IT!
Suck is a matter of perspective. I never had a ski day like yesterday, on the legendary pistes of Virginia. :daffy:

We'll have plenty of great days in December - maybe not in early December.

Yeah, I meant early December. There is still hope for mid to late December.

That said, any skiing is good skiing and right now we can go skiing here.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Well, the forecast is horrendous so might as well go skiing or mountain biking or both.

We’re supposed to get more into the storm track at +7 days, but forecasts at +7 days are useless. Will say again, it’s really hard to argue against persistence in climatology even when you really want to.

If it’s not going to snow a bunch, nice warm days in the 50’s make life pretty nice.

That is the good thing this season so far. Little snow but it has been warm instead of a freezer and it has not been crazy windy either.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Yeah, I meant early December. There is still hope for mid to late December.

That said, any skiing is good skiing and right now we can go skiing here.
Don't tell anyone, but right now, the lift line at Chair 4 is 6 minutes, Chair 2 is 1 minute.
And the Village parking structure is less than half full!
Go figure!
973E1BDD-F66A-4262-B6A6-35D45C281F6F.png 5D16B535-A179-4F4D-A73F-BE41D87597FD.png 81C857A8-EBEE-44D7-800E-C55ABE8220AD.png

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ooh…I might head that way and maybe get there before Omicron.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Powder High

Getting off the lift
Skier
Breckenridge is having an atrocious start. Only 11 runs open out of 187. Nine on Peak 8 and two on Peak 9. That's all.

I have a trip planned for the first 10 days of January but I'm thinking of canceling everything and moving it to February. I'll give December a couple of weeks.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is suppose to be pretty nice this week. I think mid 40's - 50 degrees and sunshine to start Dec. for Frisco/Copper. I'm not sure how the wet bulb temps will be but could affect snow making. Copper did start spinning Flyer and opened a couple more runs this past weekend.

In the overall grand scheme of things are we really much different from last season? I haven't checked lately but prior to the snow we got this past Wed I think just about everyone that was reporting snow last season at this time is within an 1" or 2" of this season with the exception of Loveland. Loveland was reporting about 2x more snow than any place in Summit prior to last Wed's storm.

The Summit Daily had a good article about a week ago on early season snow and compared each resort on lifts spinning and runs open over the last 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor