• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2021-2022 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There have been several threads about the warm temps and what runs will be open at various resorts. Here is an article from the Denver Post that talks about how skiing in CO is affected from the dry and warm start to the season.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I got back to it today. It felt like starting all over again. Because I was starting all over again. 10 days forced leave from skiing sucks.

IMG_20211130_084139514.jpg
Skiing with the 'old' guys. I'm not slow and I didn't have to wait. Me (not taking a very good selfie), Steve, Glenn and C.J. I asked how C.J.'s cabin got its name. A fun story. Ski with me to hear it. ;-)

IMG_20211130_084641304.jpg
The view of the Front Range never gets old. It does need to get whiter, though.

IMG_20211130_085541582_HDR.jpg
Some figure Zs in Horseshoe Bowl and a lot of fracture lines.

IMG_20211130_085547292_HDR.jpg
Fortunately only a small area cleared to ground.

strava2693331658178038520.jpg
Actually 8 runs, I started Strava late. Out on SL skis making lots of turns was a good workout.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
That looks to be a common theme for the next week. I took the snow tires off my Jeep for now.

Geez it was really good. Riding in Eagle is a bit of a sufferfest because the trails drop off the plateau in the backcountry behind the town and they are all fall line. Incredible downhill, you want an e-bike back up.

It’s a great case where mixed motorcycle use in trail design makes for really good fun so long as you are willing to do the uphill grunt work (or are smart and have battery assist).

012BCA3B-E873-4675-A68F-6859BC1DC7E0.jpeg 6BDAA471-54CF-4A6F-8BC9-D6DD71E2F2F6.jpeg 47375AF6-73FC-4FB2-8022-E7AB1F56C157.jpeg CCD383C8-94FF-4664-ADE5-2E74DB96510B.jpeg 131C27A2-3CDE-4889-A7BA-9851DDABF1B4.jpeg DD9DEA18-B4CE-4A5B-836E-17500E1CBF8B.jpeg 1FB06BB2-E3B4-47DB-BF90-8D741CBB52ED.jpeg

A well deserved Outer Range Hazy IPA at the local coffee house.

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
A well deserved Outer Range Hazy IPA at the local coffee house.
Beer at Color Coffee -- you're fancy. With the Bonfire closed, there are disappointingly limited options right now, but I'm not ready to resign myself to Eagle Ranch just yet.

Reactions: nay

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Breckenridge is having an atrocious start. Only 11 runs open out of 187. Nine on Peak 8 and two on Peak 9. That's all.

I have a trip planned for the first 10 days of January but I'm thinking of canceling everything and moving it to February. I'll give December a couple of weeks.

Breck is actually not looking too bad. It is well positioned to do very well with just a foot or 2 of snow. The wind has been kind to the zone.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Conditions at LL are getting scarier. I hit a couple rocks today and I hadn't yet this season. This warm stretch without snow is doing its damage.

Ran into @Drahtguy Kevin and @Chris Geib, so it was good to catch up with them.

All the snow blowing equipment got moved over to 6/Ptarmigan. So....come on mother nature.

How's nix/upper richards holding up? Deciding if it's worth going up before Sunday.

Reactions: Ron

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
All the snow blowing equipment got moved over to 6/Ptarmigan. So....come on mother nature.

How's nix/upper richards holding up? Deciding if it's worth going up before Sunday.

Upper Richard's really needs some winch cat action. The troughs in many places are down to the ground. Nix looked OK looking up at it, but I didn't venture in after my experience on Richard's.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
There have been several threads about the warm temps and what runs will be open at various resorts. Here is an article from the Denver Post that talks about how skiing in CO is affected from the dry and warm start to the season.

Colorado resorts are becoming more and more reliant on snowmaking to get something opened for the holiday season. I wonder how that’s going to go when we are practically out of water to keep basic living needs met throughout the west. Skiing may get shelved a lot quicker then we have expected at this rate.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
In other news, the coverage and snow at Cameron Pass was great. It actually looked like winter up there (in NE-E aspects). Even down close to the road there was 2-3 feet of snow base. You could ski top to bottom no problem.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
Got in my first A-Basin skiing this season this afternoon. Arrived at 1 pm and got the best slot in Row 2 of the Early Riser lot.

The Good:

I bet there were only 75 folks on the mountain at any one time today. I'm not sure I can recall having so much elbow room in early ski season here. Skied straight onto BME and Lenawee lifts all afternoon. Got to practice skiing switch (needs lots of improvement), with no worry about taking someone out in a collision.

I decided to risk my brand new Blossom AM77 skis on A-Basin's November conditions. I had a blast letting the Blossoms run free and I got to play with a lot of different turn shapes. Wow---those skis are so smooth, calm and happy at both speed and just touring. Looking forward to a lot of time with the Blossoms this season.

High Noon and Ramrod in very good shape.

Overcast and a steady breeze kept the snow base from shrinking even though air temp was in the low 40s.

Cause for Some Worry:

Limited terrain, esp. Upper Mountain. The available ski area on Lenawee Face was roped off to about 40%, maybe at most 50%, of the typical surface area for that face. Humbug fared better because its walls shade the snow on this run better than other parts of the Upper Mountain. Nothing else up top was open. Lenawee Parks had one cautious line open by late afternoon, but I wasn't going to risk my new skis dodging the many rock patches in that area today.

So, I had a lovely afternoon at A-Basin with such a small crowd! But if the Early Riser lot fills and the High Noon lot half-fills this weekend, look out---it will be way too congested on the current limited terrain.

OpenSnow says next snowfall for Summit County is a week from today.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Colorado resorts are becoming more and more reliant on snowmaking to get something opened for the holiday season. I wonder how that’s going to go when we are practically out of water to keep basic living needs met throughout the west. Skiing may get shelved a lot quicker then we have expected at this rate.
Water law is a fascinating subject. You can’t just take somebody’s water rights, especially if you live downstream, and this is water that becomes ice and then becomes water again. As the saying goes, better to be upstream with a shovel and a ditch than downstream with a decree. It is the ‘Colorado’ river and it’s headwaters.

We are in a 20 year mega drought and it has become one of the most severe in our climate records. These things precede skiing, and, unfortunately, have been much worse. We only talk about it in terms of climate change when at the core it is just the climate.

I’m riding my bike - I have no reason to make myself sad skiing dirt in December. I have to say that since taking up mountain biking equally to skiing and having access to excellent dry winter riding, my anxiety about snow has gone way down. There will be great turns in spring, there always are.

Right now there are great turns on dirt, you just have to pick which way you’d prefer to access them. We will be right back at last year by the time it maybe snows again…and this is where we had the good early snow. There are other climate zones that are way worse off than this.

BE4BABC9-01F2-4C95-B8CA-B6EC7DC8A702.jpeg

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Beer at Color Coffee -- you're fancy. With the Bonfire closed, there are disappointingly limited options right now, but I'm not ready to resign myself to Eagle Ranch just yet.
And avocado toast pre-ride - this is what happens when you go from driving old Toyota 4x4’s to a new Subaru.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Water law is a fascinating subject. You can’t just take somebody’s water rights, especially if you live downstream, and this is water that becomes ice and then becomes water again. As the saying goes, better to be upstream with a shovel and a ditch than downstream with a decree. It is the ‘Colorado’ river and it’s headwaters.

We are in a 20 year mega drought and it has become one of the most severe in our climate records. These things precede skiing, and, unfortunately, have been much worse. We only talk about it in terms of climate change when at the core it is just the climate.

I’m riding my bike - I have no reason to make myself sad skiing dirt in December. I have to say that since taking up mountain biking equally to skiing and having access to excellent dry winter riding, my anxiety about snow has gone way down. There will be great turns in spring, there always are.

Right now there are great turns on dirt, you just have to pick which way you’d prefer to access them. We will be right back at last year by the time it maybe snows again…and this is where we had the good early snow. There are other climate zones that are way worse off than this.

View attachment 149973

We havent had a fantastic season here in about 11 years. 11 years.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is another good article in the Summit Daily talking about how varied Nov snowfall can be depending on the year.

Just talking Copper and the month of Nov

58 inches in 2018 ...13 inches in 2019 ... this season 31 inches (allegedly ogsmile)

Interesting that Loveland only shows 28" in Nov according to Open Snow. They must have received a bunch of snow in Oct. because they are reporting 65"

1638459521381.png
1638459602039.png

Reactions: nay

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

I avoided it yesterday. looking up at it from Spill way there was too much exposure. We were lucky to hit it last week. However, conditions on Mambo and lower Richards were excellent. Mambo was hero snow.

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Hoping 6 and Ptarmigan opens, I have a friend coming in from the EC and that kind of terrain is perfect for him. I dont think we'll have anything decent to ski here.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Hoping 6 and Ptarmigan opens, I have a friend coming in from the EC and that kind of terrain is perfect for him. I dont think we'll have anything decent to ski here.
Me too. 6 was very close before tgiving but this weather hasn't helped. Good news is turtle creek is mostly filled in which is typically the biggest challenge to opening those two.

Reactions: Ron
Status
Not open for further replies.